[CLOSED] Chris B Wildman Giveaway 2 Prizes

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Chris B, Aug 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I still have the 1936 Mercury dime that was the first coin in my collection. It is a humble VG or so. I found it in my grandmother's silverware drawer while setting the table for Thanksgiving dinner in 1976. There's something to be said for those "sentimental" coins.

Good Cents and Abramthegreat like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Great coin to start with.

Nice. I can't really say what my first coin was but it had to a Lincoln cent. My grandfather and I used to sit around and fill the blue Whitman folders. I still have my folders. They aren't going anywhere.

4. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

"entry post"
    One of my favorites, (today) because I was just looking at it earlier and remembered sending it away to get graded hoping for a straight AU58 and it coming back graded MS62 by ANACS.

1878 S Trade Dollar
    1878STRADE.jpg
    Thank you for the contest!

5. Chris B

Can't beat that. Just coming back without a "bodybag" would have been good enough for me.

TheNickelGuy likes this.
  6. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Entry post. Hope this works
    My Columbus coin I got for lordmarcovan. I like Columbus cuz my ma said he discovered the new world. If I win. I wish you to send it to @cpm9ball. We’re thinking of him. ENTRY POST

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    LakeEffect, Good Cents and Chris B like this.
  7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Quite the prize. Very nice

Good Cents likes this.
  8. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Entry Post

I have too many "favorites" to choose from, but with respect to the freaky wildman, this newp will fit right in.

Z

Screenshot_20220808-220430_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220808-220433_eBay.jpg

9. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

Thank you Lord M for clarifying!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. Chris B

Well, that is quite...unusual I guess would be the best world. It's the type of thing I would buy if I saw it.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  11. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

Entry Post

My favorite coin is a big, 10oz silver "Coaster" issued in 2018 by the British Royal Mint called "Valiant".

The reason it is my favorite coin is because I think it is gorgeous. Like many coins, you have to see it in person to truly see how beautiful it is. The second reason it is my favorite coin is because it was the first and only 10oz coin I ever owned. It was a a big investment for me, and I believe it has paid off.

This coin was the first of the new British "Valiant" silver design that the British Royal Mint started issuing beginning 2018.

But the design was modified from 2019 and on because there were collectors who complained very loudly and adamantly about the design when the coin was issued. These people with either very loud voices or some who held the ear of the powers that be, were of the opinion that the words "10oz FINE SILVER 999.9" were obscured and almost hidden by the background pattern and that this design was therefore a terribly flawed one and must be modified.

Although I strongly disagree with that opinion, not only did nobody ask me, but I didn't add my voice to any chorus of those who disagreed because it was unfathomable to me that the British Royal Mint would actually listen to that criticism and change the design for future years in order to make the words "10oz FINE SILVER 999.9" more prominently displayed on the coin.

But change it they did. And I am not a fan of the change and like the 2018 design much, much better. I think the 2018 cannot be compared in it's beauty to the changed design.

You can see the changed design which was issued from 2019 and onward at the Royal Mint's website here:
    https://www.royalmint.com/invest/bu...-coins/valiant-2021-10oz-silver-bullion-coin/

So, without intending to, I bought a coin that has a design limited to 1 year, which makes it more collectible. And that makes me like it even more! :)

Here are some professional pictures of the 2018 "Valiant" 10oz silver coin issued by the British Royal Mint (I don't have a good camera so my pictures would pale in comparison).

British Silver Valiant 10oz 2018 Pic 1.jpg British Silver Valiant 10oz 2018 Pic 3.jpg British Silver Valiant 10oz 2018 Pic 2.jpg

12. Chris B

Beautiful coin.

Good Cents likes this.
  13. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Entry Post

My favorite coin, this week ;) , has to be my 1857 Flying Eagle cent. Why? Because there are only two years in the series. Well three officially if you include the elusive 1856. I'm sometimes short on my attention span. Only two or three coins to complete the series suites me perfectly.

Thanks @Chris B for this contest and opportunity to join in the festivities.

20220809_151733.jpg

20220809_151901.jpg

14. Chris B

That's part of the reason I stopped collecting US coins. I got tired of building sets. Most of what I collect isn't part of any real set.

Nice coin, by the way. What's the grade?

15. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

I can totally appreciate your collecting approach. Very similar to @lordmarcovan and his 100 eclectic collection where every single coin is remarkable.

The FEC above is PCGS MS64

spirityoda, expat, Good Cents and 2 others like this.
  16. Chris B

Don't forget about the second part of this giveaway. We are leaving for Chicago this morning. Hopefully, we will see some of you up there this week.

lordmarcovan and expat like this.
  17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Envy is thee word for today. Sweet flying eagle coin. :jawdrop::cool:

lordmarcovan and masterswimmer like this.
  18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Ditto. I’ve not had one of that caliber.

spirityoda and masterswimmer like this.
  19. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Entry post

I have to admit that German States are a huge blind spot for me and that pfennig is really cool.

On different days you might get a different favorite but I think many days it’s this one. Just love the history and the life it had before I got it.

upload_2022-8-19_22-7-45.jpeg

upload_2022-8-19_22-8-3.jpeg

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Entry Post
    Gotta go with Alexander's Ragtime Band
    Alexander ragtime band obv.jpg Alexander ragtime band rev.jpg

21. Chris B

It was a fun week at the WFOM but I am tired. Sure was nice to sleep in my own bed.

Drawing #1 had 7 entries. I used a random number generator to pick a winner.

WM 01.jpg

The winner of the copper Pfennig is @Kentucky

Only 2 verified members of CT visited my table. It was nice to meet @okbustchaser and @Mr. Flute

Same deal, random number generator was used.

WM 02.jpg

The winner of the silver 1/6th thaler is @Mr. Flute.

Mr. Flute and Kentucky, please message me your mailing address and these will be sent out ASAP.

Thank you to everyone who participated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.