Coin collection inheritance

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rumandbass, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Check to see if the 1879 Morgan is a Carson City.

tpsadler likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

As mentioned, get a Red Book. You can find them at Barnes & Nobles stores. ~$20. It's worth the money. There will be information in it on grading as well, so you can get a general idea of the coins value.

4. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

The title is actually A Guide Book of United States Coins, and it's published by Whitman. It's called the Red Book because of the color of its cover. U.S. Coin Digest is another red book, but it's published by Krause.

5. Mike Thorne

You can also order a much less expensive edition from online booksellers such as Amazon.com. Or try eBay. I'm sure there are hundreds listed there.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I say tomayto, and you say tomahto. Big deal! If you Google the title I mentioned, you still get the correct book. It has been called the Red Book for decades.

Chris

tpsadler likes this.
  7. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

True. Depends on desire to acquire.

My point in including the price was that it's not a big investment for someone who doesn't have a desire to enter the hobby, but needs information to decipher a collection. IMO, $10, $15 or $20, will potentially paid back in spades when selling the coins.

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Welcome to CT. Though most of what I'm seeing in your images isn't worth much more than the silver content, you do have a few nice ones mixed in. The '21 Peace dollar is the key coin of the series (along with the '28) and carries a pretty good margin over just the silver content. Also the 62 proof set has a few beauties in it. The half looks like a well preserved coin that may be what we call a cameo proof. This is the result of fresh dies and can get pricey. The '62 proof nickel looks like a nice toner and can also carry a decent premium.

9. Mike Thorne

My reply
    I gave the correct title for the original poster, who said he was a complete novice. I know that coin people know what is meant by Red Book.

10. Erik Soderstrom

Erik Soderstrom New Member

Nice key date 1921 Peace Dollar. This is the last year that tha Morgan Dollar was produced. The population of Morgans in 1921 were rather large. The 1921 Peace Dollar was a very low production year. That is what makes it a high value coin. Also, the fact that both Silver Dollars (Morgan/Peace) were made in the same year is rare. Good luck , I am going on 4 years now in the coin hobby and it has been alot of fun. Keep at it and read alot of information and ask a variety of people there thoughts. You will find a good many collectors are very kind as well as helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted