[CLOSED] LordM custom elongated coins giveaway

Discussion in 'Contests' started by lordmarcovan, Sep 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Contest is now CLOSED. Winners announced Post #38.

Random drawings at the end of the month. I'm giving away two of these sets here on CoinTalk. There are drawings on Collectors Universe as well.

All you've gotta do is post the words "entry post", and you're entered. Post whatever else of numismatic interest that you like.

(You may post multiple times for discussion purposes, but only one "entry post" per member, please.)

Don't forget to enter the regular monthly giveaway, too, if you are so inclined (see link in my signature line).

Each set consists of (3) of my 2019 custom elongated coins:

(1) on 1920s-1940s silver Mercury dime (one of 100 pieces produced). These were all rolled with the obverse of the host coin showing on the back. Usually the details are fairly visible, and in most (though maybe not all) cases, the host coin date is visible. Usually this will mean the 1940s, though there were some 1920s and 1930s coins in the source lot as well. Silver dimes, let alone Mercury dimes, are very seldom seen as host coins for elongates, so hopefully these will prove popular.

(1) on 1950s Wheat cent, unholed (one of 200 pieces produced). Most though not all coins have the wheat ears of the host coin visible on the back, but a few have the host coin obverse showing, and therefore a readable date in some cases.

(1) on 1950s Wheat cent, holed (one of 200 pieces produced). As above, but holed for keychain or jewelry use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coins for these 3-piece sets will be randomly selected and pre-sealed in the envelopes shown, so at present I am not offering to pick certain host coin dates.

The dies for these elongated coins were made for me and rolled out by Cindy Calhoun, the president of TEC (The Elongated Collectors), at elongatedpenny.net.

The design is based on the Scottish clan badge for the Clan Robertson (my maternal family line, from which my first name is derived).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Entry Post

My 3 y/o grandson is 'mysteriously' accumulating a larger coin collection than his pop pop :)
    The kids already got a more extensive investment portfolio than I did when I graduated from college. Hopefully that'll leave some kind of legacy for him.

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Entry Post

Like @masterswimmer i have me a budding six year old numismatist. He calls wheat cents “seed corns”. I love that. Sometimes you just wish they could stay young and cute.

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Entry Post. Thank you for all that you do here at coin talk.

20180831_221033.jpg 20180831_221022.jpg

6. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Entry post, Cool set!
    258ED79D-969C-404E-9DF6-4692321EB1C7.jpeg 434D5F8E-B806-43D2-B57C-F4F077B803EA.jpeg

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

alurid likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Cool! Thanks for the tip. I had never seen an oval 2x2 before, and didn't know such a thing existed! I'll have to get some next time I do a Wizard order. Right now those 3-coin sets are shipping with the coins loose in those little envelopes shown above.

Seen 2x2s with a square window before (usually in old 1960s accumulations I've acquired- and they're sometimes blue or green), but never an oval. Neat.

I'll bet they would work. Wouldn't be surprised if they were made with elongated coins in mind.

Edit- the photos show an elongated cent in one, so there ya go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I didn't go past the first page.
    DOH!.jpg

Thanks!
    Chris

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Neither did I, at first glance.

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Entry Post

My latest elongated Cent
    Blackbird.. Intrepid museum visit 9-21-19

20190921_202836(1).jpg 20190921_154454.jpg 20190921_154446.jpg

12. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

lordmarcovan and paddyman98 like this.
  13. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Entry Post.
    Thanks, Rob. Neat idea.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  14. Entry Post, I also have some young budding numismatist grandsons. They are 10 and 6, and have been to the last two Summer Fun Shows. The 10 year old is also an ANA member. Thanks for all you do here. Steve.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. chuckylucky5

chuckylucky5 Well-Known Member

Entry Post
    E Cent 2006.jpg

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. Entry Post

Thank you sir! My 6 year old son has been increasingly more interested in coins as the days go by. Anywhere we go that has the oval souvenir coins we have to get one(or more!) for his collection! He will definitely love these!

Screenshot_2019-09-24-11-52-53-1.png

lordmarcovan likes this.
  17. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Entry Post.

Wow, that is the coolest idea ever!!! I may have to consider doing something like that! :happy:;):singing::cigar:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Entry Post. never saw dime elongated before. More fun!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  19. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Entry post

Thank you kindly for the contest, Rob!

One from the herd:

1916 buff.jpg

20. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Entry Post....gimme, gimme, gimme. Lol.
    They are cool, and am able to trace the lineage. :D
    Currently lovin on classic US coins.

PS, I know you work nights, but Moonlight Mint is trademarked, sorry. ;)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  21. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.