[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #93 (on behalf of Mountain Man)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Apr 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@BuffaloHunter I love that token. Never seen one like it. Thanks for the post.

PamR and BuffaloHunter like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@lordmarcovan and others, I had another doctor's appointment in town yesterday, which became a complicated all day ordeal, but I managed to pick up my mail and couldn't believe my eyes; @lordmarcovan lost in the mail Gordian III and his famous elongated coin showed up!!
    I think I must have awakened a sleeping employee that pushed it back into the main stream of delivery. It only took a month to arrive.

4. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

Woohoo! LM knows my pain from waiting for a prize to show up! ;)

This is my entry - I have no ancients but last year I did visit Hadrian's Wall (first picture) at Chesters Roman Fort (other 3 pictures). I wouldn't half like a coin to match. :)

I have to say I was a wee bit disappointed - there's no way in hell that pile of rocks would keep a marauding Scotsman out! :woot:

Hadrian's wall.jpg

Chesters Roman Fort.jpg

Chesters Roman Fort1.jpg

Chesters Roman Fort2.jpg

5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Yes, not too much left now. But when you think The Wall was the northern border of the Empire in Britain for much of the Roman Empire's rule, and also the most heavily fortified border in the Empire. Originally 73 miles long, 15 feet high and 10 feet thick.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@BuffaloHunter - I enjoyed your post. And it was nice to give your entry to @potty dollar 1878. But here's another extra entry, just for you.

7. lordmarcovan

Those photos make the former metal detectorist in me all twitchy. Just think of how many coins like the prize coin must be sleeping in the dirt near those ruins, waiting to be discovered!

8. lordmarcovan

Extra entry post for @mrbadexample, who really should get a coin of Hadrian's, after visiting the Wall. Consider it a homework assignment, should you not be selected to win this one, Mr. B.E.!

9. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

Thank you for the extra entry! I confess I'm not good with ancients, I don't know enough about them. However, the older I get the more of a connection I feel...;)

PamR, lordmarcovan and expat like this.
  10. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

My thanks to Mountain Man and Lordm, both for their generosity. If I was to win I would give my spot to potty dollar. If given another spot then that one would go to masterswimmer. Thanks

PamR, masterswimmer and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. lordmarcovan

Almost everyone feels intimidated by ancients at first. I know I did, which is the main reason I took them up relatively late, more than 30 years after I began collecting. And though that was more than a decade ago now, I'm still only barely out of the novice stage with them.

One can't let a lack of knowledge about them be discouraging. You just have to jump in with both feet and learn as you go. I have, and do not regret it. I'll never be one of these scholarly types who collects ancients and does a deep dive on their history and every nuance and die variety. There are a lot of specialized folks like that. I'll never be like that- but I have fun with them. I did always find them interesting, even before I collected them.

PamR, mrbadexample and expat like this.
  12. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Agreed. A general historical understanding around the time of each emperor is sufficient. As an Englishman, a large part of the History curriculum at school focused on the three and a half centuries of Roman rule of Britain. Holding in your hand something that was also held by someone a couple of millennia ago is something special in it's own right.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. lordmarcovan

As you can imagine, we Americans get a lot less Classical history in school. In fact, other than Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, which I was forced to read (aloud in class*, in the role of Cassius), coins taught me everything I know about ancient history.

(*And that Shakespearean bit of historical learning was done in English Literature class, not World History.)

masterswimmer and expat like this.
  14. lordmarcovan

Bump, to push this above the closed contests.

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Thanks for the chance.

Picture that my daughter recently sent to me.

She moved to Portland, OR just prior to the pandemic.

upload_2023-5-1_10-22-52.png

lordmarcovan and masterswimmer like this.
  16. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Entry Post:

Put me down for an entry, but with one caveat: should this entry be selected as the winner, I would like to nominate @Evan Saltis to receive the prize.

That said, I believe this lovely piece I bought and sold recently might be a crowd-pleaser of sorts whether you collect shipwreck coins or not.

Obverse: (Ignore the car hair)
    1698 Peru 8 Reales OBV.jpg
    Reverse:

1698 Peru 8 Reales REV.jpg

lordmarcovan and masterswimmer like this.
  17. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Entry post (and thank you both Mountainman and LordM :D
    Now a nice pic for MM.... my prettiest AT Morgan lol...
    1882o.JPG 1882or.JPG

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Crap. Can’t believe I didn’t notice that typo when I posted.

Here’s the real culprit and its not a car:

7D424D1D-BDB8-43FC-89AB-9940E65D5BBA.jpeg

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

My phone does “car food” all the time on shopping lists I text to Ladymarcovan.

21. ArbySea

ArbySea Well-Known Member

Entry Post.

Thanks to @lordmarcovan for the contest and to @Mountain Man for suggesting/being the inspiration for this event.

Being of a certain age, my wife and I are making our plans for the future; it is an interesting/complicated process.

My wife is from Maryville, TN and so is a (Smoky) mountain girl. I have fond memories of visiting Cades Cove and camping in Happy Valley. Now we live close to the middle of SC; turn left and drive a few hours and you're in the mountains or turn right and a few hours later you're at the beach. Really, outside of our farm, our two favorite places.

SC.jpg

lordmarcovan and SensibleSal66 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.