[CLOSED] LordM giveaway, October 2017

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Oct 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The theme is "Treasures & Discoveries", so all you have to do to enter is tell the story of a favorite find, be it modest or magnificent.

The prize will be awarded randomly, by a drawing.

Come check it out.

Deadline is Halloween at midnight Eastern US time (October 31st).

LaCointessa and Adam34falcon like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Adam34falcon

Adam34falcon Active Member

I don't collect coins at the time but I did find a silver nickel...

We were at a craft store during a festival and we got a small bag of candy to eat on the way. We got some change and I randomly started looking through the dates (keep in mind this is before I started investing in precious metals) and I found an old nickel and googled the date and found out it was a old silver war nickel. I sold it on ebay :p

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

No soup for you........you sold it. devil.gif

LaCointessa and Adam34falcon like this.
  5. Adam34falcon

Adam34falcon Active Member

Oh am I supposed to post this on the other forum? Oops...

6. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

moved post

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  7. lordmarcovan

Yes, entries need to be on the giveaway thread. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

In the early 80'swhen I was in High School, I used to search the low value pick boxes at shows for Older German states and other European minors before 1850. This was at a time when it was difficult to find info and the only decent reference book was Craig's Coins of the world 1750-1850.

For 50 cents, I bought a worn copper with Britannia on the rev. I originally thought it was an old English half penny, but Britannia was facing the wrong way. It sat in my "ID later" box for years. I ruled it out being a Connecticut Copper. Eventually by 2007 or 2008, I was suspecting it might be a Canadian Blacksmith Token. I was living in the Boston area at the time, and took it to a Boston Numismatic Society meeting. A friend from the club mentioned that dealer/researcher Bob Vlack was familiar with the subject and he would introduce me to him at an upcoming show. Sure enough Bob was able to ID it as a rare blacksmith issue, and pointed out another dealer who might be interested in it for his collection. I ended up trading it for a nice Mass Cent for my Colonial Type set.

Not bad for a 50 cent junk box find. I learned a tremendous amount over years trying to ID that sucker. I feel a little sad about trading it, especially since I have a small collection of Pre-confederation Canadian (Charlton) tokens, but blacksmith tokens were a type of evasion coinage and it didn't have a lot of detail showing. Plus, I really like the Mass Copper (my friend from the BNS specialized in these and I always liked seeing coins from his collection)

ron_c and lordmarcovan like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

Great cherrypick!

10. tmeyer

tmeyer Au hunter

Being new to roll coin hunting, on my 4th box of pennies I found a 1972 DDO-002! I could not believe I found one. I know some members have been looking a very long time for one. Condition is about MS60.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Contest entry.

I may have shared this story before on CT: in about 1960, when 10 or 11, I used to check the cash register in my parents’ small town cafe several times daily to fill holes in my blue Whitman folders.

I found a 1922 no D, but no hole for it. Showed it to my dad who shrugged his shoulders and tossed it into his upper right desk drawer.

Several years later I realized what I had earlier found and asked him if I could go through his drawer. It was still there.

When I needed money for college I sold him nearly all my coins. When he died at nearly 92 four years ago, I needed to liquidate the estate for three siblings. To avoid any appearance of dishonesty I sold it all to LCS.

I REALLY wish I would have kept that coin, a strong EF reverse but with a bit of corrosion on the obverse. But I have great memories of the discovery.

Thanks, @lordmarcovan for the opportunity to share the story, let alone participate in the contest.

Steve

12. lordmarcovan

That's awesome.

As I retold in another thread recently, I made a nice Lincoln cent find in 2006:

This was my second-best cherrypick. Bought it in a bulk bag of Wheaties for less than a nickel. Sold for over $700, if I remember correctly. The coin was a bit grungy when found in the source bag, and had a piece of dirt covering the mintmark. A light Vaseline rub to remove the grime, and a toothpick to remove the crud from the crevices, and ... presto! "D" doesn't just stand for "dirt"! :)

[​IMG]

I would've thrown a bone to the person who sold it to me, except I had mixed two or three bulk lots together, so I don't know which source lot it came from.

13. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

My most favorite find I have is a 1962 D silver Washington Quarter. Here is the story, I had an old metal detector it did not work very well. And then I got a garret Ace 200, and within 5 minutes I found a 1962 D Washington Quarter.

LaCointessa and lordmarcovan like this.
  14. lordmarcovan

Ain't that a rush, seeing a decent sized piece of silver come out of the ground like that?

This was the first piece of silver I found with a modern detector. (A Garrett GTA-500). Ain't it purdy? It's not too often they still show luster after being in the ground for decades.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LaCointessa and Noah Finney like this.
  15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Your so generous. You handsome dirt digger

LaCointessa and Stevearino like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Obviously you haven't seen a recent photo of me, and are judging me from my 13-year-old avatar picture. ;)

17. Lester Maddox

Lester Maddox Member

It was not really my find, but my wife found it and she knew I collected coins. (funny how wives seemed to find out everything about you). It was at a garage sale and some older woman was trying to pay for at item that was about $1.00. She had Indian head nickels and the seller thought they were fake. (yes we are talking about a purchase of a piece of junk for $1.00--I would have given the lady a dollar just to rid of it. But I digress. My wife paid for the item and the buyer gave my wife the nickels.

18. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

When getting food for the week, about 7 or 8 years ago, the young cashier ask if I would mind taking a half dollar as part of the change. Thinking it could be a 40% half, I told her sure. Image my surprise when she hands me a Walker. I ask if she had any more halves and she said she had a lot, as an elderly man had paid part of his purchase with half dollars and she couldn't get rid of them, probably thinking they were clad. I ended up with the following at face value:

Walker - 7
    Franklin - 9
    Kennedy 90% - 10
    Kennedy 40% - 8
    Counterstamped Stone Mountain Half Dollar (sold this year for $1800+)

DSC01079c.jpg

DSC01082b.jpg

1925 c.jpg

1925 d.jpg

19. lordmarcovan

WOW on the c/s Stone Mountain- as if the silver stash itself weren't already "wow" enough!

20. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

I didn't even know what it was, I thought someone had ruined it by stamping the letters and number on the coin. It sit in my junk silver pile for 2 years or more, until someone on this forum, told me what it really was and I couldn't believe what they were selling for when I checked on an auction site.

21. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

My best "treasure" so far to date is my 1972 DDO 001 cent. I didn't know much about coins at the time and had only been doing it for a few months to help with dealing with stress from work. I've found lots of cool things during my time CRH but this is my absolute favorite :) Sorry for the crap pictures. Someday I will break him out of his 2x2 flip and take better pictures :)
    1972 DDO 001 ObvRev Black.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.