Coin collecting is dying?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vess1, Apr 7, 2019.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I stared when I was 10. I think it works better if collectors begin their interest in this hobby when they are young. I have tried to correspond with the authors of history books to show them some of the 19th century political medalets that cover the issues they described in their books. I have yet to receive any level of interest from them.

You might leave the hobby for a while when you are a teenager because of girls and cars, but ultimately a good number of us come back to it. I was nerd when I was teenager so I didn’t as much interest in girls and cars ... or at least the girls didn't have much interest in me. Things got a lot better when I went to college.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

We'll know the hobby is dead if coin shows start to be populated mostly by kids under 10. If the older people with money stop showing up, that's the real end.

Seeing kids at coin shows may make older people feel better, but it really doesn't provide an accurate barometer for the hobby 20 years from now. So many other unpredictable variables will enter the equation in the interim.

Now, if successive generations of older people keep embracing the hobby then it will really remain healthy. We should worry more about these people showing up. Again, if they stop buying then there is no hobby.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I started at 5 or 6. I stopped at 10 or 12, and didn't start again until my late 40s.

I don't think I'm atypical (at least not in that way).

Santinidollar and yakpoo like this.
  5. Sholom

Sholom retired...

Merging ideas from another thread. I think the real danger to future collecting is the trend toward a cashless society.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  6. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

I've been looking to expand my collection of US double eagles particularly in the type I and type II Liberties.

I've had a horrible time finding any decent Lib 20's in 63 grade that weren't absolutely beat up or 1904's.

It also appears that some dates have prettier examples in 63 grade than others. Looking at the 1873's on Heritage I've seen some nice 63+ coins. There is also an extreme price gradient between 63 and 64 on this piece. Pop for HA is 94 ms-63's sold and only 8 64's.

Normally I collect Latin American (early Independent Nations era: 1810-1860 & Ancients but would like a few US types.

But actually the reason why I followed this topic is that some time ago I lived in Brazil for 3 years. I'm still a member of their coin collecting society. Several times I've talked to Brazilians I met at the gym or some place and they always tell me "yeah, my father collected coins a long time ago but when he passed away I gave them all away as that hobby is dead".

My experience is that the Brazilian numismatic scene is that it has always been a small fraction of the US one (1/20th, 1/100th the size ??) but many of those people are very serious & knowledgable.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

It used to be that the U.S. Mint made coins for commerce. You could actually buy something with a coin...and get change back!

A young kid, with a little knowledge, could find gems in their change that were worth more than face value...it was a treasure hunt!

Today's worthless coins have become an expensive nuisance. Even proof coins after 2006 use a laser frosting technique to make every coin look like old style rarities.

The fact is...the U.S. Mint hates coin collectors.

It blames coin collectors for the coin shortage of the early '60s. It's as if they are trying to destroy the hobby by flooding the market with junk coins that have no value in commerce and cost more to make than they can buy. How crazy is that?

There's no reason today for any coin less than a quarter...and even the quarter is on borrowed time.

Gallienus likes this.
  8. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Well they made a $10 gold piece in 1795. That had to have what: at least $1,000. in purchasing power. We made the cent, our 2nd smallest denomination in 1793 & we're still making them.

The silly Presidential dollars are worth really a cent , they needed a useable denomination for those: like $10 at least.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Why is coin collecting dying?

It is because we have forgotten how:

A) To identify and pass on the reality that a coin is valued upon it's condition not just it's eye appeal.

So, it has curb appeal does that mean that it looks like it was struck? If it doesn't then it does not reside in the MS category...

B) Most AU coins have a washed out look.

It is just like the old saying "She looked good from far but far from good".
    trying to pass off a coin that has unlimited surface wear as MS should take down the TPG's, Why doesn't it?

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I would say just the opposite, that we don't stress coins are important for their history and eye appeal, and not just for condition. We have to long given newbies the impression that if their coins aren't MS they are garbage.

Draft saved Draft deleted