COA or PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CHARLES GINETTO, Feb 20, 2021.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It's referring to the 4 that eBay has approved. Some big well known auction houses stop at 3 with ANACS being the third and treat coins from others very differently. Though If you do go four there isn't anyone else the 4th could be at this time besides ICG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

Not sure for the logic there considering the ones doing the ancient grading are the ones that the well known dealers would ask questions of. I get them taking it out of the slab but the names doing it are as big as any of the dealers would be

4. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

COA...No way!!! slabbed coins is the way to go. PCGS and NGC are the top 2 with ICG and ANACS bringing up the rear. all 4 are credible. good luck man

5. CHARLES GINETTO

CHARLES GINETTO Active Member

I have a number of coins that I've purchased from the US Mint, the Royal Canadian Mint, The Royal Mint, la Zecca di Roma and Paramount International Coin Corp., headed by David Akers. All of the COAs were honored because they were genuine.

6. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

IMG_3979e.JPG
    I have been buying raw and slabbed coins for decades when the whim hit me and I was lucky enough to have a few bucks in my pocket, but I decided to get an SLQ set slabbed after I picked up a 1923-S (details) in an ICG slab and my 1921 came in an ANACS slab. I looked into sending to PCGS, NGC, ICG and ANACS. After looking at my own coins, reading all the online criticism and pondering it, I sent 18 coins - mostly SLQs into ICG. The process was easy, it was affordable for me, and I trust the results.

As I've now started a second SLQ slabbed collection (was doing a low grade set, now trying to start a higher level set too) I've got a bunch of slabbed SLQs, I've bought PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG - I'm looking for nice coins, you find more nice coins that are cheaper in ICG and ANACS slabs in my experience because PCGS / NGC folks can be really snobby about even touching those. That works great for me! I just made my second submission to ICG, including a 1921, 1919S and 1919D, which are key dates and some raw common dates that were sold as MS. If I was going to worry about reselling I might send some to PCGS - heck I might have some of the higher end ones submitted to PCGS anyway eventually - like the 1916 FR02 Damaged, 1921, 1919S & D and the 1923-S. We'll see. I'm very happy with ICG and will continue to use them as my primary going forward. Here's some of my SLQs.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  7. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I've seen more ICG slabs in various auctions lately and the bids are getting close to those in PCGS and NGC slabs. It seems to me that the US coin market is hot right now and buyers are looking past the grading service. I wonder how many of the ICG coins are being cracked out and sent to one of the big two?

MIGuy likes this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Back when I worked in a shop if we broke up a set we put the holders, boxes COA's etc into storage. If someone came in wanting us to get a set, we would get the coins, pull the box, holder and COA out of storage and make them a set with the COA. And in the early years of the Mints COA's they didn't put on them what set they were certifying, so you could use a COA from any set for any other set.

9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  10. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: at lest the shipping is free

John Burgess likes this.
  11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

This is what happens to many good NGC coins. They get cracked out and sent to PCGS. The NGC mistakes stay in NGC holders which makes the quality if their product appear to be less than it is. The same will happen to ICG graded coins. This is why it’s so hard for a third or fourth grading service to crack into the top tier market.

wxcoin likes this.
  12. CHARLES GINETTO

13. CHARLES GINETTO

Attached Files:

MIGuy and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  14. baseball21

So then why ask the question? You've heard the million reasons why COAs mean nothing unless they're graded as well and matched to the the coin but no matter what you just keep saying you disagree. Questions have multiple answers, if you just wanted to have people talk about how much they love COAs then you should have never asked the question

wxcoin and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  15. CHARLES GINETTO

I have used both. I just wanted opinions.

wxcoin and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  16. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

David Sear is who comes to mind. I would rather have a COA from him than a slab.

18. baseball21

Point was aside from the method of storage, I don't think many would argue about Barry Murphys knowledge as an example. If he was just a dealer still he would absolutely would fit what you would rather have, so with the NGC ancient you are still getting that it's just coming in a slab instead of a flip.

19. CHARLES GINETTO

You're wrong. The coin came from the Royal Mint and is an ounce of platinum.

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You aren't getting the point. I could have a fake and have the correct COA and sell it to someone that thinks the COA will verify it's authenticity. The coin is still fake, The COA is easy to copy and print.
    It does not verify the coin is real.

NSP, Morgandude11 and Oldhoopster like this.
  21. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Why can't you just put the original COA with a fake coin? There is nothing on there to verify that the specific coin matches the COA.

Unless the COA can be linked to a specific coin, it's worthless as proof of authenticity IMO

NSP, MIGuy and Pickin and Grinin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted