Coin collecting

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tx_BoneCollector, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Tx_BoneCollector

Tx_BoneCollector New Member

I’ve looked and and not any that are done through PCGS or NGC, just dealers from all over the state of Texas

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind what you want to do with your coins. Absolutely do not collect them for investment purposes. Do collect them based on what you like or think your kids or grandkids might like down the road. Coin collecting is the road to discovering history, and it will live on with your kids and grandkids. That's the real beauty of coin collecting, discovering the history of coin-minting and it's peculiarities especially in the form of varieties and errors. Purchase a Red Book to learn about almost all coins minted by the U.S. Mint. Then make your choice as to what you might want to start collecting. Good hunting!

LakeEffect and ripple like this.
  4. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I guess one could say that this is my third go around in regards to coin collecting. Each time my interest/focus has changed. If I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't waste my time and money.

ripple and Kentucky like this.
  5. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

Very nice! I hope to see it again in the future in a graded slab. Good luck with your collection!

6. Woodman60

Woodman60 Mercury Dimes Franklin Halves

I would have the 1943 copper cent verified:

Chinese counterfeiters are manufacturing some high-quality counterfeit coins to deceive coin collectors in the United States. These coins are made to resemble a genuine 1943 Lincoln cent, and the Chinese use copper blanks so they won't stick to a magnet.
    Unfortunately, there is no easy way to tell the difference between a genuine 1943 copper penny and a Chinese counterfeit. Fortunately, Lincoln cent experts at a third party grading service can tell the difference by closely inspecting the coin under a microscope. Additionally, a professional numismatist may be able to tell the difference for you before you send it to a third-party grading service

7. John Wright

John Wright Well-Known Member

Collect what you love. If it brings you pleasure, it's right for you. The coin is the coin .. is the coin .. is the coin .. is .. 'Grade' is merely somebody else's OPINION of the coin. If YOU really like it, likely others will too.

STU, wxcoin and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

If you live near Houston, U.S. Coins would be the place to take that coin. Heritage Auctions is in Dallas. You could contact them. There is also FriscoMint in Austin. He is a reputable dealer that may also be able to help you. If the coin is real the grading fee is going to be closer to $2500 through PCGS. They don't grade rare coins like that for $30-$40.

https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

If you become a PCGS member then there are PCGS member only shows. You could submit your coin at one of those shows. It is a 4 hour turnaround for that coin at one of their shows. They recently had a show in New Orleans.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. STU

STU Active Member

I collect what interests me slabbed coins are most of the time are assumed authentic but I only have slabbed coins that I am not sure if the coin is real and worth more than the coin shops around here are offering me like the 1840 silver dollar they offered me 20.00 it graded high so I am glad I had it slabbed

Draft saved Draft deleted