[CLOSED] dwhiz Giveaway #1 (Thanksgiving contest)

Discussion in 'Contests' started by dwhiz, Nov 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coin Obsessed

Coin Obsessed Active Member

entry post 47

juris klavins likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

masterswimmer and dwhiz like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Many thanks to @dwhiz for this contest. The original thread was closed for further comments, so that is why I've started this thread. I received the Elongated Cents today.

I "borrowed" your original photo.
    ELONGATED CENTS FROM DWHIZ CONTEST NOV 2020.jpg

These will be a great addition to my collection. I was particularly drawn to the Ocean City and Assateague Island cents because my family started going to OC for the summer in 1952, and my Dad built our second cottage in 1965 in a small enclave called Snug Harbor which was directly across from the north end of Assateague Island.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with that area, the Chincoteague Ponies actually live on Assateague Island. They are wild horses that were shipwrecked on the island during the early colonial period. Once a year, the Chincoteague Fire Department herds the wild horses across the channel to auction off some of them so they don't end up overpopulating the island.

I used to take my Mom by boat across the bay to the north end of Assateague Island so she could take photos of the ponies to paint. In 1974, her painting of the Chincoteague Ponies took "Best of Show" in the Wicomico Art League.
    CHINCOTEAGUE PONIES ca. 1971.jpg
    @Paddy54 - I thought this might interest you.

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Assateague Island 053.JPG I must say I enjoyed my trip there.Ocean City and Assateague Island are a pleasure to visit. I really liked the car show at OC Assateague Island 041.JPG

6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

WoW ! Actual Horses on the beach . Nice Pics !

Inspector43 and Penny Luster like this.
  7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

What horses?

Sorry, my bad.

dwhiz and AmishJedi like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Actually they're not horses. They are full grown and are known as ponies. My favorite beach, Chincoteague, is full of them.

dwhiz likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

My apologies for prematurely locking this thread to replies. I usually try to leave them open long enough for the giveaway recipients to post about the goodies they received. I just got a little ahead of myself in doing the forum housekeeping.

@cpm9ball - I moved your post and the subsequent replies back here, into the original thread, and have unlocked it for a while longer. Sorry 'bout that.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

No problem! Your efficiency surpasses your exuberance!:woot:;):):smug::rolleyes::shame:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

OK, I'm locking this up again, for routine forum housekeeping reasons, but if you need me to unlock it (or any other of the archived threads), @dwhiz, just LMK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.