[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #92 (Your first Morgan dollar?)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Apr 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

I do have a Morgan. It was a gift from my dad, after I started collecting he brought out a few coins he'd had for a while even though he doesn't collect. It was an 1890-O....
    If this post wins, I would like that to go to @Noah Finney. Thanks @lordmarcovan!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have owned my fair share of dollars, so if I win I would like to nominate @meandyou4ever0 to receive the prize. I know she loves coins and is deserving of a nice Morgan.

I collected coins using my school lunch money. I was a poor kid. Then my granddad surprised me with two of the GSA dollars when they hit the market back in the mid-1970’s. When he gave me these, I just knew my coin collector dreams had all been fulfilled…. In hindsight, all he did was enable my lifelong addiction!!

2B69E7E9-C6D2-44EE-B5B4-39678C89F866.jpeg

4. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

It is funny, even though the contest is young, how many of us have just a few Morgans. I always thought they were like the Lincoln cents; most coin collectors probably had several, if not almost the whole set. I have 3, all provided by my grandfather who collected coins. We bonded over coin collecting and when he aged he handed over his collection to me, including a couple common date, really worn Morgans he acquired during his military travels. I'll wait to see more postings before I provide any nomination.

lordmarcovan and PamR like this.
  5. rte

rte Well-Known Member

My better half has not owned a Morgan dollar, nor a Piece dollar.
    She did win a raffle years ago for a silver eagle.
    She's always supporting different causes and throws a few bucks at the local coin club meeting raffle.
    She has way too many bicentennial quarters half's and Ike's...well I say way to many but maybe 20ea.
    I tell her they made billions and they should be making some money in the bank rather than face up in the drawer. (What's that thing about deaf ears) :p

As for my first Morgan, some thought had to go into that one.
    I really can't recall exactly but probably came in with a coin lot back in around 2000.
    I sold off a lot of 1969 mustang parts when I moved and bought G&S along with silver dollars and 90%.
    Couldn't tell you which one was the first one.
    Now my favorite, that's easy my birthyear :D
    a 1964 Morgan.

lordmarcovan and PamR like this.
  6. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I purchased my first Morgan Dollar on 4/8/2002 from a Heritage Signature Sale for $450. You know what they say, go big or go home.

[​IMG]

I held this coin for about a decade and when I posted it here on Cointalk, it did not get good reviews. Just about everyone hated it because of the toning breaks, but I was not deterred. The toning was just incredible, and to this day, it is one of my favorite coins that I ever owned. My photo does it more justice than that 20 year old Heritage photo.

[​IMG]

If I win the drawing, I want @Cheech9712 to get the coin.

And thank you to @lordmarcovan , Binx & Bean for a great contest!

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The current Santini collection (the whole shooting match) started with an 1878-S Morgan, nice, but circulated. I later gave it to a kids’ coin club.

I do believe @Sharkbait46737 needs a Morgan for his collection.

Thanks for the contest @lordmarcovan !

8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

It's been so long ago I don't remember.
    But I do remember depositing them into my savings account.
    As far as this contest goes I'll let @lordmarcovan make the choice.

9. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Entry post for @Sharkbait46737 !

My uncle got me in to coin collecting when I was around 12 years old or so. He gave me his collection which included two Morgan dollars. They had belonged to my great grandparents and were from their birth years. Martha was born in 1896 and her dollar was from the San Francisco mint. Oscar was born in 1883 and his dollar was the Philly version. Martha passed away eight years before I was born and I was just short of four years old when Oscar passed. I don't remember him but have pictures of him holding me.

I parted with that original collection a long time ago. I wish I would have at least held on to those dollars. I don't remember what the grade was on the 1896-S but do recall I had it graded and did fairly well on it. I did replace their birth years with other, nicer coins, along the way.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

When I was a kid, the banks would exchange dollar bills for silver dollars, although I liked the Peace dollars more, sometimes as a gift, I would get Morgans...they all spent the same...:( I'll nominate @Cheech9712 to get the coin

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

How many 1909-S VDB Lincolns did we stick in parking meters, you suppose?

Kentucky likes this.
  12. meandyou4ever0

meandyou4ever0 meandyou4ever0

Awwww thank you @Randy Abercrombie . So sweet

13. Sharkbait46737

Sharkbait46737 Well-Known Member

Btw, Covid sucks.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  14. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

4 years ago I received 2 Morgan dollars from my Father-in-Law. Apparently I was the only person who showed an interest in his hobby, and so he gave for my Birthday, an 1883 CC in GSA slab with box and COA and also the coin shown below. I then inherited his collection when he sadly passed.
    If my entry is selected I would like the prize to go to @Cheech9712.
    Obv-Rev 1901-O.jpg

Cheech9712 and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This is an entry post for @Evan Saltis. I know he’s had a Morgan dollar before, because I bought the prize coin from him. He was selling some coins to fix or replace his lost or broken phone, as I recall. So here’s his chance to win this one back. If this entry post wins the drawing and he doesn’t want it back, he can always choose who’s gonna get it.

16. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

I always remember the Morgan Dollar I was given as a gift.
    It means a lot when you get a nice gift from someone, and
    you think of them whenever you see it.:)

I asked lordmarcovan and he gave me permission to enter on behalf of a teenage friend of mine
    named Micah. He is not a member of the forum, but he likes coins and I know he would really like a Morgan Dollar.

17. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

My First Morgan came from Eaton's coin counter in Vancouver (I know a department store coin counter makes me sound like the 40-50 but Eaton's was old school) and I want to say was Carson City I am not 100% on if I got that one first. It was a great place to buy coins and always a fun time.

If my entry is pick it goes back to @lordmarcovan for another fun contest :)

18. Travis G

Travis G Active Member

This is very kind of you to do these giveaway,s. I only own one Morgan and it's a 1921. I suppose I'd give it to sharkbait. Thanks LordM

SensibleSal66 and lordmarcovan like this.
  19. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

I bought my first Morgan Dollar from an antique shop for only $25. :D
    If my number's picked send it to @APX78

SensibleSal66 and lordmarcovan like this.
  20. coinaline

coinaline Active Member

I have never owned a Morgan, but have admired from afar.
    I was just talking today about how most of my first collection was built from pennies and nickels found in change and piggy banks along with my grandma's generous donation of wheat pennies and nickels and newer silver dollars along with coin books and bank bags to hold them.
    I always wondered why I couldn't find dimes or quarters pre 1964, now I know :).
    Morgans never came through the regular channels either.
    With my now second collection, I have wanted to buy one but was always afraid it would be fake.
    Thank you for the chance!

lordmarcovan and SensibleSal66 like this.
  21. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

I have never owned a Morgan dollar. I would be very pleased to add that to my collection. :D

Thank LM as always for the opportunity.

Kentucky and lordmarcovan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.