[CLOSED] Contest for Uncirculated 1944-P United States Coin Set. See rules in thread

Discussion in 'Contests' started by flyers10, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris11111952

Chris11111952 Member

Funny I am trying to do a WW2 set

Hookman and flyers10 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. My favorite? Nickels, all series and varieties. I try to fill out each year with a variety, RPM, MPD, RPD and Doubled Dies. I am trying to get every known Jefferson RPM/OMM. I am attempting the same with Liberty Nickel RPD. I start each series by buying the 'key' in nice no 'Details' coins or well known variety. I now have a Three Legged 1937-D and a 1918/7-D Buffalos, so it's time to work on the set. My very first purchase was in 1965, an uncirculated 1950-D Jefferson. Love at first sight! :wacky:

4. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I would have to say the Walking Liberty. I'm always drawn to them and I think the eagle is the finest.

Stevearino, Hookman and flyers10 like this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Welcome back @flyers10
    I am a nickel nut Buffs and Jeffs. For the most part I hunt the variety's but they have to have some originality to them.

6. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

My favorite American coin series, at least, in my opinion, is the Standing Liberty Quarter. I simply find the Standing Liberty Quarter to be a beautiful and underappreciated design that is overshadowed by the Mercury Dime and Walking Liberty Half Dollar.

On the other hand, since I also collect world coins, I thought I would share my favorite world coin series. I'm sure most of you are familiar with Benedetto Pistrucci's rendition of Saint George and the Dragon. The design appeared on Great Britain's Five Shillings coin commonly known as a crown as well as other gold and bullion coins. The Five Shillings coin bearing this design was produced intermittently from 1818 to 1951 with the exception of the Gothic, Wreath, and Rocking Horse types.

1896 Crown Great Britain Reverse.JPG

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  7. martybox

martybox Member

Lincoln Cents-it's the series that got me started in 1960!

Hookman, SmokinJoe and flyers10 like this.
  8. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I don’ know if you would call it a series, but I like the Oregon Trail commemorative half dollars.

Zeppelingirl, Hookman and flyers10 like this.
  9. RoseWesche

RoseWesche Official "Crazy Cat Lady"

First off, welcome back and thank you for your generosity! I cannot honestly say that I have a favorite. If the coin has an interesting design then I like it. Doesn’t matter to me if it’s old or new, or U.S our foreign. I try to learn something from each one I come across.

10. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

My Grand Mother gave me a silver dollar for my 9th birthday and it was beautiful. I carried it every where, Grandma died shortly after giving me the huge beautiful Morgan silver dollar and I love them to this day and always will.

11. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I have three favorite series of US coins, Classic head half cents, seated liberty half dimes and mercury dimes. I have and affinity for most issues of the 19th century and early twentieth. My favorite world coin series are British Maundy money plus classic coins of Latin America.

12. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Welcome back & thanks for you generous FREEBY!
    Being that my birth year is 1944 it was a no=brainer to at least throw my hat into the ring.
    My favorite U.S type is the Standing Liberty Quarter. I met the unfortunately deceased King Of the SLQ's J.(Jay) H. Cline at the Houston Money Show many years ago and his expertise + his kindness close the deal.
    J.T.

13. David Hill

David Hill New Member

Ok, count me in!
    My favorite coin series has to be the Indian Head/Buffalo nickel. The reason is that while other countries/nations/regional entities can and do place various political figures or national animals on their coins, the United States is the only entity that can place a Bison on its coinage. (It's possible that Canada can as well, but I don't believe they ever have.) A beautiful coin in many respects. A noble Native American profile on the obverse and a magnificent American Bison (Buffalo) on the reverse.

14. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Welcome back and Thank You for this contest.
    For me......War nickels. They have a history and story to tell. They are still findable. I am working on a full set.

15. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Like Kentucky, I'm all over the place. I try to stay in my lane and stick with US coinage. Started with IH Cents, Lincolns and Dimes, in my budget when I was young. Now that my eyes don't work as well as they used to, (can't even see the date on a dime without a glass nowadays) and my budget now allows, I've shifted to Silver Eagles, Morgans (got me started again after a couple decade gap) and the Classic Commemorative's. Eagles for the silver and beauty. Morgans because it's such a beautiful design and they are mostly affordable and available. Classic Commem's because of the variety and history.

Hookman, Kentucky and flyers10 like this.
  16. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome back home and thanks for the opportunity. I can't narrow it down to just one as my favorites are: Morgans, Walking Liberty half, Standing Liberty Quarter, Mercury Head dimes, Buffalo nickels, and Indian Head cents. I'm currently focusing on completing the best possible set I can of Buffalo nickels and have all but four of them in AU to MS. Yes, I have the three legged as well as some more difficult ones, but the 1918/7 still eludes me so far.

17. CommemHalfScrub

CommemHalfScrub Active Member

Welcome back! My favorite coin series is the commemorative half dollars (even though there are many designs) because they represent so much of America's history, many of them are beautifully designed, and some have odd/funny stories (like the guy who re-drew the Spanish trail and got it on a coin).

18. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Favorite series? Hmm. That's a tough one.

My mind wants to treat it as different than "favorite design" for some reason, so that's what I'm going with.

I may enjoy certain *designs* more, but I just love the look of a completed album of matching (or better yet colorfully-toned) Lincoln Wheat cents.

Hookman, SmokinJoe and flyers10 like this.
  19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Even crackheads need a little love!
    1935 Crackhead Buffalo.jpg
    ~ Chris ROFLMAO 1.gif

Hookman, Kentucky, Nyatii and 3 others like this.
  20. SmokinJoe

SmokinJoe Well-Known Member

I have been ( like a lot of CT members ) strongly attracted to Wheat Cents...I will tell you why, When I was a young kid...I'm guessing 8 - 9 years old, I was playing in front of my place of residency I will call it....An apartment building where my parents had a nice apartment for us...It was on a dead end street which I liked a lot cause I could play in the street and not have to worry about cars / traffic...Well I was playing in the street one day and a neighbor of ours who owned his own house came out to walk his little dog....He saw me and starting talking to me and asked me if I collect coins....I said no, and he said, " follow me"...He took me into his basement and wow....He had huge glass bottles loaded with coins....He asked me if I liked pennies, I told him yes I do...and he reached into a large glass jar, grabbed a handful of pennies ( that's what they were called back then ) and he gave them to me. He said, " Go home and look at all those pennies...They are all Wheat pennies so you look for them ." And that's what I have been doing ever since.:)

Attached Files:

21. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Thank you for the contest and welcome back !
    My favorite coin series is the 2 1/2 gold Indian. They are simply amazing. The one I own is seen beside a Morgan dollar in my avatar picture. Thanks!

flyers10 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.