[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #49 (instant giveaway)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Nov 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This contest is now CLOSED.

Answer this trivia question to win a coin in this, our latest instant giveaway:

This person was a politician and painter, soldier and statesman. His life and career spanned generations, from the Victorian era to the the Space Age.

Who was he? Be the first to answer, and you'll win an Uncirculated commemorative coin with his image on it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Dwight D. Eisenhower

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

This is a good alternate answer.

Ike's life (though not necessarily his career) spanned from the Victorian Era to the Space Age, and he was both politician and painter as well as soldier and statesman. For that reason, I'm going to send you one of the commemorative coins I mentioned as the prize.

It is not, however, an Eisenhower dollar, as Eisenhower is not actually the answer I had in mind.

It is someone else.

So, @JayAg47, you will win one of these commemoratives mentioned- with the other guy's image on it (to be revealed).

The first person to name the historical figure I actually had in mind will win one as well. (I have multiples- in fact, I just bought a box of 100 of them!)

5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Winston Churchill

6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Wow . Nice ! "Early Bird gets the worm"

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

And this is the right answer. Sir Winston Churchill is the answer I was looking for.

@expat wins an Uncirculated 1965 Great Britain "Churchill" crown.

And this wraps up another short "instant giveaway". There will be another soon. And of course the regular monthly "pick your prize" giveaway for November (Giveaway #48) has just been launched and will be open for entries all month.

8. SensibleSal66

Wow Nice Coin, but why does he look so grumpy ?

9. lordmarcovan

@expat- the 100-coin lot of Churchill crowns I bought are coming in the mail, so I have to wait for them to arrive just yet. I'll pick you the nicest one I can find. They won't be in the Royal Mint packaging, but the friend I bought them from said there were plenty of UNCs. He was a bit of a hoarder of Churchill crowns, having tried for years to "make" an MS66 at PCGS. I don't know if he ever succeeded in that venture. They're found in MS65, but true Gem quality pieces must be rare. He was offering a reward for anyone who could sell him a piece that would go 66, but I don't think he ever achieved that. I suspect the best UNCs in this lot will likely be around MS63 quality or so.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Because that was his whole bulldoggish look. The guy did help beat Hitler, after all, and they were going it alone for a while before the US and Canadians and Soviets came in to help.

He was a man of many contradictions and faults, but a symbol of tenacity and defiance. And that's why he looks like a grumpy bulldog on the coin. That's how the British like to remember him, I suspect.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

@JayAg47 will be getting an Eisenhower dollar for his also-correct answer. As an Australian, he was less impressed at the prospect of a Churchill crown, and thought he was about to win an Ike dollar. So I decided to make that happen.

Mike Davis and JayAg47 like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

Random side note: with a Churchill crown, you can win a coin toss every time, as long as you call "heads!" while the coin is still in the air. ;)

Heavymetal and ZoidMeister like this.
  13. SensibleSal66

14. lordmarcovan

What are you "?" about, @SensibleSal66?

The coin toss comment? Go back to the Numista link and take a look at the Churchill crown again.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  15. SensibleSal66

I see said the Blind Man to grasshopper. " Do Not follow the vind for the vind has no direction"

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

@lordmarcovan thankyou very much. I have just got home from work, half day as it is a holiday today here in Spain. Don't worry about how long it takes, I look forward to receiving it. Shall I pm you my postal address?

17. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

The two sides of the Churchill Crown IMG_4393 (2).JPG IMG_4394 (2).JPG

18. SensibleSal66

Nice Coin !

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

Yes, do.

20. chuck123

chuck123 Active Member

I liked the old dry wit of the cigar smoking curmudgeon

lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Nice on all counts, I knew the answer but way to late to post it lol I've got that Churchill crown as well :D

lordmarcovan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.