Clothes with saw-like edge

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jochen1, Nov 27, 2023.

1. Jochen1

Jochen1 Well-Known Member

Dear friends of ancient coins!

We discussed this problem several years ago, but without achieving a satisfactory result. Now I have rediscovered it and am starting a new attempt. Many depictions of provincial coins from northern Greece show garments with a saw-like edge, as on this coin from Nicopolis. Does anyone have any idea what this is?
    Nicopolis_Elagabal_HrHJ(2023)8.26.4.10_rev.jpg

Thank you for any answer
    Jochen

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

No idea. Sorry.
    shoulder shrug.jpeg

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

5. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember at least one such thread, and I recall being satisfied with the answer, but I can no longer remember where or what...

Several possibilities come to mind. My vote would be the first, below (although she seems to be wearing it more as a belt around the waist)

Here is a male wearing something similar in a sculpture from 5th cent. Cyprus, with this description from Getty images:
    "A himation, with diagonal folds, is draped over the left shoulder and forms small zigzags on the vertical edge":​
    https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...ss-male-votary-in-greek-news-photo/1198412641
    gettyimages-1198412641-612x612.jpg

Another possibility is that it is the die-cutters' representation of the folds often shown on the far edge of the himation (?), as often shown on sculpture/friezes:
    https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/253483
    himation.jpg

Here is a modern representation, illustrating the folded decoration at the margin of the garment:
    https://kimmygutierrezart2130.wordpress.com/2016/09/15/greek-himation-dress/
    Screenshot 2023-11-27 120703.png

For a numismatic example of the latter two, here is the Diana/Artemis on my "Dreadlocked Gallia" denarius of Hostilius Saserna:
    Dreadlocked_Gallia_R_IMG_1426-removebg-preview-E.png CONSERVATORI-Hostilius Saserna AR Denarius Dreadlocked Gallia DRAFT 2-B.png

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
  6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

For what it's worth (probably not much), the mantle worn by St John Baptist on this florin is described as "sheep skin mantle"

[​IMG]

Q

Carl Wilmont, lordmarcovan and Bing like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I never saw the original thread but looking at your coin the first thing that I thought of was the person is wearing a train or a pleated garment and this was how it was depicted on coins.

8. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

It looks like a stylized version of the folds in the garment like these coins of Gordian III:

high (1).jpg

high.jpg

high (2).jpg

Broucheion, Carl Wilmont and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted