CNG auction I lost one and won 3

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bcuda, Mar 11, 2020.

1. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

I lost out on the one I wanted the most in todays CNG auction.
    I did manage to win three others, here are the ones I won.

472_1.jpg
    Tacitus. AD 275-276. Antoninianus (21.5mm, 4.38 g, 12h). Rome mint, 4th officina. 2nd emission, November-December AD 275. Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Salus standing left, holding scepter and feeding serpent coiled around and rising from altar to left; XXIΔ. RIC V 93 corr. (seated); BN 1562. Silvering, toned, some deposits. Good VF.

Ex Phil Peck Collection.

477_1.jpg
    Probus. AD 276-282. Antoninianus (23mm, 3.96 g, 6h). Ticinum mint, 2nd officina. 2nd emission, AD 276. Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Concordia standing right, holding two signa, facing Sol standing left, raising right hand and holding globe; SXXT. RIC V 344 var. (bust type); Pink VI/1, p. 60. Toned silvering, flan crack, traces of deposits. EF. Bold strike.

Ex Phil Peck Collection.

483_1.jpg
    Carinus. AD 283-285. Antoninianus (22mm, 3.71 g, 6h). Rome mint, 5th officina. 6th emission, AD 285. Radiate and cuirassed bust right / Fides standing left, holding two signa; K(crescent)AЄ. RIC V 253 var. (mintmark); Pink VI/2 p. 39. Brown surfaces, some toned silvering. Near EF.

Ex Phil Peck Collection.

This is the one I lost out on it just went over my budget I bid it all the way to its selling price.

474_1.jpg
    Florian. AD 276. Antoninianus (21.5mm, 4.19 g, 12h). Rome mint, 6th officina. 1st emission, July-August. IMP C FLORIANVS AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / VIRTVS AVG, Florian standing right, holding spear and globe; XXIς. RIC V 47; BN 1912-6. Traces of toned silvering remain, brown patina. VF.

Ex Phil Peck Collection.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

You won three beauties. Very nice additions to your collection
    I'm sure.

bcuda likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That Florian is a real beauty.

svessien, Paul M. and bcuda like this.
  5. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@bcuda
    On the Carinus piece, what does the "NI " mean or stand for on
    the reverse above "Fides"?

bcuda likes this.
  6. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

I do not have a clue what it means. Maybe someone here knows the answer.

7. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

It is Fides Militum Meaning the loyalty of the army.

8. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Nice, great catches. Congrats.

bcuda likes this.
  9. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Wow - that is what I call a great day!
    Love them all but I really like the Carinus - what a beard!

bcuda likes this.
  10. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Those are some superb ants, congrats!! All three have spectacular portraits.

I fell short on most of the lots I was tracking, but did pick up a group lot of Commodus denarii (also from the Peck collection). The bidding stayed pretty low, it includes some scarce ones, and I've been wanting a Commodus as Caesar. I'll be curious to see the bits that are hiding...

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 10.18.10 PM.jpg

svessien, Paul M., zumbly and 7 others like this.
  11. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

I think you did a good deal

Severus Alexander likes this.
  12. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

Love the Florian too

13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..kool! ...those fit right in the 3rd century emperors well!..:)

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Those are very nice @bcuda. I especially like the Tacitus and Carinus.
    I didn't get a chance to browse this auction, but that looks to be a cool score, Sev. I like the two on the left and am curious about the Commodus as Caesar, too.

I picked up a small group lot of ex Peck coins last year and was really pleased with a few of them, in particular, these two A-Pis.

Antoninus Pius - Den Felicitas early ex Peck 3930.jpg ANTONINUS PIUS
    AR Denarius. 3.02g, 18.1mm. Rome mint, 10 Jul - end AD 138. RIC III 4 corr. (bust type, obv legend); BMCRE pg 2, *; RSC 659a. O: IMP CAES AEL ANTONINVS AVG, bare head right. R: PONT MAX T R POT COS, Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and cornucopiae.
    Ex Phil Peck Collection

Antoninus Pius - Den Hands Caduceus ex Peck 3929.jpg
    ANTONINUS PIUS
    AR Denarius. 3.46g, 18mm. Rome mint, AD 139. RIC 43 (S); RSC 833; BMCRE pg 17, 85. O: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P, bare head right. R: TR P COS II, Clasped hands holding winged caduceus and two corn-ears.
    Ex Phil Peck Collection

panzerman, svessien, Bing and 4 others like this.
  15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Both are nice Z, but that "clasped hands" is marvelous! Looks like strong strick and the toning is just out of this world.

zumbly and oldfinecollector like this.
  16. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Nice coins. I really like the Carinus. They are all from a period where they produced beautiful coinage, although it was all billon coins. I have a soft spot for Carus, Carinus and Numerian too. A quite unsuccessful family endeavour, that. But a lot of optimism on the coinage :)

D0FDA542-1215-4127-A262-28B16A5BEF58.jpeg

17. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!! nice quality too....
    3 out of 4 aint bad:)
    John

bcuda likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted