Coin Cleaning

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by susanlynn9, Jul 27, 2004.

1. guy

guy New Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: i never knew coke could be that strong

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MSDiBiase

MSDiBiase Junior Member

Capachino any one?

In the same vane with what was said about distilled water - what about steam cleaing with distilled water - at home I guess one could you use there espresso-capocchino maker - no?

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

NO !! heat can have some very undesirable affects on coins.

No matter what you can think of - it's all been tried before. And it DOES NOT WORK !

If you have a coin that you are absolutley determined to have cleaned - send it to a professional service like NCS. But even then - an experienced eye can detect that the coin was conserved.

5. guy

guy New Member

i heard that you could use ultrasound here is what someone said on http://www.predecimal.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=17&t=629&

QUOTE "A friend of mine who's a doctor is just starting to take an interest in collecting. I was giving him all the usual advice about not cleaning coins in any way when he asked "what about ultrasound?"

For my enlightenment he explained that ultrasound cleaning involves putting an object into water, pure and simple, and using ultrasound waves to agitate the water molecules to a point where the action of the water alone acts as a cleaning agent.

Apparently it works a treat for oboe reeds - but what about coins? It appears there's no other tangible agent present except the water - and who hasn't used a drop of that to remove surface dirt? Has anyone else had experience of ultrasound in this context or any advice as to how safe it may or not be?"

6. rick

rick Coin Collector

nobody has suggested tears yet... like the tears I shed when I see a coin that has been obviously cleaned.

7. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Why is it that newer collectors never listen to the ones that truly know?

8. rick

rick Coin Collector

because it goes against nearly all other avenues of trade. It's a hard lesson to learn.

Here's a question: When it comes to spots on silver coins, how do you stop, or significantly slow, the progession of the spot? Can it be done?

I am *not* asking how to reverse it... just slow it down or stop it.

9. National dealer

The only way that I know is either professional conservation, or deal with it.

10. rick

rick Coin Collector

All I've been doing now is replacing their flips every now and again, to make sure the environment is as clean as possible. I don't know if that does any good, but it makes me feel better.

11. jimmy_goodfella

jimmy_goodfella New Member

because we know that most dealers do clean some of there coins.

12. National dealer

Sounds like you need to find a better class of dealer.

13. jimmy_goodfella

i think cleaning a mint state or near mint state coin is wrong.

but i cannot possible see anything wrong with cleaning a dirty looking circulated coin, a coin that is very very dark and hard to read.

surely any cleaning is better than that, whats the point of a coin you can hardly read because of crud.and considering about half the coins out there are in this state i cant see any reason not to clean then if it enhances the overall appearance.if there wasint ever a reason to clean a coin then why do grading services and others do it professionaly.

And what is professionaly surely they just mean a simple unharmfull way to do this.Something that anyone could learn so why dont people want to say how they do it.

these guys learned i bet through trial and error,or someone that had allready learned told thiem.I think this is just what people here are wanting to know i know i am.

so how does a professional clean a coin whats he use,how does he use it.It aint hard its just protectionism.

no-one wants to tell others how easy it is to make there living

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There is only one professional company - NCS or Numismatic Conservation Service. And you're right - they won't tell anyone what their methods are. It's not that people won't tell you - it's that they don't know. But it doesn't really matter - even when they clean a coin - you can still tell the coin was cleaned.

You say you see nothing wrong with cleaning a circulated coin. That's OK - you are certainly entitled to your own opinion. So is the rest of the numismatic community - it's just that they disagree with you on this point.

But just for the sake of argument - since you are in Britain, let's say you purchase a circulated 1926 modified obverse 1d. This coin cost you approx 300 British pounds. But it's dirty - and you think it would look better if you clean it up a little. Would it surprise you to learn that should you decide to sell this coin afterwards you would be quite lucky indeed if you get 100 British pounds - perhaps only even 50 ?

Do you still think there's nothing wrong with cleaning a circulated coin ?

