Clipped Planchet? 1948 Nickel

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Melina, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Hey guys,

Found this nickel in a roll - could it be a clipped planchet? I looked at the side, it doesn't look like it was smashed in because the letters on the coin are not buldging in, and instead look like they were just chopped off. I took a photo of the side of the coin to show this.

Any word on what this may be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Doesn't seem to exhibit the Blakesley effect, which should accompany any legit clipped planchet. Given that and how fairly well-struck the letters in the area of the clip are, I'm going to go PMD.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think it could be real.

The Blakesley effect does not always appear on legitimate clipped planchets.

5. Siggi Palma

Siggi Palma Well-Known Member

This is a real

6. ronterry

ronterry New Member

That my friend is a HOBO screw driver!

It doesn't look clipped to me, but more like a bad planchet. I guess it could of been clipped, and just worn smooth?

7. Melina

Melina Nickel Addict

Coolio - does this add to the value at all?

8. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I don't believe it be clipped either... Look at the last pic... There appears to be a lip in the effected area. Also look how well the inside ofthe D is struck... That close to a clip would not be that strongly struck...I vote for ground.

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Did someone mention my name??

10. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

Its PMD - Post mint damage

11. GJ1103

GJ1103 coin addicted Navy man

It looks to me like someone might have tried to make it look like a clipped planchet. Also, it might not be a bad idea for you to get in the habit of holding your coins by the rim only.

Draft saved Draft deleted