Coin Cleaning

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by susanlynn9, Jul 27, 2004.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well jimmy - let me see if I can help you out a bit with understanding why there are so many cleaned coins and why Scott Travers said what he did.

While I cannot quote a distinct date for the change in thoughts on the subject of cleaning coins - what I can say is that in years past, and years can mean centuries here, cleaning coins was the norm. In other words it was an accepted practice and just about everybody did it. That's why it is so hard to find original, uncleaned examples for many series of coins from the 18th & 19th centuries.

But as time went on and collectors became more knowledgeable they began to realize that originality in a coin was desirable. Until today - cleaning coins has become anathema to most collectors.

So while it is true that there still coins being cleaned by those who wish to sell them in the hope that by cleaning they will receive higher prices - the vast majority of older coins were cleaned years & years ago when it was accepted to do this.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jimmy_goodfella

jimmy_goodfella New Member

GDJMSP thanks

being kind of new to this hobby like others i can only go with what i read /see.

4. rick

rick Coin Collector

that's well put. plain and simple logic

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Sir,
    Please don't take us newer collectors wrong, but I for one like to think things out....yes I know cleaning is a bad thing. What would you do if you got a morgan silver dollar at the bank for face value BUT it had tar all over it?? Would you leave it the way it was, or clean it? I'd like to hear your opinion on a situation like that.

Thanks!

Speedy

6. rick

rick Coin Collector

let me ask you this - as a counter question - if you found an early turn of the century oil paint at a garage sale, would you take it home and restore it yourself?

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Coins and paintings are two different things and I don't know the first thing about art!...I guess I wouldn't try to do it myself--good point. ;)

I would like to hear what others have to say about this too. :D ;)
    Speedy

8. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

My husband and I are coin dealers. As a rule, we don't clean coins. At one point, we had a Morgan and a Peace dollar that were covered in tar. We dipped them and stated right in the title bar of the auction that they were cleaned. Covered with tar, you couldn't even see the details. These coins were still okay for filler dates. The problem is the dealers who won't make the cleaned state absolutely clear at the outset and then price the coin accordingly. I believe that true dealers who are in the coin business for the love of coins and the hobby would not try to sell a cleaned coin without it being clearly stated. I know there are still some honest people out there. :)

9. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

Agreed. Sometimes -- rarely, but occasionally -- a coin *should* be cleaned, though it's usually best to tell people who aren't knowledgeable about the coin market or "conservation" not to clean them at all. If you just tell someone that sometimes cleaning is advisable, they make take it upon themselves to not only make the wrong decision to clean, but also try to clean it themselves and make a bloody mess of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted