CNG changes hands

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David@PCC, Aug 18, 2018.

1. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

For those who don't subscribe to their emails.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Congratulations to CNG and to Mike! I can't imagine a better successor. It's wonderful to know that it will continue to be managed by passionate and talented numismatic hands, and that Victor and Eric will stay on board. With this and the recent hiring of David Michaels, CNG has firmly set itself to continue to be a top-tier auction house and dealer.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

For those not familiar with the name, do a search on 'gasvoda' on the CNG site and see items from his collection currently on offer. Many are coins I would love to have but should go over estimate and way over me. He has shown taste in the past and, I trust, will continue to in the future without changing what has made me a very low end customer for 30 years.
    My first coin from Victor England in 1988:
    g71670bb0091.jpg

5. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

I dropped a consignment with CNG in Philly, and it was business as usual. You'd never know anything significant had occurred. David Michaels was a pleasure to deal with. Other than David, it was the usual faces behind the CNG tables. I suspect this will be an invisible change to most of us. I've been a CNG customer for over 20 years and I hope this change enables the company to be around for another generation of collectors.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Carthago, Orfew, ominus1 and 4 others like this.
  6. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I suspect this will mean more of the same, which in the case of CNG is a good thing indeed.

David@PCC, Carausius, ominus1 and 2 others like this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Like others, I don't foresee any noticeable difference from the bidder end. As long as his "new ideas for the future" don't involve jumping on the slabbing bandwagon, I'm excited that he's the new owner!

Smojo, David@PCC, Petavius and 5 others like this.
  8. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

He has some big shoes to fill. Good luck to him—I certainly hope he does a good job!

David@PCC, TIF, Orfew and 1 other person like this.
  9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Sounds like a good outcome for all. Numismatics is somewhat of a niche business and it can be tough to downsize or sell a small business when it is time for that. I helped my Dad sell his somewhat specialized business in June and it was about a 1.5 year process until we came up with three qualified buyers and held an auction with the help of investment bankers which fortunately was a good outcome for the family.

10. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

11. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

It will be interesting to see what changes will be made. Hopefully they preserve the research section.

red_spork likes this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

As we age, many of us experience unpleasant changes that affect us in various ways. I'm not talking about when my hair turned gray but when my long time favorite dentist retired and when I qualified for Medicare so my favorite doctor could no longer see me as a patient. We collectors who have been around for a few years face the same problem with coin dealers. My favorite ones are getting a bit long in the tooth. A few have passed away. A few years ago I wrote a note 'just in case' suggesting who my wife might call to help with the disposal of my coins. The elder names on that list are no longer active in the business. Now, I have no intention of CNG developing an interest in coins like I have collected so the changes that are inevitable with a new owner will not affect me at all. Many more high end collectors my age probably left a note for their widow to contact CNG. Are they concerned if this was a good move? Should they be? Time will tell. Another thing that comes with age is an increased aversion to changes we can not control.

I hope those of you who do have concern whether this long standing pillar of the numismatic community grows or fails took the trouble to read the excellent Coinweekly interview. Mr Gasvoda said several things that I found interesting for one reason or another. Foremost:
    (re: the incuse coinage of Magna Graecia) I always looked for the instructional pieces - mismatched dies; rotated dies; overstrikes; die states; etc. Each of these coins had an academic way of describing what was going on during the initial minting.
    If his collection will be in the next Triton sale, I shall be very interested in seeing what he had! I love those 'instructional pieces'. I hope everyone else just thinks they are defective.:D
    g10075fd3359.jpg g10086fd3393b.jpg g10090bb0558.jpg

13. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

This is likely a dumb question, however, does CNG have a storefront in Lancaster?

I couldn’t tell from their website and didn’t realize they were based down there.

14. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

When I got into the business 30 years ago I was the youngest dealer out there. I think even Victor England was younger then as I am now (well, I am sure of it). I have plenty of great memories but Doug points out a good point for us ‘elders’. Who should handle our estates? While CNG may be the place now, they may not be in the future. My old will stipulates my coins being sold by a dealer who has now passed on. I really need to update things and perhaps it should be revisited every few years.

15. Ardatirion

That is definitely here to stay. If anything, we would try to expand it to include earlier printed sales that have been digitized.

No store front, but if you need to view lots you can arrange an appointment.

16. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Thanks

17. Ardatirion

You can view the portions of his collection that sold in CNG 109 last week:
    https://cngcoins.com/Search.aspx?PA...R_TYPE_ID_2=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_4=1

18. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

David@PCC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted