[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #71 (win a coin from my personal collection)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Feb 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

LordM Giveaway #71 (win a coin from my personal collection)

This contest is now CLOSED. Winner was announced in Post #103.

This giveaway is brought to you by Lucy and Elvis. Lucy has her best "bacon!!!" face on here.

B08168C6-29FF-482B-BDBE-7E1A3E0B74E4.jpeg

Hello, and welcome to the latest giveaway. :)

In this one, we're giving away the chance to win a coin from my personal "Eclectic Box" collection.

[​IMG]
    *Not the coins above. Read on.

To enter this giveaway:

1. Go look at the last update I posted about the collection in September of last year.

2. For your entry post, tell me what your favorite coins in the collection are. Chances are, these will not include the one you might win, but you will win one of the coins shown in that thread. Basically, you're giving me an a opinion on my stuff in return for a chance to win a piece of the collection. (But not necessarily one of the favorites you mention).

3. Pick from which category you would like your prize to be. The winning post will be selected via random drawing and the prize lot will be one coin of my choice from whichever category you chose. You do not get to pick the coin for your prize. Merely its category. If you end up the finalist, I might even let you pick from two or three different possibile candidates later, depending on which category you chose. We'll see.

The four categories you may choose from are:
    A- Ancient or Medieval
    B- World Coins
    C- United States Coins
    D- Exonumia

The prize coin will be third-party certified by PCGS, NGC, or ANACS (unless you win an ancient, in which case the coin will either be raw or NGC certified). You will not be winning one of my gold coins nor one of the really expensive ones, but on the other hand, your prize will not be the very cheapest coin in the collection, either.

Alternately, if you do not feel like entering the contest on your own behalf, you may nominate another CoinTalk member to receive your prize instead. Just name your designated member. Then if you do win the drawing, your nominee will get the prize credit.

Entries from international members are welcome. As usual, there is no shipping charge nor any strings attached. Minors, please get your parents' permission to receive items in the mail.

The random drawing should take place sometime around April 1st, 2022 (no foolin'!) but if it happens to get delayed by my absence, you may consider the contest to still be open and running until I return and announce its closing.

Numismatic Regards,

~Robertson ("Rob") Shinnick ("lordmarcovan")
    Golden Isles of Georgia, February 27, 2022

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Giveaway archive

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Entry post category c-capped bust half.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  4. lordmarcovan

Read the instructions, Potty.

Cheech9712 and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  5. potty dollar 1878

The whole message didn't go through don't know why it happens from time to time.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

It was only just posted when you swooped in like a hungry seagull. ;)

I am in fact still editing and tweaking it.

Paddy54, dwhiz and Kentucky like this.
  7. potty dollar 1878

Fixed it I own some dimes but no halves I really like that gold spanish escudo:D:Ddon't own any old pirate erra spanish coins let alone a gold one.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

That escudo was just sold. Shipped it out the other day, since I now own an eight-escudos piece.

In any event, the escudo would not have been the giveaway prize, since, as mentioned, none of the gold or the really expensive stuff is on the table as prizes. But in selecting that as your favorite, I think you've got good taste. I liked the toning on that piece.

I went from a half-escudo to a one-escudo to an 8-escudos, so I guess I'm moving up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish the toning on the new 8-escudos matched that on the half- and 1-escudo pieces I just sold. But this thing is huge.

[​IMG]

H8_modern, Lueds, mrweaseluv and 2 others like this.
  9. potty dollar 1878

They are big I've seen some I person and wow couldn't imagine finding hundreds of them if you know what I mean.

10. lordmarcovan

It will be a miracle if the person who wins this contest actually gets their stated favorite in the collection as their giveaway prize. LOL

Lueds and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  11. lordmarcovan

I do know what you mean. That would be mind blowing. One is impressive enough.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  12. potty dollar 1878

All these years being on the beach and didn't find anything besides some driftwood and shells.

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

@lordmarcovan

ENTRY POST

Me Lord, I’m not expecting for you to give this one away, but the 1806 draped bust half would fill a big hole in my collection.

Obviously, my favored category is U.S. Coins.

Thanks for your continued generosity, Rob!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  14. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

ENTRY POST,,

I like the Pegasus coin, whatever category that may be in. You choose if I'm incorrect on anything.

15. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

Entry Post

As your collection stands at this moment, my favorite coin would be the 1679 Crown of Charles II.

Regardless, if my entry is drawn as the winner, I would like my prize to be drawn from Category C: United States Coins. I know that my selection itself seems contradictory on its face, but any of those coins would make welcome additions to my type set.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Entry Post
    D- Exonumia

I looked at the September post. Holy Smokes!
    And I'm going back.

That Time is Money is awesome but probably one of those "expensive ones"

Can only dream of something that dazzling.

United States: copper Hard Times token; C.D. Peacock Jeweler, Chicago, "1837" (struck ca. 1902)

I have one medal from 100 years later.
    1937C_D_PeacockJewelers100thAnniversaryGallery.jpg

1937 C.D. Peacock Jewelers
    100th Anniversary
    Great Chicago Fire Relic Token

With a embedded fragment of steel melted in the Chicago Fire of 1871 and cut from the door of the C.D. Peacock vault which withstood the flames and is (was?) in present use in the store on State and Monroe streets.

The obverse has a image of Elijan Peacock and C.D. Peacock with the inscription "C.D. Peacock Chicago Jewelers 1837-1937 100th Anniversary"
    The reverse has the inscription "C.D. Peacock Centennial 100 year milestone in Chicago's History" with Ft. Dearborn 1830 and a Ferris Wheel Worlds Columbian Exposition 1893 and the embedded relic of the vault. (The dark spot at 8 o'clock)
    It is brass gilt and 32 mm in diameter.

I have seen a much larger 76 mm version for sale, I imagine this smaller one is much more common than the large.

The company survived the Great Chicago Fire, despite its location in the middle of the city, as all of its merchandise was kept in a fireproof safe.
    In 1889, Charles Daniel Peacock assumed control of the business and changed the name to the current C.D. Peacock. They issued their first retail catalog in 1893, which coincided with the World's Columbian Exposition.
    The company is still in business today.
    (Not sure if that is true now)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

@TheNickelGuy - C.D. Peacock is still very much around. Cool medal!

PS- I’ll go ahead and drop you a hint. If you win in your chosen category (Exonumia), your prize is very likely going to be a piece that is very relevant to current events. And that’s all I’ll say. ;)

18. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

If I win anything I would be happy.
    You're something else. Thanks for your generosity.

19. lordmarcovan

You appear to be looking at the Corinthian stater in the banner image (that “treasure chest” pic), and not at the collection itself. That Corinthian pegasus used to be part of the collection, but no longer is.

The category you're asked to pick is whichever category you want me to pick your prize from, and has nothing to do with the favorite you’re asked to choose. Go read again, and check out the collection, and pick your prize category. (Sorry if it's confusing.)

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

ENTRY POST
    Category A

Now, your coins (I didn't look at all of them, got too envious)
    The Greece Phokaia...electrum coins are fascinating
    The Ptolemeic coin...wonderful eagle
    The Sasanian (here is my last purchase)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The John silver penny
    The Hogmouth
    Either of the Busties...

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Entry Post-- U.S Coins!! Thanks for the Contest. Love the 1866 Three Cent. Wishing I had one!! :)
    tenor.gif

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    CoinJockey73 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.