Clueless

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tat2, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Tat2

Tat2 Member

I honestly don't know much about collecting. As far as grades and all the different abbreviations etc. My extent was googling the year and type of coin and seeing if it was worth anything other than face value. How ever I'm learning as I research more and more. I'm looking for any advice I can get. I have a bunch of Lincoln cents from 1930 to present. Alot of which in really good shape. Example. A 1979 Lincoln cent sold for 3800 simply because it was graded 68+. I understand thats about as high as it gets for a circulated coin. I have the same coin and I'm not exaggerating when I say it's in better shape than the 3800 dollar one. But how do I get it authenticated or graded ? I have a bunch of pennys that I've seen auction for 100s even 1000s but have no idea what to do.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Could you post images of the 1979?

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Take solace in the fact that those $3800.00 cents are quite rare. Of the billions minted a mere handful may command a premium such as that. You could start by posting some photos here and let the experts take a look and offer their opinions. You could go to an area stamp/coin shop and have them take a look...... The second part of your question is about professional grading. To do that typically you need to be a member of the grading service. However again you can usually turn to your local stamp/coin dealer and usually they can help..... Old coins are a marvelous and lifelong fulfilling hobby. Take some time to get to know what you have. Purchase a Redbook. Do not take your advice from YouTube.... But why not post what you got and let the forum experts give you their feel?

Nyatii likes this.
  5. Richard gladfelter

Richard gladfelter Well-Known Member

I'm new,started this about 2 weeks ago and thought every penny I saw was the one. BOY was I wrong. The best advice I can give you is READ-READ-READ,there is so much to take into consideration. I'm learning alot and don't be afraid to ask questions. There's never a dumb question. Hope that helped,happy hunting!

Stevearino likes this.
  6. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Ms68 would not be a circulated coin, coins in those high grades are generally hand selected from sealed mint sets and then graded. The odds of anything of great value in circulated modern Lincoln cents would be quite low. Coin collecting is a fascinating hobby, with so much to learn, your coins may not contain anything of much monetary value but sounds like a great way to learn more about collecting. You may find a hidden gem and I hope you do, but even if you don't you'll come away knowing a lot more about coins than you do now!

AUAGBUG, Nyatii and Stevearino like this.
  7. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

It would help if you where able to post a pic of front and back, you will find you might get more help to answer your questions. IMO
    Dave

8. Richard gladfelter

SHOW US SOME COINS LOL!

AUAGBUG likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Go to the PCGS website and find out
    https://www.pcgs.com

baseball21 and Stevearino like this.
  10. Ron W

Ron W Member

Show us some Pic's if you can. Go to the PCGS site for info on how to send them in etc. If the coin was graded a 68 + it was probably not a circulated coin , but right from the mint. Be sure to look for the 14' D , 24' D & 31' S You may already know all of this --- just checking ..

11. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

tat2...search the forum, learn the links to internet sites. Lincolncentresource, doubleddie, varietyvista, if you don't already know. Research your question before you post, then post proper pictures. Full-size images of both sides, cropped to remove extraneous edges, and please post them in focus, not blurry. And clear close-ups of specific areas. Pay particular attention to lighting and glare.

When I joined the forum last October, I read ALL posts for 3 months, and only posted to get clarification on terminology or offering info help to areas I had experience or expertise.

You're on the right track. Welcome to CoinTalk!

Spark

Richard gladfelter likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

@Tat2 Just a quickie, MS stands for Mint State, which means uncirculated. Uncirculated means there are NO signs of wear on the coin. Can we get MS (uncirculated) coins from circulation...absolutely, but they have to HAVE NO SIGNS OF WEAR! With that being said, MS grades start at MS60 which is an uncirculated coin and progress to MS70 which is a "perfect" coin with no trace of wear and no marks on it. Grading is a pretty meticulous process which requires lots of experience. Grading is done by many "Third Party Grading companies" or TPG's. The easiest way to get a coin professionally graded is to have a dealer submit the coin for you and it is not really too cheap a proposition. On the other hand, many members here (myself not included) are quite good at grading. I would recommend as a first step to take some photos of the coins you have questions about and post them here to see people's opinions. Regardless of what you do, good luck and welcome to CoinTalk.

13. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Hope they look better then the 2017p cents. Perfect. Not even a slight scrach

14. JDL

JDL Member

Speaking of 2017P Lincolns, I live in central California and have only found 1 (one!!!) in 15000+ pennies I looked through. The hoarders must be in full hoard mode!

Richard gladfelter likes this.
  15. Richard gladfelter

Yes we are,no prob on the east coast! The are very common where I'm at,all of these coins have those spots and just look bad. Even out the rolls these.,,spots are a $/#!@.
    15214397248871339528252.jpg

16. Tat2

Tat2 Member

I'm going to show u a pic of the one that sold for 3800 that was graded 68+. I get what u are saying how perfect the new ones look. A big part of how it reached that grade of 68+ is because of how good of condition it was in for a circulated coin that old.
    this coin I'm referring to was graded by pcgs.

Attached Files:

17. Tat2

Tat2 Member

18. Richard gladfelter

Tat2 likes this.
  19. robec

robec Junior Member

PCGS has graded no 1979 Lincoln's 68+. The highest grade for this 1979 Philadelphia issue is MS68...........there are 8 with none graded higher.

You can see in the "+" row it is blank in the 68 column.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I could trade you a roll of p for d if you wanna. Just dont know how to send personal coin talk messages

21. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Pretty simple. I am as tech challenged as they come. If I can do it.... well anyway, click on the persons name. It will bring up a box with several choices. One of those choices is, “start a conversation”. Click that one and there you are. You are now sending a personal message.

Draft saved Draft deleted