[CLOSED] LordM & Friends Coin Giveaway, April, 2019

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Apr 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

@Wal888 I have 3 cats 1 grey and white tabby and 2 black cats that adopted me from outside. Your cat Hannah looks a lot like my cat Max but lighter color.

Bayern, Wal888 and Noah Finney like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's a medal. Were it a coin, it would have a monetary denomination on it (Marks, Euros, whatever.)

The medal features King Ludwig II of Bavaria, sometimes referred to as "Mad King Ludwig". He spent his personal fortune on extravagant fairytale castles, and lived a fascinating if somewhat tragic life, dying under suspicious circumstances.

Those castles and palaces, including the famous Neuschwanstein, are featured on your medal. Though these projects were controversial at the time of their construction in the 19th century, the "mad" king left a rich architectural legacy and those places are top German tourist destinations today. So hats off to Mad King Ludwig for that, at least!

Your medal is modern, from the late 20th or early 21st century. I assume the "999EM" means it is .999 silver.

Nice medal. But Pantufa is even more impressive. That's what Ladymarcovan would refer to as a "wampus". :cat:

Bayern, Stevearino and Wal888 like this.
  4. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Oh, cool!!!! My two cats are wonderful. They think they own us, especially Hannah. She can gets all with her aching meow.

lordmarcovan and Bayern like this.
  5. Wal888

Wal888 Well-Known Member

Thank you @lordmarcovan for your information about history of my medal. Wow!
    And, about my cat UFA, Yes! she is enormous and weight about 8Kg.

lordmarcovan and Bayern like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

She's a beauty. :cat:

Bayern likes this.
  7. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Entry Post

I recently received in the mail a coin set called the 1999 Millennium Coin Series. It was sponsored by Sunoco, the Sun Oil Company. It has 10 brass coins, each depicting a different important moment in the history of the past millennium.

1) Columbus discovers America. ( We now know Columbus was not the first. He just had the best promotional team. :D;) )
    2) Declaration of Independence
    3) Signing of the U.S. Constitution
    4) Emancipation Proclamation ( Probably the U.S. most important document after the two above. )
    5) First Telephone ( It gives A.G. Bell the credit, but an Italian guy named Marconi was actually the first to invent a working telephone. )
    6) First automobile ( The date given on the coin is 1893 which corresponds with a gasoline powered car built by the Duryea Brothers in the U.S., however a gasoline powered car was built by Karl Benz in 1886, and electric and steam powered vehicles were built even before that. )
    7) Wright Brothers first flight ( I'm glad the coin doesn't say they invented the airplane. )
    8) American Women's Right to Vote
    9) Man's First Moon Landing
    10) The Third Millennium ( It reminds us the Future is here. )

Perhaps this set should have been named " Important Moments in America's Millennium ".

lordmarcovan likes this.
  8. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

Entry post.

Two Arabic-script coins I find especially beautiful:
    ma134720francso.jpg ma134720francsr.jpg eg1968poundo.jpg eg1968poundr.jpg
    3-1-4-5-2-6

9. Ima Dragon

Ima Dragon Year of the Dragon

"entry post" ,
    This is Fun ! Thanks !
    I just ordered a 2016 W Gold Mercury Dime in OGP & COA , a Beautiful design . Next up a 2016 W Gold Standing Liberty Quarter . I just love the designs .

Bayern, lordmarcovan and Kasia like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

The May giveaway has now launched, a day early. Click on Clyde the Kitten (recently renamed and formerly known as "Queso"), or Reese the Guinea Pig, to go to that thread. :)

[​IMG]

Bayern, Wal888 and Kasia like this.
  11. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

Entry post Entry post Entry post
    I'm loving the COIN THANG aND the cat thing. I'm still collecting, basically because I'm too stubborn and too dumb to quit! We'll discuss what really great valuable coins I have after I've won.
    MAN was that herring bone floor trippy!!!! By the looks of it, it'll take about 40 gallons of floor sealer x 3 coats to totally protect it. Loved the way it looked like it had highs and lows to it.!
    And here's a pic of MY last kitty kat I had named Daisy. She was a Savanna. I miss her terribly. :sorry:

20150309_183550.jpg
    Oh yes,,,,,,, # 3, 4,5,6,1 & 2

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  12. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

entry post...

1942915355757.jpg 19429153622201.jpg

Stevearino, Tlberg, Bayern and 6 others like this.
  13. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Stevearino and lordmarcovan like this.
  14. Railguy

Railguy Well-Known Member

Entry Post. 5.1.3.6.4.2. 20190430_091056_HDR.jpg 20190430_091711_HDR.jpg

Stevearino, Bayern and lordmarcovan like this.
  15. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

yes i have the second but have not seen the third..

16. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Here it is... Best one so far I think!
    [​IMG]

Railguy, Tlberg, spirityoda and 5 others like this.
  17. Larry jerome

Larry jerome New Member

Entry post. 3,2,5,4,1,6. I am a virtual computer illiterate. I would post pictures however I do not know how to do so. So I will move my flip phone {Yes I still have a flip phone} and bore you with how I became interested in coins. I was 7 years old and as I was looking down I spotted a little speck of blue. I knew this was probably a good sign so I dropped down and started digging away with my fingers at the grass and dirt. What I found was a "penny" [sorry that is what I knew it as then}. What I did, not knowing any better was run to the sink and start washing away. Under all the dirt and blue was an Indian head cent. I was thrilled beyond imagination. Never could make out the date it was 189?. I kept this penny until my first ex-wife stole my whole collection and sold it to a "friend" for waaaaay less than it was worth. I had close to 800 1964 Kennedy half dollars. I had them stacked on top of each other in cigar boxes. Live and learn. I know enough about how to care for coins now. And keep your wife away from anything you treasure.

Stevearino, Hookman, Bayern and 2 others like this.
  18. lordmarcovan

If anyone else wants in on this one, there's only about an hour left to the deadline. I'll likely do the prize drawings sometime in the wee hours of the morning, after I'm caught up at work.

As previously mentioned, the May giveaway is already launched, so if you miss out on this one, there's always the next one.

19. lordmarcovan

Thanks for the story.

20. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

Entry post~ 1,4,3,6,2. The coin in my avatar is this: Kingdom of Castile and Leon (Spanish States), 1 Noven, Enrique II. Mintage years: 1368-1379, Burgos mint. Purchased middle of last year.

lordmarcovan and Kasia like this.
  21. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

Obverse and reverse of the 1 Noven~ 8264720A-65C9-4CB8-8575-40C9BA0CA0DD.jpeg 24F629C6-24C0-4FAB-BF0F-C2EF69F6DA4C.jpeg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.