Coin collecting habit

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nvb, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say hi.. and that I'm glad to have found this place, you seem like a decent lot.
    I've had a coin collecting relapse of sorts.. hadn't given it a thought in 30 years but going through my childhood collection sparked something and next thing I knew I was reading up about ancient coins.. then looking at ebay.. then boom I bought my first 7 this past week (Vcoins and Vauctions). Looking forward to chatting with some like minded folks who know a lot more than I do =)

nVb

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Welcome to your new old addiction :D.

Looking forward to seeing your coins and contributions!

4. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Welcome “back”!

ominus1 likes this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

welcome to CTA..you are amongst your kind and will feel right at home here :)

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Welcome @Nvb and we look forward to seeing your new coins,

7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. When you get a chance, how about posting a photo or two of some of your new ancients? (I love oxymorons.)

A good way to post photos that will make everyone here like you (even though they probably already do) is to post both sides in one photo and then provide as much information as you have about your coin. Including the size and weight makes everyone here go: "Aah, nice post."

Here's an example. I was going to post an image of this coin on a different thread about tetrarchs and beards, but half of Western civilization beat me to the punch. So I'll post it here as an example of how you might show off your coins:
    [​IMG]
    Constantius I
    Bronze Nummus
    Siscia mint, A.D. 300-301
    Obv: CONSTANTIUS NOB CAES
    Rev: SACRA MONETA AVGG ET CAESS NOSTR - Moneta, standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae
    SIS in exergue; [star] in left field, B in right
    RIC 135a
    28mm, 9.5g.

8. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

9. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Welcome! I look forward seeing your collection.

10. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Welcome Nvb:) Its nice of you to join this great forum. Be wonderfull to see your collection.
    John

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Welcome to CoinTalk Ancients @Nvb ! And super glad you rediscovered your coin hobby again! I watched this chat room for a couple of years before I started posting and participating. Great place to learn, relax, find out what Ancients you want to pursue. I suggest going back and browsing some of the past threads for some great info. Also, the SEARCH bar in the upper right of the page is a GREAT way to get some questions answered. Super group of people and a lot of nice experts are here, generously offering help!
    Kindest Regards,
    Brian

panzerman and Orfew like this.
  12. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

13. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Welcome, Nvb. I'm relatively new here myself. And I've really learned a lot through reading the posts.

Theodosius likes this.
  14. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

I too wish you a hearty welcome back. Coins are my drug of choice; what a great obsession.

Attached Files:

dlhill132, Theodosius and panzerman like this.
  15. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Welcome @Nvb, and @gsimonel, here's a Severan beard (earlier than the 293 AD tetrarchy of Diocletian, Maximian, Galerius, and Constantius).
    IMG_2399.jpg
    Septimius Severus (193 - 211 A.D)
    AR Denarius
    Obv: SEVERVS AVG PART MAX, Laureate head right, sporting a righteous beard
    Rev: RESTITVTOR VRBIS (Restorer of the City), Severus in military attire, spear in left hand, sacrificing over a tripod altar with right.
    Rome mint, 201 A.D.

With this coin the emperor advertises/proclaims his building projects in Rome and perhaps more broadly his efforts to restore order after the turbulent period where Pertinax, Septimus Severus, Didius Julianus, Pescennius Niger and Clodius Albinus all vied for control of Rome and ultimately Septimus Severus prevailed after defeating Clodius Albinus in bloody battle in Lugdunum (today Lyon, France) in 197.

16. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

What a warm welcome =)
    Here are some of my pickups.. These are the seller's images in all cases, coins havent arrived yet. I am still learning what appeals to me and just try to look at as many coins as possible, bookmarking ones that catch the eye.
    It's agonizing only picking a few to purchase..

[​IMG]

BRUTTIUM.KROTON.circa 480-430BC.AR.Nomos ( didrachm ). (7.67g, 20mm, 5h )
    Tripod, Heron standing left, volute in exergue.
    Reverse.Incuse tripod.
    Ref:SNG ANS 312.
    Good very fine, attractive gray tone.
    Ex: David Sellwood collection. Baldwins Argentium sale 4th June 2016. part lot 23
    *This was my first ancient. Knew I had to have a coin from this series. Love the toning and character of this coin

[​IMG]
    Lucania, Thourioi. ca. 400-350 B.C. AR nomos (23 mm, 7.34 g, 9 h). Head of Athena right, wearing Attic helmet adorned with Skylla / ΘΟΥΡΙΩΝ, bull charging right; in exergue, fish swimming right. HN Italy 1800; SNG ANS 1002-1014. Light porosity. Toned. Good fine.
    [​IMG]
    Mysia, Pergamon, 2nd – 1st century BC. Æ (19mm, 6.87g, 12h). Helmeted head of Athena r. R/ Trophy; monogram to inner l. SNG BnF 1893-5. Green patina, VF
    [​IMG]
    Antoninus Pius. AD 138-161. Æ Dupondius (27mm, 13.17 g, 6h). Rome mint. Struck AD 148. Radiate head right / Annona standing facing, head left, holding grain ears and rudder; modius filled with grain ears at feet to left. RIC III 847. VF, green patina. I love the well struck portrait here
    [​IMG]
    Kings of Persis, Ardaxšir (Artaxerxes) II (1st century BC). AR Drachm (22mm, 2.95g, 9h). Istakhr (Persepolis) mint. Diademed and draped large bust l., wearing mural crown; monogram to r. R/ Ardaxšir standing l. before altar, holding sceptre. Alram 570. VF / Fine. Also bought for the portrait
    [​IMG]
    Attribution: Prieur 79
    Date: 54-68 AD
    Obverse: Nero right
    Reverse: Eagle left on thunderbolt
    Size: 25.91mm
    Weight: 14.53 grams
    Description: nearing VF.

[​IMG]
    Hadrian, 117 - 138 AD
    Silver Denarius, Rome Mint, 18mm, 2.93 grams
    Obverse: HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS, Laureate head of Hadrian right.
    Reverse: COS III, Spes standing left holding flower and raising hem of skirt.
    RIC181. Hadrian looks good here.
    [​IMG]
    Reign of Basil II & Constantine VIII, 1025 - 1028 AD
    AE Follis, Constantinople Mint, 30mm, 10.78 grams
    Obverse: +EMMA NOVHA, Facig bust of Christ Pantokrator with two pellets in arms of nimbus, IC XC to either side.
    Reverse: + lhSUS XRISTUS bASILE bASILE in fould lines, floral scrolls above and below.
    Sear1818 // DOC A2.24a

Cucumbor, Alegandron, BenSi and 15 others like this.
  17. Ahhh,man...nice coins. Thanks for sharing!

18. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know the feeling. You see all the great auctions on sixbid, thousands of fantastic coins that need a new home.....and sadly most are beyond our budget:( Life is not fair:sorry:

FinishedWalkout likes this.
  19. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Wow. What great coins. You really have an eye for ancients. Your collection is off to a fantastic start.

FinishedWalkout likes this.
  20. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Nice start. Well done!

21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Welcome, and nice choices! That looks like a proper grab bag of ancient numismatic fun. :)
    Ah, but there's always next month's purchases to look forward to... or next week's. Or tomorrow's. :angelic::D

Draft saved Draft deleted