[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #51 (pick your prize)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This contest is now CLOSED. The winner of the drawing was announced in Post #124.

LordM Giveaway #51 (pick your prize)

This giveaway is brought to you by Josie B., in her tree.
    [​IMG]

To enter this giveaway:

• State which one of the following coins you would like to have, and in a few words, describe what you like about it. That post will be your entry post. Additional conversational posts are fine, but will not increase your chances in the random drawing. You only get one entry post. (You may, however, enter the tandem giveaway over on Collectors Universe to double your chances, if you have a membership over there.)
    • Alternately, if none of the coins below are anything you want for yourself, you may designate another CoinTalk member to receive your prize instead. Just name that member rather than choosing a coin. Then if you do win, your chosen recipient will be able to pick whichever coin they want.
    The drawing will be done via random number generator sometime in early- to mid-January, 2021.

Entries from international members are welcome. As usual, there is no shipping charge nor any strings attached.

I hope you all have a happy new year.

Numismatic Regards,

~Robertson ("Rob") Shinnick ("LordM")

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Here are the prize selections. Sure, these are all inexpensive items, but I think I've provided a fun variety to choose from. Some of the cheaper prize lots ($10 and under) will come with added "mystery bonus items" to sweeten them up a little.

These coins are also listed in my swapstock inventory, so they are occasionally subject to prior sale. If the coin you wanted is not still available by the time of the drawing, you will of course be allowed to make another selection. And I'll try to occasionally add more to the list as others sell. (You can always change your mind after the drawing if you end up liking some new arrival more.)

(Note: some of the links lead to pages on CollectiveCoin, which can take several moments to load. Be patient, and they eventually should.)

#1. Seleucid Empire: bronze Æ13 of Antiochus IV, ca. 175-164 BC, struck at Ake-Ptolemais in Phoenicia
    [​IMG]

#2. Seleucid Empire: bronze Æ18 of Antiochus IX, ca. 116-96 BC; head of Eros

[​IMG]

#3. Roman Empire: bronze sestertius of Commodus, ca. 177-192 AD
    [​IMG]

#4. Roman Provincial (Antioch on the Orontes): bronze Æ20 of Elagabalus, ca. 218-222 AD

[​IMG]

#5. Roman Empire: bronze Æ3 of Constantine the Great, VOT XX in wreath, Siscia mint, ca. 306-337 AD
    [​IMG]

#6. Eastern Roman Empire: bronze Æ3 of Arcadius, ca. 395-408 AD; Antioch mint, Victory reverse
    [​IMG]

#7. China: cast bronze cash coin, Tang Dynasty, Anonymous Middle Type, ca. 718-732 AD
    [​IMG]

#8. Spain: "New World Pirate Era Bronze Nummis c.1400-1600 AD" [sic], in International Numismatic Bureau holder (*it's a 4-maravedis piece, likely 1600s. The holder is slightly nonsensical.)
    [​IMG]

#9. Spain: copper 2-maravedis of Ferdinand V of Aragon & Isabella I of Castile, ca. 1474-1504
    [​IMG]

#10. Hungary: silver “Madonna & Child” denar of Maximilian II, 1577-KB

[​IMG]

#11. Germany (Nuremberg): brass jeton (mathematical counter) of Hanns Krauwinckel II, ca. 1586-1635 (+ "mystery bonus" items)
    [​IMG]

#12. French States (Château-Renault): copper double-tournois of François de Bourbon, ca. 1603-1605
    [​IMG]

#13. France: brass jeton of Louis XIV, ca. 1643-1715; sun & clouds - [SOLD]
    [​IMG]

#14. Spain: silver 2-reales of Philip V, 1723-A, Madrid mint, with unknown scalloped rectangular counterstamp

[​IMG]

15. Belgium (Liège): silver double-escalin of Prince-Bishop Johann Theodor of Bavaria, 1753 (may be a contemporary counterfeit)
    [​IMG]

16. Mexico (Spanish Colonial): silver 2-reales of Charles III, 1788-Mo FM, Mexico City mint
    [​IMG]

17. United States, copper Braided Hair large cent, 1852
    [​IMG]

18. United States: silver Seated Liberty dime, 1857
    [​IMG]

19. United States: copper-nickel Indian Head cent, 1860, Type 2; Rounded Bust variety
    [​IMG]

(Prize listings continued in next post...)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Coin Obsessed and PlanoSteve like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    PlanoSteve, cmezner and impcaeaug like this.
  4. impcaeaug

impcaeaug Member

Here's my entry post. I would like to pick #3, the Roman Provincial of Commodus again even though that Austrian kreuzer is tempting. Because I like his bust and I don't have a coin of Commodus yet. Edit: Sestertius, not provincial, my bad.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

coinaline, impcaeaug and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

I don't think the Commodus is a provincial? It's pretty low grade, but hey, it's a sestertius.

I don't put grades in my descriptions, but the 1885 Austrian kreuzer is in my opinion UNC.

PS- they're fairly common coins, and have a modest value even in Mint State like this, but I am reasonably certain that's the original mint red. It's a nice piece.

impcaeaug likes this.
  7. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

#28 (100 coins) United States: Bronze Lincoln Wheat Cents
    My choice may seem strange to many here, but I like looking through "older" coins. Living in Spain, the oldest rolls you can get are 1999 onwards Euro cents, No character and very BORING.

coinaline, Railguy and lordmarcovan like this.
  9. lordmarcovan

They might be semi-expensive for me to ship to Spain, but I don't mind, since I've got practically nothing in them. (The extra "mystery bonus item" in your case would be free international shipping.)

If you looked at the additional pictures, you'll see I poured a few pieces out of each roll for a peek. The 1927 roll looked like pretty decent circs. One of the 1952 coins in the sample had a spot on the reverse, but there are obviously some higher grade pieces in there as well.

As mentioned in the description, I have not examined the contents of those rolls aside from the small samplings shown in the photos. There might be some clunkers in the mix, but who knows, maybe a pleasant surprise or two as well.

expat likes this.
  10. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Entry post. I'd pick #24. I just like imagining how many people used that coin and what did they buy with it.

coinaline, DEA and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. impcaeaug

impcaeaug Member

Ah, sorry for my mistake. Got it confused with something else. As for the Kreuzer, I like the iconography on the coin.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. Jeff Callahan

Jeff Callahan Active Member

I have been sitting here looking at all these amazing coins for, it seems like forever, lol. They are all a wonderful piece of history, each with its own story to tell. Having the chance to hold something in my hands from all those hundreds of years ago is so appealing, and imagining what all they have seen and been through over time can open your mind up to ponder the many untold challenges each one endured to survive to this point in time, centuries later. If I win, I would have to choose #28, the penny rolls. These are what I am into at this point in my journey of learning the art of numismatics. While it is very cool that some of these coins were created hundreds of years before the word "numismatics" was even defined, I am more interested in the importance of preserving the historical value and rarity of more current pieces. Plus, to be honest with you, I experience an incredible rush before opening a roll of coins with the expectation of there being something of numismatic merit, and then the pure excitement and the adrenalin that I experience when there is, makes me enjoy this hobby even more. So, thank you for the chance at yet another path for me to travel in my pursuit of that feeling and excitement. Good luck to everyone!!!

lordmarcovan and coinaline like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

Me too. Double-headed eagles are cool.

impcaeaug likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

Ah, good to hear. That was my reasoning for offering a wide selection. :)

Can’t swear there’ll be anything “of numismatic merit” in those Wheat cent rolls, but hey, it’s not impossible, I suppose. ;)

15. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

This is My Entry , I Chose # 5
    I love Ancient Coins , I have one in a jar on top of my fridge . I would like to add more. That's where you come in . ( Adam Sandler take off ) LOLOLOLO .

16. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

I know it will probably come across as strange, considering I only collect ancient coins, but I'd choose #37, the Ukrainian medal, because it's something both unusual and interesting, in my opinion, with the colored flag, the detailed designs and the subject matter that is depicted.

coinaline and lordmarcovan like this.
  17. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

coinaline and lordmarcovan like this.
  18. lordmarcovan

Doesn’t seem strange to me. Those were the exact reasons I bought it.

Plus, that angel on the reverse is nice. It looks better in hand. My pix made it a tad hazy looking, which it isn’t.

Claudius_Gothicus likes this.
  19. Thomas c

Thomas c Veni, vidi, vici, Julius Caesar

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. Exodus_gear

Exodus_gear Well-Known Member

#5 I've grown to enjoy collecting roman coins and this would be a beauty to add.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

lordmarcovan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.