Cloudy proof

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Steve66, Aug 27, 2015.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Thanks Brother........:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That can be difficult at times. If memory serves it was quite a while before it became common knowledge that the the new $1 coins (new in 2000) had a special coating on them to try and prevent toning. And as far as I know even the new dollar coins do.

The problem is the mints are often reluctant to release that kind of information. So finding out the hard way is often the only way there is.

And then of course you have the problem of individuals who put coating on coins to try and protect them. Or thinking the coatings will protect them, they don't realize that the coatings end up being harmful because they are sold as protectants.

4. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Well, I tried the dip using these steps (twice)... the coin is still the same.

So, my question is, if this coin was submitted to a grading service would it get a "details" grade?

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

No, assuming that the coin still looks ok. It will get a reduction in grade for the haziness though, to the point where it probably isn't worth it to submit them.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would have bet that a dip would have removed the haze. Interesting. I guess the haze is deep in the surface?

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Here is a photo of a coin that had some type of acrylic solution on it. The owner was hoping at worst it might be an epoxy finish as there are materials to take it off. You can see the transparent outline around the devices. It is probably still there on the coin wherever that might be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted