Close AM penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Lisa1980, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Lisa1980

Lisa1980 Member

Is this an example of a close AM penny? The letters appear to be touching, but I am new to all of this amd would like to be absolutely sure it is not wishful thinking. Thank you all for the feedback!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That is a close AM. That is also correct for that date. You are looking for a 1992 Close AM.

4. robec

robec Junior Member

It is a Close AM cent.

But according to Lincoln Cent Resource, this is normal.

"Until 1992, both proof and business strike
    Lincoln cents were made using the same
    type of reverse die all with a Wide AM. In
    1992 the mint created a new reverse with a
    Close AM
    that seems to be intended for use
    starting with a with 1993 cents. All 1993
    cents, proof and business strikes, have a Close AM reverse. However, 1992 and
    1992 D business strike cents have been
    found with Close AM reverses. 1992 D
    Close AM's are considered extremely rare.
    1992 (P) cents with a Close AM reverse are
    even rarer."

5. Lisa1980

Lisa1980 Member

Bummer! Well at least I know what I am supposed to look for. Thank you guys!

6. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

I found one 2000 P wide AM in my searches. It's the most common but it still took 2 years to find...lol. All this time I've also been checking 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 Denver mint cents. Now I finally studied a little and discovered that the only Denver series AM error is on the 1992.. I'm not checking the Denver 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 ones any more and am going to save a lot of time. That's an example of how a little bit of research can make searching more productive.

Lisa1980 and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. Lisa1980

Lisa1980 Member

Well since you mentioned it, I am going through my cent pile to look through the 1990s and 2000s. No valuable penny yet, but I have filled a number of pill bottles with the recent issues that are in top notch condition. I hate to send shiny, unscathed money back to the bank. It can just hang out with me and stay pretty.

Draft saved Draft deleted