[CLOSED] LordM & Friends CoinTalk Giveaway #38

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, May 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Hey, Chip, you just came in after the party ended! We're just sweeping up the confetti now.

Giveaway #40 is up now, though. Just click on the cat picture above. Or the link in my signature line. Or here.
    It's like @masterswimmer says below. For all I know, you're right, and the USPS ignores it, but I pay extra postage for the "rigid" letter rate, so hopefully "nonmachinable" is presumed. I dunno.

I do notice that old-school auctioneer Frank S. Robinson puts this on his coin shipments. He also uses an "FSR Metalworks" return address, presumably as a smokescreen to imply - but not declare - that small gears and washers and such are being shipped. Clever. Camouflage, but not a lie.

I use card stock inside the envelopes so they are more rigid but not as thick or inflexible as a corrugated safety mailer. This means they will still flex a bit and hopefully still make it through if they go into sorting machinery. The small 2"x3" inner manila envelope holding the coin is taped so it is dead center in the middle of the packaging as it rides along, well clear of the bottom or outer edges of the mailing envelope.

With even a 1-ounce item costing nearly four bucks to ship as a package nowadays, I will use the "letter" rate any time I can get away with it, but do take some basic precautions. Of course for more expensive stuff that needs tracking or insurance, I go with a bubble mailer at the package rate.
    1pgnu6.gif

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the prize! May God bless you richly!

lordmarcovan and thomas mozzillo like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Thank you. Though I still whine and complain occasionally, I must say that He has.

@Neal has chosen the coin below, and it has been shipped. His rationale for the choice was interesting to me, since he mentioned a tie-in to biblical history that I was unaware of.
    Nabatean Kingdom:bronze Æ15 of Aretas IV & Shuqailat; twin busts/crossed cornucopias, struck at Petra ca. 9 BC-40 AD
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the feedback, @Neal, and I hope you enjoy the coin.

Neal and thomas mozzillo like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

Sorry, @greed ball - I overlooked your post there for a little while. That will be fine. Make your selection from the Pick Bin. I will send you a message, so you should see a little red indicator at the top right of the page where it says "inbox". You can reply to the message there just as you would a post on the forums, but it will be private communication.

Untitled.png

Speaking of privacy, I edited out the email address* you posted, due to forum rules about that sort of thing. We do things by PM (private messaging) here on the forums, so watch that "Inbox" indicator at the top right of your page, and if you don't see a red notice there from me messaging you, let me know by posting here again.

(*I was going to email you too, but accidentally lost your email address off my clipboard after I edited it out of your post.)

Oh, and just in case you or anybody else needs to know, here is how you start a private message conversation with someone. Just click the "Inbox" tab at the top right of the screen and down at the bottom of the drop-down menu, you will see a place where it says "Start a New Conversation". That's where that is. It took me a few tries to find it myself, when I was a newb here. Any of y'all who didn't know how to do this can feel free to send me a test message and try it out.

Untitled.png

Also, @Chris B will be sending me the currency note you would have otherwise won for Prize #3. That too was a "winner's choice" prize, so since we are swapping out prizes and that will be going to me now, I chose the Stalin "Hell" note, which @Chris B will send to me. I will later add it to the Pick Bin so it might become a prize option for someone else down the road! I just think it's interesting. Thank you, @Chris B!

~RWS/"LM"

[​IMG]

Chris B likes this.
  6. lordmarcovan

@greed ball's prize has been shipped. And @Chris B is sending me that Stalin "Hell" currency note. It will go into the Pick Bin as a possible future prize for someone else, down the road.

@greed ball chose this coin as his prize. Nice choice. I hear he also just won $100 in the lottery, too. Since things happen in threes sometimes, maybe he's due for one more lucky lick before it turns and he has go hide in a cave somewhere! (j/k) ;)

Greece (Thrace, Mesembria): bronze Æ22, ca. 2nd century BC; Athena Promachos
    [​IMG]

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  7. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

The coin arrived today! Thanks again. By the way, just today I discovered another Biblical connection. Herod Antipas had John the Baptist beheaded, at the request of his wife Herodias, through her daughter, because John had condemned the unlawful marriage to Herodias. In order to marry Herodias, Herod had divorced his first wife, the daughter of Aretas IV.

Also, thanks for the bonus! That was very kind of you!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Thanks for the feedback. Seeing folks happy makes the giveaways worthwhile, if that doesn't sound corny.

Kentucky, Neal, Chris B and 1 other person like this.
  9. greed ball

greed ball Active Member

Thanks ,My coin arrived today and it looks much better in hand. This is the oldest coin in my whole collection. I will use it to enter contest #40 if I can only get out of this cave. :bigtears:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Thanks for letting me know, @greed ball. It was the oldest coin in my Pick Bin stock, too. Neat coin- not as tiny as some ancient Greek bronzes.

Edit to add- I had forgotten about the cave joke I cracked earlier. LOL- well played! :p

11. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

My apologies for not posting on this thread instead of a PM but Prize # 1 arrived safe and sound a few days after @lordmarcovan mailed it. I remain very grateful to LordM & friends for their generosity. Here's a photo:
    upload_2020-6-17_2-8-31.png

This is special to me and will go in the "Never to be sold" part of my collection.

lordmarcovan, PlanoSteve and Chris B like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.