Coin #4 of 2019: Sestertius of Maximinus Thrax

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

This was also a CNG win that arrived this week. It is a Bronze Sestertius of Maximinus Thrax issued in AD 235-6.

[​IMG]

Maximinus I. AD 235-238. Æ Sestertius (32mm, 22.41 g, 6h). Rome mint. 2nd emission, AD 236. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Pax standing left, holding olive branch and scepter. RIC IV 58; BMCRE 72-4; Banti 11a. Good VF, dark green surfaces with traces of red.

Ex Classical Numismatic Group Electronic Auction 341 (17 December 2014), lot 371.

Please post you Maximinus Thrax coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Amazing Sest! You could cut diamonds with that Jay Lenoesque chin! Wish I had something that striking in Roman imperial bronze.
    Here's a Denarius of mine:
    CollageMaker Plus_20184615132120.png

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow, great portrait and a very nice reverse.

5. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Maximinus I. 235-238 AD. Æ Sestertius Struck 236 AD. Obv: IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. Rev: P M TR P II COS P P, S- C across fields, Emperor standing facing, holding scepter; three standards around. RIC IV 33; BMCRE 80; Cohen 58.
    MaximinusEmperor3StdsSest.jpg

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

yup, that is a dandy :)... Maximinus l THRAX 003.JPG Maximinus l THRAX 004.JPG

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That is a lovely coin! SCORE!!

Here's a Max Thrax sestertius from my collection:

Maximinus Salus Sestertius.jpg
    Maximinus Salus Sestertius Sulzer listing.JPG

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Very nice. Yours talks about peace while mine celebrates war

[​IMG]

Maximinus I. AD 235-238. Æ Sestertius (29.5mm, 19.27 g, 11h). Rome mint. 3rd emission, late AD 236-237. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / VICTO RIA GERMANICA, Victory standing left, holding wreath and palm frond; to left, bound captive seated left, head right. RIC IV 90; BMCRE 194-5; Banti 31. VF, green and dark brown surfaces, traces of red, a little smoothing.

10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Terrific portrait, congrats.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  11. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Aethelred, Nice score with a superb & accurate portrait ;). He doesn't look like the kind of guy you would mess with :nailbiting:....
    [​IMG]

12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here's my denarius, FIDES MILITVM, which was true up until the siege of Aquilaea when his troops became impatient with the siege and its lack of success so they killed him and his son Maximus.

maxthrax1.jpg

maxthrax2.jpg

ominus1, zumbly, Johndakerftw and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted