coin cleaning confusion

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by micro, Aug 14, 2012.

1. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

NEVER use vinegar on coins! Just take your coins to the sink and rinse them with hot, running water.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gubni

gubni Active Member

Why not? I'm sure there's a good reason, but I learn better if I know why.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Even though vinegar is usually about 5% acetic acid ( a weak acid in the chemical sense) , it is active enough to react with the coin metal. The effects are more damaging for copper than for silver ( since the silver doesn't show the obvious damaged color of acid treated copper. Many use Silver dip ( such as EZest) has strong acids in it to strip silver coins to produce the "Blast white" effect, while copper often produces the pumpkin orange effect which is undesirable.

This includes, catsup, hot sauce, taco sauce, most of JACK'S sauce, etc. which contains vinegar.

5. s1lverbird59

s1lverbird59 New Member

I use hot water with a drop or two dish washing liquid Dawn..soak and use running water to rinse of with a little gentle rubbing and you are right it will remove a lots of grime...Do this with pennies silver is softer and care has to be use just pat dry...

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yep, and if the water in your area is as hard as the water is in my area, you want to rinse with some distilled or deionized water.

Draft saved Draft deleted