Coin Collecting, Patience, and Frustration

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kevinfred, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

I've loved this hobby. Summer months lend more to outdoor activity, but I'm still always looking for those elusive pieces. Despite understanding the hobby requires (and teaches) patience... it still doesn't make it any less frustrating sometimes! ;)

I've been working on a PCGS set of low to mid-grade MS Peace dollars - 60 to 63. Part of my self imposed challenge was to have it 'affordable'. Even after learning that a nice AU-58 can be more desirable than a low MS piece, I started with the goal of having MS coins. That is where I want to stay. These last three coins are proving very difficult. I've spent the last 7-8 months searching for a 24-S, 27-S and a 35-S. Could the common mint mark be a clue to my order? I've found ebay to have companies listing the SAME coins *over and over*... It's nuts! I've watched the same coins re-listed for literally months on end!! Does it really boil down to just waiting for THAT coin?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

Use your brain buy them raw, ....then figure what you what to do.

4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Yes, it can take a while to find those last few items, even if they're not RARE, just uncommon. There may be a 100 of them out there all meh strikes and they just don't talk to you. So keep looking. Look in unconventional places. It's all in fun.

Or start another / different set, while you keep looking for your last few coins.

spirityoda likes this.
  5. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

That's why I have 15 unfinished collections [emoji14]

Paul_62, green18, medoraman and 2 others like this.
  6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Odds are that, if you recall seeing certain coins multiple times, they stood out for a reason. Those coins are likely the targets of your desire. There is probably something special about each of them which separates them from the crowd.

It is likely that, for the very same reason, the sellers of those coins have them priced at a level which gives you pause. It is natural that a dealer will price higher that coin which is harder to replace than that which is not.

It is entirely likely that not-so-special coins of the same dates which you do not recall seeing may still be there as well, or they may already have sold at lesser prices.

I know it seems crazy that the same coins have been listed for months on end, but consider the dealer's perspective for a moment. Many dealers have seen the same amount of interest in that certain coin . . . say 6 or 8 watchers . . . for the past 3 months, yet the coin has not sold.

Is that so unlike your experience? No, it is both the buyer and the seller wanting to transact that coin, but not reaching out to each other to find a way to make the deal work . . . it's really that simple.

Good luck to you in your pursuits . . .

- Mike

7. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

Calm down .....

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Nice to see you again @Kevinfred, haven't seen your mug in a good while.

I agree, a nice AU-58 is more times than not a nicer coin than a lowball MS. Really it would be tough to get some of the more common dates like 22, 23 and 24 slabbed low MS. Who would spend the bucks to put that in a slab when MS-66 can be easily obtained. Learn to grade and pick up some raw pieces.

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

you could try sending e-mails to those Ebay sellers and tell them a price you are comfortable paying without insulting them. I have bought 4 coins off ebay by talking down the price. I was happy and they were happy to finally sell the coin.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    JPeace$ and green18 like this.
  10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would say be patient. the longer time you wait for the better coin the happier you will be with your coin set. I can remember someone in here posting a 2 cent complete set that really blew me totally away.... it was a 40-50 year undertaking. the results amazing. I had never ever seen such a high end high grade collection that great before for 2 cent pieces and it even had the 2 last years that are even harder to find in high grade. i told him he must be rich. he laughed and said no.., but it was a long hard search for the best... in the end well worth it. i agreed quickly. :blackalien:

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just like knowledge, patience has to be learned. And the two are the most valuable things you can have in this hobby ;)

12. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

I have often said that this hobby of ours will teach you patience, whether you wanted to learn it or not.

13. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

All my collections are unfinished, and i will probably never finish them, because i cant find the coins anywhere

phankins11 likes this.
  14. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I think @Galen50 had a good suggestion, in looking at raw coins and get them slabbed yourself to match your collection. Not to imply you don't know about grading yourself (dunno if you do or don't), but at this point in your "career" it might be a good thing to branch out and start buying coins in the raw, and get them slabbed yourself.

Going along with that, getting off eBay is the next thing to consider. I'm guessing by the way you worded your post you're looking mostly on eBay. Not that it's a bad place (it can be!) to buy, but it's not the only place by a long shot, and maybe not the best either. And, your lack of finding something satisfactory for those three dates shows that fact.

Have you posted a wanted ad here on CoinTalk? It's free! Costs you a couple minutes to write up the post. Maybe nobody will reply, but what do you have to lose? Also, look at some dealer listings, go to local shows (if you have any nearby), etc. These aren't rare dates by any means, not the most common, but they should be out there for you to find.

15. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Why not try connecting to some dealers? Most probably see a lot more coins than you do and they can keep an eye open.

16. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

One thing you could do to never see the same eBay coin again that you already rejected (for price reasons, quality reasons, or other), is to use third-party software. The "TRASH" words list will see that same auction title and never show it to you again.

Since you are looking for very specific coins in specific grades, I highly recommend you set up a sieve. See here:

Tools You Should Be Using

Why make it harder than it needs to be? Good luck, I am in a similar situation. But if you prepare now, it will cost you a lot less frustration, and you will know as soon as a coin meets your criteria without ever having to look at false-positives or overpriced re-listed coins again.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Geeez Thad haven't you heard ? Buying on-line (read as ebay) is THE new way :rolleyes:

Unless you're an old fart and stuck in your ways that is :D

BadThad and geekpryde like this.
  18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

7 or 8 months - is that all? I have been looking for years for some of the right coins to fit in my album. And I search a lot of sites - from dealers, to ebay, to heritage, plus I went thru geeks list to see if I might find something. No luck so far. And yes I have watched the same coins be put on ebay month after month - some are over priced, some are just plain old problem coins in non-details holders.

19. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

This is why I don't collect sets any more.

I'm rather OCD so it was hard to break out of that mindset, but now I just collect what I like and I'm a happier camper.

20. Kevinfred

Kevinfred Junior Member

These are all GREAT posts/thoughts! I've learned to grade pretty well... However, buying raw coins online frightens me. A while back I started a thread on buying raw coins. I can't speak for the coasts or the south, but here in the midwest it seems dealers have lower grade examples in raw. Most higher stuff is slabbed one way or another. Could it get to a point where most coins are just flat-out slabbed?!?

21. superzimm

superzimm Well versed collector

Draft saved Draft deleted