CNG Group Lot Results & Giveaway (YOU Could Win One of the Coins)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I received my package in the mail today from CNG.

[​IMG]

I was met by a profusion of bubble wrap and an invoice.

[​IMG]

Of the 11 coins, 9 were in Manila 2x2s, inside the 2x2s were the coins and cards from the collections that the coins were once part of. There were coins from Tom Cederlind, William B. Porter, J. Eric Engstrom and Dennis Martin. Tom Cederlind was a well known dealer and William B. Porter was a collector who once worked for CNG. I do not know who the other two were yet, but intend to do some research. Three of the coins had also been auctioned by CNG in the past.

Here are the coins:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My photos are not the best, but I am very pleased with my results. Give me you honest impression of how I did. I plan to add the first 9 coins in the photos above to my collection which means I have $52.78 in each if you divide my total cost by those 9 coins.

What about the other two coins you ask? Well, I am glad you asked that question!

I am going to give them away!

HERE IS HOW TO ENTER:
    Post something interesting, some info about the coins or best of all something about the collectors/collections that they used to belong to (mentioned above). If you post something basic like "nice coins" or "please enter me" that is NOT good enough, it MUST to be interesting or useful to count as an entry.

In addition you MUST ALSO post the words "PLEASE ENTER ME" so I know you want one of the coins. I will select two winners each of whom will get one of the coins (and if you you post is interesting enough I might even throw in something extra). Each winner will get one of the above coins.

GOOD LUCK!

Edited to add:
    I want to further clarify that the prize coins are the two small ones on the right of the bottom row plus the possibility of something else that have laying around if I really like your post. I am not giving away any of the first 9 coins shown in the pictures. I am sorry for any confusion.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Darn, man. You just committed theft. Those coins are worth more than you paid for them. Way to go!

PLEASE ENTER ME!

Diana Lucifera, which is the reverse of one of your coins, was the Roman copy of the Greek goddess Selene, who was a daughter of Titans (deities older than the main Greek Gods), and one of three primary deities associated with the phases of the moon. Just as Apollo drove the sun chariot, so did Selene drive the moon chariot across the sky. Although as a Roman deity she is more frequently depicted with a light staff instead of a chariot.

Here is one of mine:

Gordian III denarius Diana Lucifera_clipped_rev_1.jpeg

I also see you have Victory reverses. People don't realize this, but the Romans did not copy from Nike, the Greek Goddess of Victory, when coming up with their godess Victory. They actually copied an old Sabine Godess, Vacuna, who was associated with recreation. Leave it to the Romans to turn a goddess of fun and recreation into a goddess of crushing your enemy.

Here is one of my Roman Victory reverses.

Victoriatus (1).jpeg

4. Aethelred

I'm pretty happy Sal.

Sallent likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Please Enter Me!

Love the obverse of the Lucilla sestertius. She was the first empress that got me to build a "set" in the ancient coin world. It's still a bit on going with needing a "Vota Outside Wreath" reverse denarius.

I decided to focus on her first since she is one of my favorite portrait wise of the empresses and I often wonder how much the empire may have changed should she have been successful at offing Commodus.

[​IMG]

I've also been, very slowly, building the set in Sestertius form. My only 2.

[​IMG]

This was $7!!
    [​IMG]

6. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Wow, Aethelred!! This is incredibly generous of you! Please enter me, fine sir. :)

You rocked on the lot!

I see that you have Claudius in the mix.

I was just reading up on him. I don't know too much about the Roman emperors. But, I found out that he had quite a few physical disabilities, some say he had cerebral palsy.

Apparently, his family would ridicule him because of his ailments. His own mother was said to have called him “a monstrosity of a human being, one that nature began and never finished."

Wow! I feel bad for the guy having to deal with that. I'm honestly sitting here feeling heartbroken that his family, especially his mother, would treat him that way.

On the other hand, he rose above the limits of his physical body to become emperor. I can't imagine how difficult it would have been for him back then. It shouldn't be surprising that he became emperor because anyone is capable of doing what they put their mind too. But, it's still something that be kept in mind when we find it difficult to reach our goals because of the circumstances surrounding us.

There ended up being several Christian persecutions under his reign. The apostle James ended up being killed in one of them.

Am I close? Lol. I sucked at history.

Erin

Edit: I know what it's like to be bullied and ridiculed because of my mental issues. I guess that's why I can kind of connect with Claudius a bit after reading that.

7. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Aethelred,
    You most certainly did quite well with your win. My big question is how did you get your package so quickly? I live on the left coast and am still waiting for an e-mail that my two wins are even in the mail.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  8. Aethelred

Karen must like me?;)

9. Aethelred

@Johndakerftw Claudius also wrote a history of Rome that I desperately wish had survived. How cool to be able to read what an emperor (or future emperor since I believe he wrote it before AD 41) thought of his country's history!

10. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

That's way cool! Too bad it didn't survive. I bet it would have had some fascinating insights!

Erin

11. Sallent

Claudius is my favorite 1st Century Emperor. If I win, I'd love to have the Claudius as an upgrade to mine, which means the old one one would have to go on a forum-wide giveaway contest.

If not that, Marcus Aurelius would be next in line as I don't have a Marcus Aurelius, followed by the Antoninus Pius.

@Aethelred As for Claudius, I would also have loved to read his histories, had they survived. The guy might not have been the most flashy member of he imperial family, or a warrior, or a great strategist, but he sure was quite the survivor.

Smojo likes this.
  12. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Its just the last two coins in the last row Aethelred is giving away. The other 9 he is keeping.

gregarious likes this.
  13. Sallent

I'm still in! if I do win, can I designate someone to receive the coin on my behalf?

I might keep it, but I may also want to pass it on to a newer member. Do i have that option?

14. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I'm not entering the contest, but wanted to say nice score! That sure is a handsome coin lot.

Question: Are the manila envelopes from Tom Cederlind?

Aethelred likes this.
  15. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

You are correct he did write it before he became Emperor.
    It's somewhere between pages 50 & 100 in SPQR by Mary Beard. I'm only 126 pages into it but I remeber that part.

Is that good enough for an
    PLEASE ENTER ME

If it isn't I'll have to try harder tomarrow. I'm an early riser so it means I can do a little more reading before retireing the day.

Aethelred likes this.
  16. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Very nice coins. Please do not consider this an entry.

Here is a short bio of J Eric Engstrom

https://www.kshs.org/p/j-eric-engstrom/19775

He has also written a couple of books including "Coins in Shakespeare: A numismatic guide"

I also have a coin from his collection

vesp ric 685.jpg

17. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Nice haul !!

Here is your Commodus : https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=319394
    [​IMG]
    I suppose someone didn't pay and that is how it wound up in your lot? Sure seems to have been good enough for them to auction it as a stand alone.

Edited to say : "please enter me"

18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice! I think you did pretty well with the lot overall. If I had to guess which three had previously been sold as single lots, I'd say the Claudius, Aurelius and Lucilla... those three (amongst others) are definitely worth more than the average cost. I like the Postumus too, though it's a double sestertius rather than the sestertius mentioned in the auction description. Congrats!

Aethelred likes this.
  19. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

20. Aethelred

Absolutely

21. Aethelred

Draft saved Draft deleted