Coin archives?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aleph, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Aleph

Aleph Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    For those who have access to CoinArchives, what is included that is not in acsearch?
    Thanks

oops...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

corn.jpg

:)

5. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

There is a free part on this site. You can access the last 100 items that you're searching for (or the last 6 months of auctions). And you'll find
    the future auctions to come with your researched coins.

6. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@Aleph Thanks for bringing this up. I have the same question. Many auction houses cite Coin Archives in their listing research, but CA's subscription prices are significantly greater than ACSearch, which I use extensively. ACSearch is quite good but they do not include a few prominent auction houses in their database and although one of the ACSearch subscription "perks" includes listings before 2000, the pre-2000 listings are a few classic early 20th century auctions and this doesn't appear to be expanding over the years (for me, auctions from the 80's and 90's would be more useful). Will Coin Archives searches return more hits? Does their database extend before the year 2000? In short, what would I be paying for to subscribe to CA?

7. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

But the archives seem not to go back long enough for any of my money. What is 15 years or so? I certainly would EXPECT from 1978 as normal and for every possible sale with photographs. Or just access to catalogues which I will navigate myself. I would not be doing it for the provenance, which will come automatically but for type research. Where exactly did the 2 Palms come from? Was it part of a hoard which contained these contemporaneos coins for sale too? That is useful research not that it was part of Baron Finkelstein's collection temp The French Revolution.

8. Aleph

Aleph Well-Known Member

Well said! Auction coverage from the 50s to the 90s might make it worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted