CNG Auction Pickups?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dangolf1890, Dec 2, 2015.

1. dangolf1890

dangolf1890 Junior Member

Did anybody get anything from the latest online CNG auction? I picked up a few nice pieces. I'm finding prices at auctions to be a lot lower in general (compared to dealer prices). Not sure if I'll ever buy from coin dealers again lol.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I sat this one out for needing money to buy Christmas presents, but show us what you got!!

TIF likes this.
  4. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

I bought a coin. Auction prices aren't always cheaper, lol, but it's very nice and very rare. I was the underbidder to RBW in Triton I; I wasn't going to miss it again.

Phil Davis

[​IMG]

5. dangolf1890

Mish mosh of stuff. Not a whole lot, but prices were pretty sweet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I sat on this too. Just about done buying for the year. Trying to snag one last coin and that's it for me. Christmas gifts come first.

7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Wow! That certainly is a beauty. Congrats!

Volodya likes this.
  8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Wow, great stuff guys!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

CNGImage.jpg
    I bought this victoriatus. My first example of the denomination. It has the kind of metal problems that many of these have(probably due to being minted with debased silver) but I think it's a great example nonetheless.
    Roman Republic AR Victoriatus(17 mm, 3.08 g, 12 h). Anonymous. ca. 211-210 B.C. Southeast Italian mint. Laureate head of Jupiter right. Border of dots / Victory standing right, crowning trophy; upright spearhead between. ROMA in exergue. Line border. Crawford 83/1a; Sydenham 223; RBW 336; RSC 24m. Ex. RBW collection, purchased from Spink

JBGood, Ancientnoob, Bing and 10 others like this.
  10. David Atherton

Sheepishly, I have to admit I forgot about bidding today. First time that ever happened. There were a couple of lots I had marked and in the end they went cheap.

11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

wow...some nice stuff guys....dang.

i'm on the wagon until january.

stupid wagon.

Carthago and 4to2centBC like this.
  12. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I got lucky on this one. All of the lots I was interested in were ending between 8:00 and 8:30 MST, which is usually when I'm having a cup of coffee, checking email and browsing CoinTalk before heading to work. I just pulled up all the lots I was interested in before going to bed last night and it was ready to go when I got to my computer. Unfortunately several went way higher than I expected, but I knew going in I only had the money for one of the ones I wanted so I just kept bidding until one fell into my budget. I think I was underbidder on 4 or 5 before this one.

David Atherton likes this.
  13. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I was wondering what the reasoning behind this bid was. Sometimes you just gotta have that particular piece.

TIF, red_spork and David Atherton like this.
  14. David Atherton

Congrats on your new purchase! A very lovely coin.

15. dangolf1890

I did see some crazy stuff like coins with an estimate of $150 going for $1,200. Quite a few that went for 2-3x the estimate.

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Lots of stuff I wanted to bid on in British, but another kid getting accepted into a university curtails such thoughts.

Jwt708 likes this.
  17. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

1st rate examples of the type bring strong prices. This one--very nice but clearly inferior--hammered at 3500 CHF at NAC in 2011:

[​IMG]

I was at the sale; I was the underbidder on that one too. I'm not getting any younger and enough was enough.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  18. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

First of all -- Congratulations on your acquisitions, well done.
    Secondly, I browse a lot of auctions and do sit in on some and do bid up to what I'm
    willing to pay (plus the juice) and NEVER exceed it. Bargains can be had if one is very careful and disciplined. However, don't ignore your local dealers as you can
    sometimes 'negotiate' with them.

dangolf1890 likes this.
  19. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I have a lot of respect for this. It's always nice to save some money, but there's more to collecting than just hunting bargains.

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

For some of us it is not unusual to get a wanted coin for half what we would have paid in one case and see one of lesser interest go for thre times as much. I'm sure employees of auction houses try to figure what some bidders were thinking not understanding all the factors in play. They may never know whether they were right or not.

21. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

And sometimes bargain hunting is the only way to collect when budgets are small. If it mean little to no greek silver and rarely a roman republic, so be it. I am happy with how I collect with small budget a month.

Ancientnoob and Jwt708 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted