[CLOSED] LordM & Friends Coin Giveaway, June, 2019

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, May 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I have all the base metal coins excluding the 2 Sen pieces and the 1932 5 Sen although I still lack most of the silver coins from the Meiji and Taisho eras. However, in the case of the trade dollar, I intend to fill that slot with a well chopmarked 1-Yen coin.

Bayern likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Sounds like fun. I know relatively little about Japanese coins and still can't yet even read date numerals without consulting a chart, but I like them. And a Dansco type set album is always fun.

I do have two Meiji pieces in my Eclectic Box collection:

(Bet the Dansco doesn't have slots for all the rectangular and ovoid Japanese coins, huh? LOL)

Japan (Meiji Era): silver and gold Nibu-Kin (2 bu), undated, ca. 1868-1869
    [​IMG]
    PCGS AU55; population 109 with 63 higher as of 5/20/2019.

Japan: silver yen of the Emperor Meiji, Year 27 (1894)
    [​IMG]
    PCGS AU58; population 68 with 222 higher as of 5/20/2019.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I will mail out my donated coin to the winner.

Autoturf and lordmarcovan like this.
  5. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

Entry Post

Thought I would share a photo of a neat error Lincoln cent from an Ebay auction. Error.jpg

Gold?
    I like the Saint-Gaudens $20 gold piece design, but I've never owned one.

My Choices:

Thanks for the contest!

6. Bradley Trotter

Beautiful pieces I particular enjoy the stylized floral arrangements on Japanese coins. The album starts in Year 3 (1870) with the sunburst type coins and ends with the 1970 Osaka Expo 100 Yen piece on page 5.

7. lordmarcovan

Neat off-center cent. Wheat, or Memorial? Looks like a ca. 1969-ish Memorial, from the portrait.

If you clicked the link for Prize #3, you will have noted that there are some slabbed US errors in that list of goodies. I thought the 1945 cent with a straight clip was especially neat, so I bought it with this giveaway in mind.

Theodosius likes this.
  8. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Entry post

Joke: Why don't you see elephants hiding up in trees? (I'll share the answer later)

Never owned a gold coin yet...

2, 1, 4, 5, 3

Thanks, LM & Friends!!

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Bayern, Theodosius and lordmarcovan like this.
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Entry Post (for FF Junior)

I am 8 years old and I have never owned a gold coin. The only gold coins I have are a gold plated half dollar and Ike dollar. I have real gold and silver flakes in bottles that my dad got when he was a kid.
    I have a great Indian Head Cent that I got at the Baltimore coin show at the kid's corner. It is from 1881. It is red/brown and the reverse is a little bit toned.
    1881 IHC.jpg

Here is a funny coin joke:
    Did you hear about the man that swallowed a coin? No change yet. :)

My picks are 2, 1, 3, 4, 5

Bayern, Theodosius, Kasia and 5 others like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Wow, FF Jr., that is a seriously nice Indian cent for a young collector! I got my first when I was 10 or 11. It was the most common date (1907), in very a common low grade (VG or so). But I cherished it and took it to school to show my friends.

Bayern likes this.
  11. furryfrog02

From FFJr:
    Thank you. My dad keeps it in our safe so I don't lose it. I want to show it to people but I don't want to lose it either.

12. Bradley Trotter

Here it is I've sourced the coins for this exclusively from foreign boxes except for my 1923 50 Sen and 1898 1 Sen I'll be receiving in the mail from eBay. However, I'm well aware of the difficulty of some coins which should make this an excellent long term project.
    Page 1

7460 1.JPG

Page 2

7460 2.JPG

Page 3

7460 3.JPG

Page 4

7460 4.JPG

Page 5

7460 5.JPG

13. lordmarcovan

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that. It looks like a really fun album. I like the idea of filling an album mostly with bulk cherrypicking finds. It's challenging, but cheaper, no doubt.

PS- I just was given a bulk lot of Canadian in a small old coin bank, which slightly resembles your avatar picture in some regards. Haven't gone through it yet. It's most if not all 20th century, but there are a few large cents and a couple of silver dollars and such. No Victorian coins that I can recall seeing.

14. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

18514BDD-58FE-4834-8051-95149A127E9E.jpeg E58D4A4A-AC7B-4AD5-97A1-07E5A9E6DC9E.jpeg Entry post First gold coin was a wedding gift from my brother. 2 coins,1/20 oz ea. Made by the infamous Conrad Braun,Gold Standard Corporation. He hoped to have them become circulated for commerce. Mine have never been out of the sealed plastic until now

15. lordmarcovan

Wondered what your avatar was until now.

Don't forget to specify the order of your prize preferences.

16. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

OK 123456789 haha My avatar is the 1/2 oz gold piece. My 1 oz Platinum piece is quite rare

17. lordmarcovan

Umm, there are only 5 prizes. Seriously.

18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

avatar36_2.gif.jpg 1911 $ 5 gold .....6 color enamelled coin.

Bayern and furryfrog02 like this.
  19. furryfrog02

Not sure how I feel about this. Love it because it is a $5 Indian...not sure about the enameling though.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

I too have mixed feelings. That is garish and yet kinda cool at the same time.

21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I told you about this coin if you recall matched pair cuff links both were 1911 D's the 2.5 I purchased for a friend I wish I had kept the prettiest I've seen done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.