The bottom line is this - they are your coins. And if you wish to clean them - by all means do so. Just be aware, that if at some point in the future you should ever decide to sell these coins or should your decendents decide to sell them - they will at best only be able to receive a fraction of what they would receive if they had not been cleaned.

That's just the way it is - whether you wish to believe it or not.

And regarding this statement -
    This is simply not true. It's not even close to true. I will readily agree though - there are some dealers who do this. And then they sell the coins to inexperienced or unknowledgeable collectors. But those who do this are an unscrupulous and unethical lot. To my mind - they are out and out crooks. And if you are buying coins from dealers such as these - then you certainly need to change dealers.

15. rick

rick Coin Collector

on that note - I just went and took a 1901 canadian dime to my dealer... it was marked MS 64, and I told him I wanted to know if it would be benefitial to send off to have graded.

He looked at it, and told me he saw minor signs of cleaning, and it would, therefore, XF at best... and that was just because someone had scrubbed it up a little bit.

All the best detail was there, every hairline, no signs of handling to the naked eye...

for all that whoever wanted to dress this coin up, the only thing they accompished was damaging an otherwise beautiful item - and I feel that is a shame.

Luckily it was only lightly scrubbed or I would toss it in a junk box.

-1901 5 cent, not dime... not important to the point, though.

16. satootoko

satootoko Retired

A classic case of arguing from facts not in evidence!

I'd love to hear what evidence you have that makes you "know" that "most" dealers are unethical, dishonest liars and cheats. (BTW I am not now, and never have been, a coin dealer.)

17. jimmy_goodfella

wll i read that in the coin collectors survival manual.by scot a travers. I will quote from it.

pcgs founder david hall estimates that up to 50% of all raw coins sold at auction have been doctored(excluding old time collections).He further estimates that at last 10-20% of all coins submitted to
    grading services are doctored in some way.

to me that says either the coin fairy's com down at night and start cleaning coin collections or dealers are doing it.

i oubt the guy that wrote this very popular book could have printd such a statement from david hall if he didint say it either.

this is where im basing my statement on

18. jimmy_goodfella

on page 95 under doctoring and grading,if anyone with the book cares to look.

19. National dealer

Even if the claims are true that 50% or better are cleaned why do you choose to blame the dealers? I don't understand your recent dealer bashing here on the forum.
    You have been spreading all sorts of tips on cleaning, yet you blame the dealers for doing this.
    GDJMSP and Satootoko are quite correct as usual. MOST dealers have no desire to clean coins. Maybe the mom and pop dealers that have a few coins laying around. CLEANED coins only hurt the hobby. No reputable dealer is out to take advantage of anyone. The simple fact is that an educated consumer is the best consumer. That certainly includes the customer who can grade. Because it is this consumer that isn't wasting our time arguing over whether a coin should or should not be cleaned.
    Fact 1. Cleaned coins lose value
    Fact 2. Dealers don't like to lose money
    For the book that you are quoting, can you find the passage that blames the dealers for cleaning coins?
    Scott Travers is a very large dealer in this country and his books are great referrence tools. If you take the time to read what his views are on cleaning, you will find that they are the same as the ones listed here by the people here who know what is happening in the coin community. You may not these facts, or even care to believe them, but that won't change them from being facts.

20. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

David Hall may be right. I've seen WAY too many coins that depress me because they have been cleaned. While it can happen to any coin, for some reason, in my experience Seated Dollars seem to be the worst. It's damn near impossible to find an original, authentic XF/AU Seated Dollar.

Of the universe of cleaned coins, MAYBE 2% of them should have been cleaned. And most of *those* were probably not cleaned as carefully and professionally as they should have been. The overwhelming majority -- think 99% -- of coins that have been cleaned LOST VALUE AND DESIRABILITY because of it. The remaining 1% either resulted from professional opinion and/or VERY dumb luck.

21. jimmy_goodfella

ND i dont mean to blame dealers its just there the ones that these coins are passing through.I just made a ecomment that liot of people knocked me down for so i posted where i got my information from

Draft saved Draft deleted