Cloudy proof

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Steve66, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

I have this proof coin, and it had a fingerprint on it, so I gave the coin a quick acetone bath. The fingerprint is gone, but now the coin is all cloudy.

I first removed the coin from the acetone, let it air dry, and I noticed the cloudiness. I then put it back in the acetone, and then rinsed it off with distilled water… Still cloudy.

So did I screw up this coin for good, or is there something else I can try?

Other than the cloudiness this coin is flawless…

IMG_8766.jpg IMG_8769.jpg IMG_8777.jpg

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

As Doug would say

You can't undo a cleaning

4. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Did the coin sit in the acetone until it evaporated? I wouldn't recommend trying to clean the coin anymore. The contaminate looks to be permanent now.

Maybe put it in one of those paper coin envelopes and hope for some really cool toning. May take a few years though.

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

You could try EZest. Works well on proofs if done properly.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

No only a few minutes

What contaminates? i used 100% pure acetone.

I might try this.

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Try a fresh bath of acetone for just a few seconds.

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

It was worth a try but no help

swamp yankee likes this.
  9. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Your post made it seem like the haze was not present prior to the acetone wash. It would have been contaminates the acetone lifted either from the coin or the vessel you used to soak the coin. The appearance of the haze on the coin looks like something pooled on the field portion of the coin between the devices. Thus, why I asked if the acetone evaporated on the coin.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would stop where you are with this coin. The only thing you can do is to dip it. It needs to be a quick dip in a week solution. You will kill the coin if you do it wrong.
    It looks great just the way it is.

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Steve - some coins have coating put on them when they are issued by the mint. I don't know that it is, but if this coin is one of those kind of coins, that could be the problem. The acetone dissolved some or all of the coating and left the coin looking as it does now. There are several other possibilities as well.

But exactly what kind of container did you use when you rinsed this coin in acetone ? Was it a glass bowl, plastic bowl, metal bowl etc etc etc ? What was it ?

swamp yankee and Silverino like this.
  12. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

It was a glass bowl.
    The coating thing would make since... I have done several proofs the same way, and never had this issue.

swamp yankee likes this.
  13. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Use a double or triple acetone bath.

swamp yankee likes this.
  14. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I'd use this, although I usually dilute it to roughly half strength with distilled water for removing haze. As mentioned it works very well if done properly.

swamp yankee likes this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

When you guys use this 'EZest', what do you do? Hold the coin by it's edges (wearing rubber gloves?) and do a quick dip with an distilled water rinse?

swamp yankee likes this.
  16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Not only a fresh bath of "new" acetone but clean out the container you're pouring the acetone into. Wipe it out with acetone on a paper towel.

Acetone will cloud up a proof if it has impurities in it.

17. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I don't even bother with the gloves though I guess I probably should, but yeah that's pretty much what I do. Afterwards I usually rinse with distilled water, dip in fresh acetone let that dry real quick and then store the coin in it's flip, airtite, etc.
    I'd recommend practicing on some worthless proofs, circulation coins, etc first just to get the hang of it. But it's really pretty simple to do and I've found the results on haze like OP's coin generally tend to be fantastic.

swamp yankee and green18 like this.
  18. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I agree that diluting it is a good idea. And I don't bother with the rubber gloves either. I tried it for the first time on some really hazed over silver Ike proofs. Most of them came out very well, but a couple may have just been too far gone. They had gone underwater during Katrina. Since then I used it dozens of times on proofs with varying degrees of success, but they are almost always better than before the dip.

swamp yankee, green18 and Kentucky like this.
  19. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Yes, I started fresh.

So, how would a person know if a coin has been coated?

Without finding out the hard way, as i may have done.

20. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I would dip it, proofs hold up well to a quick dip since there are very little or no "luster lines" to destroy . As others have said, a diluted solution is advised. I have cleaned up some pretty cloudy proofs with a dip, leaving the coin with little or no evidence of the bath.

Mike

swamp yankee and green18 like this.
  21. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I have a couple of coins that came from mint sets (Moroccan coins from the 50's) which did the same thing. They were clear before the acetone (except for a couple of spots that I wanted to treat), and afterwords they clouded up just like that. I want to try a quick dip, but haven't bought any yet.

swamp yankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted