COA or PCGS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CHARLES GINETTO, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Two things come to mind: Don't some TPGs grade/certify certain coins without slabbing in their holders...coins are left in original holders...? GSA dollars come to mind...you get the grade, et al, plus you also keep in orig holder and have/keep the COA. In any case, if a more legitimate COA as from the mint(s), one couldn't do those very simply on a computer and think most people would recognize one home-made. I don't know how far this goes...if to any mint-issued coins in OGP holders or not, what others beside GSA $ can be graded/certified in OGP holders, etc. The other thing...and just me/my preference...and this does go to value, at least initially until one can see where the coin is going to settle in the value/rarity market...I don't remove/separate any coin from it's official mint/OGP holder and COA (not talking coins in after-market or non-official holders of various kinds). That said, I have many that have already been removed by someone/sometime, esp ASE and some proofs/sets, as I'm sure is common. As always, to each their own.

Bob Evancho likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

A COA doesn't guarantee that it pertains to the coin in question. One could get an expert to certify a particular coin but unless the COA is permanently affixed to the coin one can't be sure if the proverbial "switcheroo" wasn't done with another coin. At least a TPG coin is sealed in a holder which makes it virtually impossible to switch out with another coin without damaging the holder.

MIGuy, NSP, ldhair and 2 others like this.
  4. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Off the subject a bit...but authentic...about your inclusion of ICG as one of the "big 4" TPGs: Is this a recent generally accepted opinion by many/most, if you know...? And/or based on your experience from actually using them...? I've found what limited ICG coins I've seen (and have a few) to be pretty well/accurately graded, but at least one of the other big 3 (or 4) TPG literally laughs at ICG and seriously devalues their grades/grading (to me, via phone conversation). I though this to be very unprofessional. Just wondering, as have considered submitting one or two for crossover grades...in one coin's case making a difference of literally about ten-thousand $ if I can get the same grade...a fortune to me.

5. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

A COA from a reputable ancient coin dealer carries a lot of weight to my understanding. This is helped by the fact that every ancient coin has a unique appearance, making it easy to match photos. Other than that, I agree that COA’s are next to worthless.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

A COA is important when dealing with mint sets such as The Premier or Prestige series. People want the COA with the original government packing.
    One reason you see empty OGP and COA’s with out coins is because the coins are looked over. If it looks the coin has a chance of grading MS70 the coin(s) are sent to a TPG.
    It may only be one or two coins from the set that have a shot at MS70. The rest will be saved and eventually enough coins will be combined to put a complete set together with a COA and OGP.
    When you see an ASE in a flip, an airtight or in tubes it (they) probably came from a monster box that was picked over and didn’t have a chance at MS 70. You can purchase single coin velvet boxes with the cardboard sleeve directly from the US Mint to satisfy those who look for OGP. It will not be the same OGP but it does have the US Mint eagle on it and looks go enough to the unsuspecting or uncaring.
    In the case of mint and proof sets sealed in plastic envelopes the left overs are assembled into Capital holders and sold at full mint set prices to the unsuspecting.
    This repackaging may result in a set of dog coins. Buyer beware.
    If the COA accompanies a coin from the Danbury or Franklin mints well I guess that’s all you’re going to get. I don’t think the TGP’s will grade much if anything from them.

CHARLES GINETTO likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks @wxcoin

wxcoin likes this.
  8. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

ANYONE??
    Make me one in a SONICALLY SEALED slab, such as the ones used by PCGS or NGC.I know there are counterfeit slabs out there but, it USUALLY requires more equipment than MOST people have.
    Stay Safe
    Semper Fi

John Skelton, wxcoin and Kentucky like this.
  9. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

If you plan on selling the coin later, it will sell MUCH faster than one graded by ICG. I have not had much luck with their coins, I have sent 2 Morgans and a Peace $ to both NGC and the Peace to PCGS all three came back with lower grades, one Morgan 2 grades less.
    I do not purchase ICG unless I plan on breaking them out to put in albums.
    JMO
    Stay safe

10. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

COA means very little when it comes to coins. It's more important when dealing with art work or sports memorabilia. Even then it can be questioned. Certified coins are considered authentic even though mistakes happen. I don't know why the mint even bothers with putting a COA in a box with a coin.

Bob Evancho likes this.
  11. CHARLES GINETTO

CHARLES GINETTO Active Member

It's tp tell that it is certified authentic coin.

12. 1865King

It took me a little while to figure out what tp is. I think you meant the word "to". Again the COA means nothing because it can easily be counterfeited and it can be put with a counterfeit coin. I think it's something the mint started doing in the 1950's but, in todays world it holds holds little weight. It is a marketing ploy. If you go onto Facebook there are all kinds of coin scams going on. I believe the counterfeit coins are coming from China. And the Chinese government doesn't care that people are making counterfeit US coins. You can buy counterfeit silver eagles in mint boxes with a COA card. So the COA and mint packaging is no guarantee the coin is a real mint product. Only buy from people you trust.

manny9655 likes this.
  13. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

Actually they can't, as long as you know how to identify authentic slabs and labels. Especially when it comes to the well known TPGs. There are multiple tamper and security features built into them. And the companies will verify them for you as well as a part of their guarantees of their own slabs.
    So far only some very well done Chinese counterfeit slabs have come close, they could fool an uninformed buyer but not the grading companies or those of us who know what to look for.

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I thought he meant toilet paper...

15. Kentucky

ABSOLUTELY! A COA from a well-known dealer for an ancient coin carries LOADS more weight than a slab that the collector will probably break out anyway.

16. CHARLES GINETTO

CHARLES GINETTO Active Member

COA tells you that a coin it is certified authentic coin.

17. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

COA stands for computer overrated authenticity

baseball21 and Kentucky like this.
  18. Kentucky

Certified by who? Want me to make one out for you?

Oldhoopster likes this.
  19. 1865King

If you ever watched Pawn Stars there have been many times someone has come in with a COA for something they have only to have the guys question it. Then they bring an expert in and tells them it's either good or worthless. More times then not they say the COA is either made up by someone or fake or the item the COA relates to isn't the item they brought in. Sometimes they prove it's real but, my point is that those guys never assume a COA is real. Before anyone says it's only a TV show your right and I now everything is preplanned but, the items and people aren't. On TV you don't want to have someone on camera flip out and go nuts when their told there item is junk. I've been present in a local coin shop when it happens. PCGS, NGC & ANACS certification is better than a piece of paper. Even it a COA has a picture of the coin on it that can be forged. The only good way to have a COA mean anything is to also have a chain of custody with it.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  20. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

No, it says the certificate is authentic, at that moment. It may or may not correlate with the coin for sale. It could have been printed 15 minutes ago.

harrync likes this.
  21. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I have never seen a fake slab that was not obvious to me,as an experienced collector.

Kurisu likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted