Coin collection

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by tarabosarge, Oct 5, 2021.

1. tarabosarge

tarabosarge New Member

So my boyfriend works construction and was tearing down a home that had caught fire… the homeowner had a decent coin collection and wanted to sell.. some of the coins have been graded but we are unaware of the value the penny in the pics below have no year.. what would be the value of something like that??

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Ummm - Ask the owner of the coins. Before anyone can conduct business over these coins, they need to know that they have been aquired legally.

4. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

5. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Cool error coin. The ones with a date are worth more than without. That's an older ANACS soap bar type holder.

masterswimmer likes this.
  6. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Nice error coin. As @Razz stated, the ones with dates command more money. Yours appears to be about a 75% off center strike.

Based on eBay completed sold listings yours could go for $20-$30.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

John Burgess likes this.
  8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

That price sounds very high to me. I’ve seen boxes of dateless, off-center strikes priced at a dollar or two apiece.

Look at it this way. Such pieces, with a date, are traced to one year. The pieces with no dates could have been made over several decades. They are much more common.

9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

not an offcenter, the flatness on the struck edge bottom of the coin, that flatness was cause by two coins in the striking chamber and smashed into each other on the strike creating the flat edge. $20-$30 sounds like the right price to actually sell it.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Error coin prices are difficult to determine, as they are worth what someone is willing to pay. Going by like sales in the past can be used, but prices fluctuate regularly. The coin in question has been verified, graded and slabbed, which is good, but why are you considering purchasing it? Are you and your boyfriend going to start collecting error coins? If so, it is a nice beginning if you pay a fair price.

Draft saved Draft deleted