Coin collection left untouched for 20+ years

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by FromFred, Jan 19, 2019.

1. FromFred

FromFred New Member

My mother-in-law recently died and we found her husband's (deceased) coin collection hidden under a bed. He was very into the hobby in the late 60s and 70s and want to at least stabilize what he had. Hopefully my son can get some joy out of it.
    A bunch are stored in plastic 2x2s and seem to be doing well. Attached is a photo of a 2x2 where the edge split and allowed air in.
    Can I do anything here....or do I just get newer 2x2 or the plastic discs for storage and leave it as is?

Also...are their guidelines on what I should store in similar plastic 2x2s, paper 2x2s that I staple in the corners, vs the hard plastic discs with the foam rings?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

New, non PVC flips. And send us more pics of those beautiful coins!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

make sure those plastic flips are PVC-free. Are they soft and pliable, or stiffer and less flexible? also, any smell coming from them, like a shower curtain smell? If they are PVC you'll need to replace them all, and rinse the coins in acetone before reholdering.

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

What a wonderful gift! I would make one simple suggestion. Moisture in the air is the main ingredient when it comes to discoloring on your coins. Something as simple as a Tupperware container can mitigate a lot of that and keep them fresh for future generations. And I will echo what @C-B-D says..... May we see more please? We are a helpless lot around here and coin photos seem to keep us going.... Welcome!

6. FromFred

FromFred New Member

7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

8. Geoff Miller

Geoff Miller Indrid Cold

9. Geoff Miller

Geoff Miller Indrid Cold

Something that has worked well for me over the years is that I store my Dansco albums each in gallon zip lock bags, then the bags are placed in a clean well insulated cooler that was purchased just for that. I live along side the Gulf of Mexico and the humidity is oppressive here seasonally. I keep moisture absorbing material in the cooler and have had no problem with any of my coins stored that way. Hope this helps.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

More pictures = More likes

(to a degree)
    This was meant to be a joke

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  11. FromFred

FromFred New Member

U

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2019
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It just toned on the edge and some collectors love toned coins. That coin has great luster so leave as is or put on a new flip.

Welcome to CT.

13. EyeAppealingCoins

EyeAppealingCoins Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted