[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #50 ("Not-So-Secret Saturnalia")

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Entry post.

All are nice coins with either interesting themes or patinas (or both). I would like to nominate @Curtisimo for all the amazing job he does for our community. It's well worth a nice gesture as this giveaway.

:) Q

Curtisimo, Alegandron, Ryro and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Entry Post..
    What a nice gesture LordM THANKS....I'd go for #13...
    I'm Still Victorinus-less and find this example quite pleasing with the ragged flan.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

#5. Greece (Mysia, Pergamon): bronze Æ15, ca. 2nd-1st centuries BC; Asklepios / Serpent staff
    Reminds me of the medical Caduceus

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

All of these coins are very nice, but the most interesting one, for me, is #5; it has both a great obverse and a fantastic and significative reverse.

ominus1 and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Entry post

Numero 18
    España ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Entry Post

Beautiful coins for the giveaway. My favourite is # 13 Victorinus, beautiful portrait of emperor.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

Entry Post
    I'm not really into old stuff, even though I'm 73 myself. So I'd ask you to give the value to a local charity. I've already done that with other money I've won this year. They need it more than me.

ominus1 likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

How 'bout you pick a CoinTalk member, instead. A local charity (at least the ones in my locality) would have no idea what to do with any of this stuff.

Alegandron and ominus1 like this.
  10. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

In other giveaways I believe you have talked about the value (typically $20 instead of the nominal $25), so that's why I said what I said. Whatever! So if not that, give it to the youngest poster.

ominus1 likes this.
  11. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Entry post

I would like to nominate @furryfrog02, i don't think FFivn is a member so i will entrust Sr to pass on the pick if i am chosen.

Thx for the opportunity M'Lord :nailbiting:

12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yes, we can nominate FurryFrog Junior as @AZSteve’s designated winner, too, then, since he (FF Jr.) is one of our youngest.

Ryro, tenbobbit and ominus1 like this.
  13. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Entry Post

I would choose #7 Widow's mite.

I am a beginner in ancients but what I like the most would be Roman Imperial (1st-2nd century mainly but also 3rd)
    But this doesn't mean I am not interested in other geographical and historical areas.
    I want to have at least 1 example of representative coins from other domains: 4th century, most popular emperors (checked); ancient Greece (checked); Byzantine (checked); byblical coin (not checked); Dacian coin, both before Roman conquest and Roman coins with Dacian symbols, after the conquest (not checked)

lordmarcovan and ominus1 like this.
  14. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Entry post.

Thanks so much, @lordmarcovan, for the fabulous giveaway and for all you do for us.

As one who collects Biblical coins, my favourite is #7.

Deacon Ray uses his widow’s mites to give to those who are struggling. My intention would be the same with this coin.

There’s an elderly lady I know who’s had an especially difficult year and I think she could use a lifting of spirits.

Thanks so much!

Erin

Alegandron, lordmarcovan and ominus1 like this.
  15. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...well....i've been in cointalk several years(2016) and am of the school of thought that's its better to give than to receive...(altho i have received too and its a great feeling:))..so if i win, i shall give it to one of the more deserving newer peeps

tenbobbit and lordmarcovan like this.
  16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Entry

Any.

I would designate to a new or young ancient collector. :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    lordmarcovan and ominus1 like this.
  17. Rudy1198

Rudy1198 Member

Very cool Giveaway!

If I were chosen, #20 is the most interesting to me. It hits all the buttons for coins of the time: the simplistic beauty of the design and heraldry, improved engraving and punch quality compared to the rest of the period, and the date itself, being struck under a dead emperor's name as you explain in your listing. Very interesting little piece!

All the best!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. Christina Pernock

Christina Pernock Active Member

Entry Post

#15. Eastern Roman Empire: bronze Æ3 of Arcadius, ca. 395-408 AD; Antioch mint, Victory reverse

I'm a byzantine/easter roman empire history buff! It's a passion of mine! I just started collecting byzantine coins this year and i don't have an arcadius, so this seems like a good chance! Have a great holiday season!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. jamor1960

jamor1960 The More I learn, the Less I know....

I like #5!
    The Caduceus really appealed to me for some reason.
    :cool:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Very cool Saturnalia giveaway @lordmarcovan, I will enter on behalf of FFIVN since he does not have his own CT account (he's only 9) and he is currently laid out on the couch not feeling well. I asked which he liked and he said he thinks the Spanish "Pirate era" nummis is pretty neat. Thank you @tenbobbit, for thinking of him.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Were I to win, I would choose Coin #2. I like coins from the margins of the 'classical' world because they remind me of the fundamental unity of humanity and show the scope of cultural encounters!

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted