[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #57 (three prize drawings, including gold)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Congrats to the winners and a huge thanks to the generous Lordm for running his contests.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Congratulations to the winners and a big thank you to Lordm for his generosity and dedication on this site.

Matthew Kruse and lordmarcovan like this.
  4. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

Congratulations to all the winners! I'm especially happy that @Matthew Kruse won the gold token! And thank you Lord M for all that you do!

SensibleSal66 and Matthew Kruse like this.
  5. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Thank you @lordmarcovan for another great giveaway! Also congrats to the other winners! :)

SensibleSal66 and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

These are always fun. Not just for the chance to win something, but to see all the different items that are posted. Thanks again LordM.

Matthew Kruse and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Thank you! And congratulations to the other winners! I'm a big fan of ancients, but I could not resist the 1798 large cent--after 60 years of collecting, it's my very first 1700s US mint anything.

8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Congrats to the winners. Looking forward to the next contest. Thanks Rob.

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It would’ve already been launched, had I not had an “interesting” (and thereby time-consuming) incident at work last night. Here’s hoping tonight will prove nice and quiet with uninterrupted downtime at work.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  10. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I hope it didn't involve alcohol, drinking in excess, and cleanup......again!

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Thanks for fun on the forum!! You did good!

Jim

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

I decided to stick with the 66 she's just pretty :D might even decide to have her slabbed to add to my slabbed type set (need this coin for both raw and slabbed type sets lol)

13. Mountain Man

Did that hooker show up demanding a refund? LOL

14. lordmarcovan

Nope- seldom if ever see those in my hotel- but the sketchy tweaker-ish guy (a non-guest) who decided to take up residence in the lobby restroom for a full hour and kept flushing the toilet repeatedly at thirty-second intervals again and again and again in there did prove to be a distraction eventually.

I initially did not realize he was still in there and thought the automatic flush sensor on the toilet had gone haywire.

Weirdly, he was not “using the bathroom” in the normal sense. I don’t know what he was doing in there, but it struck me as shady, and after an hour, it was time for it to stop, and he didn’t like it when I told him so.

When I came in to check what might be going on with the toilet, I was startled to find him still there, standing in front of it, fully dressed (and not attending to normal biological functions, I might add), but rather stuffing wads of toilet paper in his ears, which he yanked out and threw in my face when he cussed at me and threatened me on his way out after I asked him to leave.

So then I had to have Security come, and write up the incident, and so on.

But nuffabout that. Otherwise, ‘twas a nice peaceful night.

As it usually is, though any hotel night clerk or taxi driver anywhere can tell a tale or two about the creatures that come out at night. Even in relatively sedate and upscale areas.

15. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Congrats to the winners!

16. Mountain Man

Do you carry pepper spray, just in case?

17. Mountain Man

Especially on a full moon. Worked in a 24 hour restaurant in my younger years and boy did the crazies come out on nights when the moon was full.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. lordmarcovan

Nah.

19. ArbySea

ArbySea Well-Known Member

Congrats to the winners, and thanks to LordM for a fun contest and an interesting workplace tale. And whoa, so close on Prize C ; maybe next time.;)

20. lordmarcovan

All prizes have been shipped.

@Matthew Kruse has some additional trinkets riding along with Prize A (the gold token). He seems to share my disease enthusiasm for "holey" coins, so... ;)

@Neal changed his mind and instead of the Victorinus Roman coin, went for this 1798 US large cent. That was priced at $55, so he paid me $30 in addition to his $25 voucher.
    [​IMG]

@mrweaseluv went for the 1866/1866 Shield nickel with rays. It was priced at $57 so he paid me an additional $32 on top of his $25 voucher.
    [​IMG]

Now, I should mention something...

Doug is very clear in the rules for this, the Contests forum. In his "Read This !" sticky post at the top of this forum, he stated:
    So I do need to clarify a few points, just in case anyone is wondering.

1. These contests are, in fact totally free, and no one is required to pay anything. Shipping is always free, worldwide. Nobody is ever required to pay anything.

2. Since the prizes in this and many of my other contests are a credit voucher from my inventory (in this case, $25 each), the contestants who picked more valuable prizes voluntarily paid me to upgrade their prizes. They got what was promised: a $25 voucher plus free worldwide shipping. Anything additional paid to me on a voluntary basis was a private transaction entirely separate from the contest. I offer these credit vouchers to give folks some choices, so they can get a prize that might appeal more to them than if they had won something of my choice.

3. I seldom profit from these sales, and if I do make a modest profit from time to time, it is simply rolled back into more coins to keep these monthly giveaways going. Is my little vestpocket store a completely nonprofit venture? No, but more often than not, it's a "break even" proposition, or a slight loss, after stuff gets given away. That doesn't matter to me. It's all about the fun to me.

I just thought I should post this, in case the optics of me taking money from people didn't look right. Sure, I like to make a buck or two here and there like everybody else, but it's not my primary motivation, or I wouldn't give away $25-50 worth of stuff a month. That wouldn't be a very sustainable business model on my budget. (But hey, I'd rather give away that much in coins on a monthly basis than waste that much on cable TV or whatever.)

If anyone thinks that my occasionally taking money from contestants who want to upgrade their prizes above and beyond the $25 vouchers they won is a violation of the letter of the law, message me, and I suppose I'll have to change the way I do these contests. But if nobody objects, we can continue doing it this way.

21. lordmarcovan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.