Coin Books,

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by BenSi, Apr 22, 2020.

1. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Fotor_158760540077855.jpg I spent my time tonight sorting my Ancient coin books. I have amassed a bit of a collection. No dealer catalogs , but mixed subjects, some history , some Greek, Roman , medieval and a lot of byzantine.
    Share your library.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    sand, Ryro, rrdenarius and 38 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Nice selection. Unfortunately, mine is split in half, with many books stuck at work for now.

BenSi likes this.
  4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Most of my numismatic books are on the right shelf, with a few assorted on the left. I keep RIC over my computer in arms reach.

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

sand, Ryro, rrdenarius and 31 others like this.
  5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm very impressed! The substantial majority of my numismatic books still concern Great Britain: I sold most of my British coins and medals, but couldn't bring myself to get rid of the books as well!

6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Like @Nicholas Molinari, my library is split between home and work at the moment. I thought having some of my coin books at work would be useful for some of the kids’ research projects, but whenI see photos like this I regret not having them all together with me...

but I also just need to clean up my office - it is a disaster

TheRed, dadams, Broucheion and 2 others like this.
  7. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Fantastic collection.....

8. Victor_Clark

Thanks, it has taken me many years to track down and assemble these books. I still have alerts out for some issues that I have been searching for years to find. It never ends, because everytime I get a new book, I have to farm its bibliography. I actually collect books more than coins these days, but I love it and it keeps me busy.

some I am casually looking for

Voetter, O. 1899 Die Kupferprägungen der Diocletianischen Tetrarchie.

NZ XXXI: 1-34 223- 310

Zschucke GFP Zschucke, C.-F., Die Grossfollisprägung in Trier während der 1. Tetrarchie von 294-305 n. C., Petermännchen-Verlag, Trier 2000.

G. Elmer, Die Münzprägung der gallischen Kaiser in Köln, Trier und Mailand, Reprint Liège 1974.

Mazzini, I.G. Monete Imperiali Romane. 5 Vols. (Milan, 1957-1958). Volume quinto

Sutherland Carausius II’, ‘Censeris’, and the Barbarous Fel. Temp. Reparatio Overstrikes NC 1945

E. T. Hall & D. M. Metcalf: Methods of Chemical and Metallurgical Investigation of Ancient Coinage. A Symposium held by the Royal Numismatic Society at Burlington House, London, December 9-11, 1972, 1972, 446 pages, 20 plates, red cloth, dust jacket. As New. Royal Numismatic Society Special Publication 8.

Bastien

Le monnayage de l'atelier de Lyon. De la réouverture de l'atelier par Aurélien à la mort de Carin (fin 274-mi 285)

Karl Pink:

Der Aufbau der römischen Münzprägung in der Kaiserzeit. VI/1. Probus; in: NZ 73 (1949), 13ff.

Der Aufbau der römischen Münzprägung in der Kaiserzeit. VI/2. Carus und Söhne; in: NZ 80 (1963), 5ff

coin hoards from roman britain volume 1

9. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

I will pm you. This one is easy if you have the date wrong.

10. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

BenSi, You've got an interesting selection of books in your library :D. It looks like you're heavy with Byzantine literature. I've got many of the same titles but my library is too large & disorganized to photograph. I've got hundreds of catalogs, mostly ancient coins & oriental art. When I was in the coin business I was being deluged with catalogs from all the major auction houses, & I didn't have to pay for any of them :p. Before I moved to Churchville, NY I gave away hundreds of catalogs, mostly U.S. coins & art medals. One of your books caught my eye, The SECRET ROOTS of CHRISTIANITY, Decoding Religious History with Symbols on Ancient Coins, by David Wray. I bought a copy of this book a couple of years ago & found it to be incredibly well researched & a great read. What did you think of this book, especially the conclusion o_O? His conclusion was very controversial & many hard-core Christians were offended by it. I think it's a hard book for Christians to view objectively. I'm not a Christian but enjoy the history & art of Christianity.

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

My book shelf for anceints, medival, and non-US

IMG_20200330_062926.jpg

sand, Ryro, Alegandron and 14 others like this.
  12. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

I used to have a couple of books on Iberian coins . I have looked forever trying to find the one I had and can not. I know one of the Authors was Jesus Vico and possibly another was Carlos Cayon I think.
    Does any one have any leads as to where I can find a few good books on Iberian coinage ?

13. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

As much as I use the internet to research my ancient and medieval coins, I still very much enjoy looking things up in books like these.

Alegandron, dadams, octavius and 2 others like this.
  14. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

Hi Al, I believe I bought this book on your recommendation. I don't remember being shocked by anything but I remember reading the conclusion before the rest of the book. I will put it back on the list to read again. I do recommend Dark Ages an Age of Light, a video series of youtube. it is an excellent watch and a tie in from paganism to Christianity, it explains why the image of Christ evolved in a Zeus like figure.

15. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

You probably meant the one one the right - Alvarez-Burgos? I have that and the rather old Heiss (and a couple of books on Emporion coins). Alvarez-Burgos is pretty useful. There's another reference, possibly by Cayon, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Edit - Villaronga, he's the author of a major reference on Iberian coins that I couldn't remember.

For what it's worth, I got the Alvarez-Burgos in 2010 from http://www.numismaticavcraven.com/catalogo/cat-catalogos-generales-3544.html

[​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Ryro, robinjojo, TheRed and 6 others like this.
  16. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

I'm impressed by how orderly and neat everyone's shelves are! Mine are a shambles in comparison. I actually buy very few personal books; I'm spoiled by being the book selector for the Univ. of Cincinnati Classics Library, one of the world's richest collections of books on Greece, Rome, Byzantium, and modern Greece. So everything I could possibly want is at my office. Which is good, because we are running out of home space...
    DSCF6950.JPG
    DSCF6952.JPG DSCF6954.JPG

sand, Theodosius, Ryro and 19 others like this.
  17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

As Albert Einstein put it: “If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what then is an empty desk?

Orfew, Ryro, Pishpash and 10 others like this.
  18. Victor_Clark

I just ordered this book...will it be worth it...only time will tell.

Jean-Marc Doyen

Licinius et Constantin

Vingt-trois études de numismatique et d'histoire (1978-2019)

Bruxelles 2019. 181 Seiten mit Textabbildungen und 20 Tafeln

Broschiert. Verlagsneu

3673_doyen_licinius....jpg

and this one

FireShot Pro Screen Capture #146 - '' - file.jpg

Alegandron, TheRed, dadams and 3 others like this.
  19. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

You may have already seen the table of contents for Doyen's book, but if not, here it is. I apologies for the formatting errors, but it will give you a view of what's within.
    Frères ennemis liés par un destin commun qui leur fut imposé par une Tétrarchie0en pleine déliquescence, Flavius Valerius Aurelius Constantinus, césar d?abord0(306-307) puis auguste (307-337) et Flavius Galerius Valerius Licinianus Licinius0(308-324) furent contraints de s?entendre et de collaborer afin de gérer un Empire0en mutation.0Après une décennie d?incessantes disputes, leurs armées s?affrontèrent finalement0en 324 ; les batailles d?Andrinople (3 juillet) et de Chrysopolis (18 septembre)0furent fatales à Licinius, laissant Constantin seul maître de l?Empire.0Mais de 308 à 324, les deux augustes se querellèrent régulièrement en tentant0de placer en ordre utile de succession leurs enfants respectifs : Licinius junior0d?une part, et d?autre part les nombreux fils et neveux de Constantin ? Crispus,0Constantin II, Constance II, Constant, Dalmatius et Hannibalianus, éliminés les0uns après les autres. La logique veut que ce soit le plus cruel des descendants de0Constantin, Constance II, qui ait survécu.0Les années 307-324 sont captivantes à plus d?un titre. À la monotonie du0monnayage des différentes Tétrarchies succède un renouveau iconographique.0D?anciens thèmes sont remis au goût du jour alors que des revers nouveaux0font leur apparition. À l?uniformité soigneusement élaborée pour des raisons0politiques des portraits tétrarchiques, se substitue la dernière grande efflorescence0de l?iconographie impériale romaine, avec en tête la production de l?atelier de0Lyon.

Victor_Clark likes this.
  20. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Compared to the magificent libraries shown above, my collection of books about ancient coins (like my collection of ancient coins itself!) is tiny. As shown in these two photos, perhaps only 30 or so books in total. I probably still have three times as many books about British and world coins and medals (including some antiquarian books), even though I don't actively collect in that area anymore -- not even counting at least a couple of decades worth of the old annual Spink (formerly Seaby) catalogues of British coins, which are packed away. I haven't been able to bring myself to throw them out yet. I did finally throw out most of my old coin & medal auction catalogues that I accumulated from getting them in the mail over the last 30 years, saving only a few, including the ones from which I actually bought one or more lots, and the ones that I thought had good color photos of ancient coins.

The three-ring binders contain receipts, invoices, printed-out coin photos (mostly from the sellers), etc.

Please ignore the cat books -- I had to put them somewhere! (I am not a cat lady, by the way. I have only one!)

Coin bookshelves 2.jpg

Coin bookshelves 4.jpg

I consider my art/archaeology/antiquities books to be in a somewhat related category, so here are a couple of bookcases of those. (One of them also has some of the cases of antiquities I've previously posted about in this forum.)

DML Living Room, art & archaeology bookcase center, with. antiquities.jpg

DML Living Room, art & archaeology bookcase right.jpg

sand, Theodosius, Ryro and 13 others like this.
  21. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

So far everyone has me beat I do not own even one book.

Restitutor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted