CNG NEWP - early French

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by JeffM-Houston, May 18, 2016.

1. JeffM-Houston

JeffM-Houston Active Member

I want to say I like the improvements at CNG, immediately after the sale ended I got an email with links to the two lots I won, alas I was badly outbid on four others. I've posted the Ancient Lesbos in the Ancients forum, this is the only World lot I was able to get. I don't really collect early France, but I loved the image of the knight on such an early provincial piece.

[​IMG]

FRANCE, Provincial. Crevecœur (seigneurie). Jean I de Namur. 1313-1325. AR Baudekin (23mm, 2.01 g, 8h). Crèvercœur mint. Knight, holding standard with banner, left on caparisoned horse / Cross pattée. Boudeau 2075; Poey d'Avant 6924; Roberts 8414. EF, attractive iridescent toning. Rare.

stevex6, brg5658, Aidan_() and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

That is a beautiful coin!

4. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow that's a beautiful coin, congrats.

6. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Thats' awesome, JeffM => I've already commented favorably on your sweet ancient score, but this French baby is also outstanding!! (congrats!!)

Oh, and again, I happen to have a fairly similar coin-type ... wanna see it?

LORRAINE, Theobald II, Double denier, AR Gros
    1303-1312 A.D.
    Diameter: 16 mm
    Weight: 0.87 grams
    Obverse: + T - DV-X. LOTOR – EGIE. The Duke of Lorraine (in armour), riding caped steed to the right, carrying spear in right hand and shield in left
    Reverse: MONETA D - E NANCEI. Downward sword, cutting the legend at the top and bottom, between two Avalerions/Alerions
    Reference: S.16 (3/16) Bd.1456 (6 f.) FlonII, n° 1-3, p. 391

Lorraine Duche de Lorraine Thiebaut II.jpg

aronsamma and JeffM-Houston like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted