[CLOSED] LordM Giveaway #41 (pick your prize)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Jul 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Entry post .Franklin 1/2 is my pick. A beautiful coin.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Entry Post - that Columbian Expo commemorative caught my eye - never had one, would be a neat coin to have ;)
    77_300x300_Front_Color-NA.jpg

lordmarcovan and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  4. Aunduril

Aunduril Well-Known Member

Entry Post:

A coin from the dark side
    [​IMG]

5. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Entry post.
    Thanks lots for this!
    This is fun. I'm still new to the forum, and have been too lazy to submit a separate post. Appreciate the opportunity, never mind (for half a second) the element of motivation!
    I've got to pick the John penny (Walter On Lunde) from (Hang On One Minute) the Gisors Hoard. The castle of Gisors is pretty great. Here's the English Wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Château_de_Gisors
    Right, on to the coin-relatied stuff. The pictures start with a denier of Charles II /the Bald from Bayeux, minted c. 864-875 (Depeyrot, 3rd ed., 2008, #127).
    The next one was found on French ebay, underattributed enough to get cheap.
    That one is an immobilization of the Carolingian issue of Bayeux, which Dumas attributes to Richard I, "duke" of Normandy (really count, this early), c. mid-10th century. (Tresor de Fecamp, pp. 104-5, and Plate VI. ...And, Oh Happy Day, the machine isn't cooperating with uploading that.) This looks to me like a very close die match to example 6047 on the plate.
    Anyway, the primary "tell," where the immobilizations versus the originals is concerned, is the relatively moderate level of blundering of the mint signature. In typically fraught medieval Latin, especially for place names, the Carolingian legend goes: "HBAIOCAS CIVITAS." In the immobilizations, it ubiquitously starts: "IAI+CASH CITAS." (There's blundering of the obverse, too, but it's less consistent.)
    ...Well, Okay. The last picture is me, age 11, on the one trip I ever took to Europe, in 1973. Sorry for the hair; Promise, the resemblance to David Bowie was Not intentional. ...The family were mostly sponging off of relatives and camping. Sorry; no, didn't get to Gisors.
    ...Is it time to shut up, or what? This was fun, though. (...The machine notwithstanding. Y'know how you shouldn't argue with people who are stupider than you, because you'll never win? Well, with a computer, it's the same principle, just magnified on a geometric scale.)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. +VGO.DVCKS

...Takes some of us longer. I saw "ROTATION" in big letters, and thought it might be a kind of visual metaphor for what you're doing here!
    ...What you get from an English major, still awaiting rehabilitation.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Entry post

Attached Files:

8. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Entry Post
    upload_2020-7-7_0-31-26.png
    My birth year.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It seems you were apparently looking at my personal collection somehow, not the giveaway Pick Bin, which is linked to in the original post. I'm not so keen to give away my ex-Gisors Hoard King John penny anytime soon! ;)

Neat pix, though- and thanks for the Wiki link about the Château de Gisors, which I somehow neglected to include in my writeup. (Also for reminding me to stick Walter the Moneyer's name in there, which I had also neglected to do.)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  10. +VGO.DVCKS

...Thanks for all of that.
    And, Yikes, I think I got to your collection by clicking on your link, and then clicking on something that Looked right from there. Not sure. Except, I had trouble with the frankly insane coins you were giving away, only most especially after your self-characterization as being from a working class (we got some Class up in this house) background. Thank you, that adds that many points to your already impressive permanent collection. Anyway, Yeah, embarrassing.
    Kindly allow me to put in for your antoninianus of Victorinus. First ancient I ever got was one of them. ("Providentia" reverse. Wish I still had it.)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

No worries. Victorinus it shall be, then, if you win the drawing, unless you want to change your mind later. I will likely add more stuff to the Pick Bin throughout the month, though probably not many more ancients.

12. +VGO.DVCKS

Shoot. Thanks for all of that.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. Millard

Millard Coindog

Entry Post.
    I'd pick the Franklin Half (birthyear), or maybe one of the Barber halves (because I don't have one). But the Roman coins would be nice too....no...no...wait, the Nickel, definitely the proof nickel...but that steel cent is sweet....ohhh my head hurts..hmmm.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. ArbySea

ArbySea Well-Known Member

Entry post

If I win, I will be primarily looking for a type of US coin I don’t currently have.

One of my sons had a brilliant idea. His workplace gets quite a bit of coinage that they then have to roll and get to the bank. It turns out that his boss is very happy to just trade the coins for greenbacks. So, I gave my son a wad of bills that he uses for the swap, and then he stores the coins in old food take-out containers until he can come visit. I am happy because I get to see him AND start going through coins again. The only problem I have discovered is that after going through one of the containers, I have a craving for Chinese food. :hungry:
    newcoins.jpg
    P.S. Thanks again for hosting such giveaways; I think they are great fun.

15. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

Entry Post.

Thought I would post a photo of a Hobo Nickel. Brave Indian Hobo Nickel (1).jpg

Cheech9712, Wizank and lordmarcovan like this.
  16. weldor

weldor Member

Entry post. The 1943-d steel cent.
    I was the lucky winner of the two 2020-w quarters from Beardigger. I am going to add a note of the time, place and how I got em. I think the US Mint did it right by releasing them into circulation only.
    Hats off to everyone that tosses something in the hat.
    Here is a little guy I got in change the other day.

20200707_173856.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2020
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. lordmarcovan

LOL. I'm glad the choice is challenging. l must be doin' something right. You have all month to think about it. I'll try to add some more goodies to the selection when I can.

18. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Entry Post. This is a very exciting group of potential prizes. My current first choice would be the Peruvian 1/2 sol. But my eye went to the Austrian silver also. Hmmmm, so many good choices.

Attached Files:

19. lordmarcovan

As it happens, that 1915 Peruvian 1/2 sol just went out to @goossen in Germany, via this morning's mail. He just chose it for his pick when he won the first drawing for Giveaway #40. But not to worry- there will be more goodies by the end of the month. And that Austrian Maria Theresia thaler is really flashy! Sure, it's the modern restrike, but it's a nice big piece of BU silver.

goossen and Wizank like this.
  20. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Entry post.

any of the Seated or Barber coins. E3BA201F-7DB9-492E-B274-12D85C8AEE01.jpeg

lordmarcovan and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  21. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Entry Post
    I saw this coin meme recently.
    5284B130-F5B9-4B97-BEAA-03D19351EBDC.jpeg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.