[CLOSED] Joshua Lemons Contest #2 "Autumn Extravaganza"

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Joshua Lemons, Oct 12, 2022.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Autumn is my favorite season and is descending rapidly here in Kentucky. Some of my favorite things, the cool air, bonfires, chili... the list goes on and on. Many of my best memories revolve around pumpkins. Picking out the perfect one to carve at a local pumpkin patch, homemade pumpkin pie, etc. So, in honor of the fruit of the season, all three prizes are pumpkin related!

Rules are simple as before.
    1. Type entry post in your first post only. You can reply as much as you'd like, but please only one entry post.
    2. You can use your one and only entry post to choose a YN as the benefactor.
    3. Please have 10+ coin related posts here on Cointalk.
    4. Tell us your favorite season and why or share an Autumn (or other season) inspired numismatic piece. (Edited for clarity)

I'll compile a list of entry posts in the order in which they are posted and randomly chose winners from that list so as to not draw non-entry posts.

The contest will remain open until 11:59 PM CST on October 30, 2022 with the drawing being held on Halloween! If I work that night, it'll be quite early, around 2AM.

Enough with the formalities...

Prize #1

A 1/4 ounce silver Australian Year of the Mouse coin. A limited mintage of 10,000 pieces.
    Polish_20221012_155257320.png Polish_20221012_155313704.png

Prize #2

Peanuts colorized U.S. half dollar depicting one of my favorite holiday specials!
    Polish_20221012_155334880.png

Prize #3

Two Knott's Berry Farms elongated cents.
    Polish_20221012_155403685.png

Thank you all for making these contests fun!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Entry post,probably December even though it feels like the desert still also the gifts and giving,thanks. Screenshot_20220923-195259_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20220923-195308_Photos.jpg

dwhiz, expat, Paddy54 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Entry Post

I like winter because its a nice break and its a good time to see family/friends.
    Thanks for the giveaway!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tibor, dwhiz, expat and 2 others like this.
  5. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Entry Post
    Sorry, Fall is too short for me, and it screams Winter is coming. We have 4 definite seasons here where I live in PA. Outside the leaves on the trees are all changing colors now but they'll be gone quite soon. The weather is great but frost is coming. Winter is long, short days, too many clothes to wear, heating bills. But Christmas is coming and I was a good boy.

A BIG 90 mm heavy bronze medal here.
    1974 Natal - Three Kings by Cabral Antunes

1974ThreeKingsGallery.jpg

Since I was a little kid, there was always a Christmas card that was tacked above the door that everyone came and went through at our house. It was always the first Three Kings card that showed up in the mail that year. Not the favorite, but the first. It stayed there all year until the next year's Christmas cards started to arrive.
    It was supposed to bring good luck.
    I kind of changed the tradition, I stopped taking the old ones down and, well, for the most part, things have gone very good for us overall.
    At our old house we had 20 or more up and then we put on an addition and our front door moved. I put all those in the wall above the old door location and they were dry-walled over. Then there were maybe 6 or 8 new ones above the new door until we moved.
    I left them there for the new owners. I told them it worked for us.

A couple times we had to mail ourselves one. But never missed doing this each year.
    Now we have 8 up there since we have moved to our new house. Life has been good.

The Three Kings and the story of the Nativity are special to me.

lordmarcovan, green18, dwhiz and 3 others like this.
  6. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

Question:

In #4 you wrote:

"4. Tell us your favorite season, what you like about it or share an Autumn inspired numismatic piece."

It wasn't clear if you want us to also post a coin or if that wasn't necessary.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. Joshua Lemons

You don't have to post a coin, you can just tell us your favorite season and what you like about it or post a relevant coin or both. In fact, I will not give out demerits for non seasonal coins either! I just thought a discussion part would be needed as there aren't a ton of seasonal coins. But Canada has some great coins inspired by the seasons.

Good Cents, expat and Cheech9712 like this.
  8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Entry post Spring is my favorite time of year...why.... I was born in April
    Thank you Joshua for the contest, should I be picked I will assign the prize to a YN member of the forum.

This is for Randy Abercrombie to help your OCD ;) 1871 MERICA.jpg 1871 III TDR.jpg 1875 III MPD 301.jpg
    Flag of the 1 is in her neck.....talk about a hicky...eww.

Randy Abercrombie, dwhiz and expat like this.
  9. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

Entry Post
    Thanks for the contest, I agree that fall is one of the prettiest seasons of them all. I actually like when it cools down. Only problem I have with fall is that school starts up. I might like winter more, though, since I live in Minnesota we get so much snow. Shoveling it off the driveway isn't as fun. I don't think I have any coins that relate to any of the seasons, but I do have some Canadian large cents that are quite pretty. This one is my favorite: 1911CanCentOBV 2.jpg 1911CanCentREV 2.jpg

expat likes this.
  10. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

Entry Post:
    My favorite season...
    I love both Fall and Winter. Fall? Because of cooler weather (but not too cool), the colors, food (thanksgiving). Winter? If I don't have to go anywhere, I hole up inside with a fire, cocoa, and a book/movie. and of course, Christmas.

Please note: I do NOT own this. (Yet)
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the opportunity :shame:

lordmarcovan, expat and Joshua Lemons like this.
  11. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Entry Post-- Thanks very much for the Contest.:happy:
    I think I like Fall the best! Decent weather, changing leaves, falling leaves and the smells of fall season.
    Canadian Cents 19161920.jpg IMG_20220601_024131982.jpg

12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Entry post. October and CLEVELAND BASEBALL. Fall is the best. Cuz now we cuddle with are cubbies

13. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

ENTRY POST
    Autumn for me. The constant heat dissipates a bit and the sunrises and sunsets are spectacular. This was imaged through a yellow/orange filter to emphasize the sunrise/sunset. Thanks for the chance in another great giveaway.
    DSC00821.jpg DSC00822.jpg

14. Good Cents

Okay, great. Thank you!

Cheech9712 likes this.
  15. Good Cents

Entry Post.

Autumn is my favorite season. I love the full pallet of colors of autumn. I love that the oppressive, humid heat of summer has gone (where I live). I love the crisp air. And I have many great memories in Autumn.

Thank you Joshua for doing this contest! :)

Joshua Lemons likes this.
  16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Entry Post

Thank you, Joshua. I have several YN's here on the forum that I am partial to. If I am fortunate to win, I'll pick one of them to receive my prize.

When that first chill hits the air it reminds me of being young back in the Jurassic period. I live close the the county football fields and spend many evenings watching kids play football and loving the game many years before they get corrupted by the big money.
    football.jpg

And because the chill in the air reminds me of my youth, this was a coin I dreamed about as a young collector and was finally able to add to my collection just last year.
    0.01-1955-doubled-die-1_size0.jpg

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Knott's berry farm's is a fun place to visit....I made a trip to the left coast back in 1977 with a girlfriend
    And liked Knott's berry farm as much as Disney.
    You could actually pan for gold and find it !

Joshua Lemons likes this.
  18. beaver96

beaver96 Well-Known Member

Entry Post: Thank you for the contest and your generous prizes. If chosen Give my prize to @potty dollar 1878.
    I like late fall the best, cool enough so the bugs are gone, yet warm enough to enjoy the outdoor activities.

19. Joshua Lemons

And the winners are...
    #1 @expat
    Polish_20221031_003146493.png
    #2 @Abramthegreat
    Polish_20221031_003211430.png
    #3 @Randy Abercrombie
    Polish_20221031_003239238.png

Thanks to everyone who participated. @Abramthegreat I have your address from Secret Santa sign up. @expat and @Randy Abercrombie please DM me yours and I'll get your prizes out ASAP.

This will probably be the last contest for a couple months as I'm coordinating Secret Santa, so we'll start fresh in the new year with a contest in January. Also, is any of you haven't signed up for secret Santa, please DM me your address and refer to the sign up post!

20. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Signed in this morning to discover I have won a delightful colorised Australian quarter. Thank very much @Joshua Lemons for your generosity and a good contest. Congrats also to @Abramthegreat and @Randy Abercrombie for your prize winning entries. Sending my address by PM now.

21. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Thank you very much! And I would like to donate my price to @Matthew Kruse .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.