Coin collection inheritance

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rumandbass, Jan 20, 2016.

1. rumandbass

rumandbass New Member

Hello! I'm a complete coin novice and would like to find a trustworthy source of knowledge for my newly inherited coin collection. I have about 100 coins ranging from proofs to mints from the early 1800s through the 1960s. I've tried looking up information on them online, but it's really hard to figure out their value nor do I fully understand the rating system.

If someone would be willing to point me in the right direction, or knows of a trustworthy source who will give me fair prices, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Erik Soderstrom and Endeavor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

If you can post some pictures of the coins, clear enough where we can see date/mint and condition, that would be your best starting point.

rumandbass likes this.
  4. rumandbass

rumandbass New Member

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

If you're interested in joining the hobby, the first thing you should do is purchase the Red Book of United States Coins published by Whitman Books. It is available at their online store. (NOTE: Buy the cheaper version, not the monster volume.) I don't advise you to place too much emphasis on their price guides, but it is best known for its detailed information about every coin that has ever been produced or used in the US since colonial times.

Chris

ddollard58 and rumandbass like this.
  6. rumandbass

rumandbass New Member

thank you Chris, I will look into that. I'm not actually looking to get into the hobby, I'd just like to know more about what my grandma left to me. I think a lot of these were things she saw on TV or got in the mail, so they probably aren't worth more than face value. Some are .900 silver though, so they may be worth a bit more.

ddollard58 likes this.
  7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Welcome!
    Even if you don't plan on picking up the hobby, The Red Book will be a valuable resource in liquidating your collection. The more you know, the lower your chances of being taken advantage of when selling.

ddollard58, Endeavor and rumandbass like this.
  8. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. Although I don't really see anything rare, looks like some nice coins.

For the most part everyone here is helpful and very knowledgeable. Taking the consensus opinion is usually accurate. You are correct that several of those coins in your photos are silver and therefore worth at least the value of the metal. Any half dollars, quarters and dimes from 1964 and earlier are 90% silver. Kennedy half dollars from 1965 to 1970 are 40% silver.

The value of your inherited coins will ultimately depend on condition and rarity. My recommendation is to look at eBay's completed auctions (as in already sold) as well as current listings, especially Buy-It-Now since active auction prices are still not finalized.

I second Chris's recommendation to purchase a Red Book. It's definitely worth its price. Like Chris also mentioned, don't put much faith in the price guide. Only use it to gauge whether something does have some value and to compare more or less its value to other coins of that series/type.

Good luck!

9. rumandbass

rumandbass New Member

Great advice. Thank you very much! I'll post some more that I have to get some opinions.

ddollard58 likes this.
  10. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

For someone who is only interested in establishing net value of an inheritance and not learning about the coin collecting. The Red Book would be a base level. A none collector should be aware for the value to be of any coin or set is based upon its condition. The Red Book at best will only show somewhat a retail level and what type of item you now own. Best bet is be patient an do not do anything immediately and find someone in your close area you can trust they know how to deal and understands coin market. A number people on this forum are capable of helping you.
    In the photo you have provided I only see one with a value ~$100 that is the 1921 Peace Dollar but that would also be based upon the back of that coin. I see other 90% Silver Types and a few Year Mint and Proof Sets. Good Luck in your endeavors.

11. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I like the '03 Silver Eagle, if you decide to get rid of it, let me know :)

ddollard58 likes this.
  12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

One piece of advice: do not clean or polish your coins.

13. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

Red Book
    Red Book
    Red Book

14. rumandbass

rumandbass New Member

I learned that one from watching Pawn Stars heh.

Santinidollar and spirityoda like this.
  15. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

The silver ones are worth at least 10X-12X face value.

ddollard58 likes this.
  16. chuck123

chuck123 Active Member

I like the walking liberty half dollars. Let me know if you decide to sell them. I am also interested in the quarters and the other halfs

17. chuck123

chuck123 Active Member

I can make you an offer for it all if you would like. I am not a dealer but I am a collector and kinda like it all.

18. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

The 21 peace dollar is a key to the series. Surprised nobody mentioned that yet.

ddollard58 and Kirkuleez like this.
  19. rumandbass

rumandbass New Member

What is the best way to post pictures of my coins? Should I do front/back individually to get the best detail possible, or can I put multiples in the same picture?

20. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Individuals are always best IMO

21. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Always post both sides of the coin.
    Take your photos straight on, not from an angle.
    Be sure that they are well lighted and have no glare.

silentnviolent likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted