[CLOSED] Giveaway! Buffalo nickels

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Seattlite86, Aug 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Contest is CLOSED. Winner announced in Post #27.

Well, they’re culls, but they’re free. There are some Jefferson’s Lincoln cents, as well as liberty nickels. Potential opportunity to do coin art? If you want them, all you have to do is tell me what you will (honestly) do with them. I’ll select the winner by 10 August.

9D4D6C9F-93CF-40BC-BBEE-E369FD204A27.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

One thing is sure! I wouldn't give them to *i2i* because he would claim that every one was a new discovery, and we would have to put up with his ridiculous claims for months.

Chris

4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I buy rolls of worn Indian cents and Buffalo nickels on eBay to give away to kids. Why not try it yourself? It's fun to watch their eyes light up!

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I placed many similar stacks of old change like this strategically near the entrances of local grade and middle schools the week of The Great Coin Hunt.

6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

:joyful:

7. Seattlite86

Some of these are so bad, I wouldn’t give them to kids. I’ve got a lot of partial dates that I plan to do that with. Some of these are so bad off, that I don’t think it would be too much of a sin to use them for alternative purposes.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

This is a good idea.

9. Inspector43

Great idea. But Haz Mat or Homeland Security wasn't called? The school wasn't locked down?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Ha!.... I did my deed on Sunday. And in fact I was a bit worried about school security cameras wondering what an old guy was doing in front of various local schools. So my plan was to go plant the goods right after church. That way I was at least gussied up enough to look like I might be an alright guy...... Luckily, I was not faced with any law enforcement that day.

Autoturf, dchjr and Inspector43 like this.
  11. Inspector43

It's a real shame - the level of mistrust today. When we were young everyone was trusted until you proved that you were untrustworthy. Just the opposite today.

12. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I would do as many of the others here and share them with kids. But not in a creepy way... ;-)

j/k

Seattlite86 and Inspector43 like this.
  13. Joshg1928

Joshg1928 Active Member

I’d likely give some to my little sister, she likes to make jewelry and such. I’d save some for the nieces and nephews, and my newborn. For when I can get them to start appreciating the hobby.

I’ve also always wanted to try my hand at a few hobo nickels.

14. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I'd try nic a date or some other kind of treatment to see if the date would show up on the nickels with holes and hopefully fill a slot in my book. Any decent coins I would hold onto to give to those who genuinely want to start collecting coins.

15. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I would 1st Nic-a-date them and then give them to kids in my coin club. With a date, they can fill holes in their folders.

16. Inspector43

It is a chore to get young people interested. I have been a very active collector for over 70 years. We have 6 kids, 13 grandkids and 17 great grandkids. Only the oldest son is kind of interested. I think most kids today would be more interested in collecting old credit cards or cell phones.

17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I have been getting my niece & nephew interested in collecting.

In the past they have loved the sample slabs that I have been able to get for them, plus any other crazy items that I come across.

This would be a great start for them on 'real old' coins, and perhaps get them to join me at a coin show.

They live in Michigan, I am in NY, so we see them several times a year, and I have contests with them about coins, with coins as prizes.

They would have a blast with these!

Thanks for the chance.

18. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I have 3 young boys (we had 3 under 3 for a while but the oldest is just about to turn 4) who are not old enough to collect yet, but I have begun a collection of US and world coins for them. If lucky enough to win I would be giving the collection to them.

Railguy, Inspector43 and Seattlite86 like this.
  19. Inspector43

Help them early to understand values other than peer pressure and electronics. I hope they grow to be fine young men and avid collectors.

Ryro likes this.
  20. Seattlite86

Any of them need 1938-P Jeffersons by chance? I've got 8 of them and 8 slightly misaligned dies that they might appreciate. I'd be happy to send each kid a pairing, if they're in need.

21. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

The club does not meet again until September, we do not meet in July and August. I can find out then. Thanks for the offer.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.