Clipped 1945 wheat

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by chromerunner, Jan 11, 2015.

1. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

What would the value of a error like this be? I do not collect errors but Found this beauty in a wheat lot yesterday.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420995889.725886.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420995905.483180.jpg

tommyc03 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't think it is a true clip from the Mint. I don't see any evidence of the Blakesley Effect on the opposite rim.

I think it is PMD.

Chris

4. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

5. eddio

eddio Well-Known Member

I have a few but they are Canadian yours looks like one that I have but I can not be sure..cheers

6. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

I don't see a problem with this one. It's not uncommon for the Blakesley effect to be absent on large clips. As far as value goes, probably a few bucks.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

This picture convinces me that it is not a clipped planchet. The clip is not an exact arc and the rim/lettering near the edge is too sharp.

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

If it were a genuine clip, it would be worth $5 to $10. Clips on pennies are common.

However, yours is not a genuine clip. It is PMD. Thus, the already low value circulated wheat cent is now worth about 1 cent.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't think the clip is large enough to negate the Blakesley Effect. I still think it is PMD.

Chris

10. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

The D in GOD, and the field between the D and the rim looks like it was deburred. There is a taper there.

11. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

12. physics-fan3.14

Almost every single clip will show the effect. The only ones which won't are very, very minor clips (the tiniest clips will show as a disturbance of the rim, but even the reeding may still be present - I wouldn't expect the Blakesly effect for a clip of this size).

A clip as large as the one in the OP absolutely must show the Blakesly effect. Without it, I don't think there is an error expert anywhere that would proclaim it geniune.

13. jallengomez

This is incorrect. It's actually larger clips that tend to not show the Blakeley effect.

From error-ref.com-

"The Blakesley effect is not always present, especially when the deficit is very large. In the latter case, effective striking pressure is high enough to cause coin metal to completely fill the rim gutter of the die. Effective striking pressure is increased because the entire tonnage of the strike is concentrated on a piece of metal whose area is substantially smaller than a normal planchet."

http://www.error-ref.com/blanking-and-cutting-errors/

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. physics-fan3.14

Can you show some examples of genuine clips without the blakesley effect? I've never heard of this. The only pictures shown in your link still display it.

15. jallengomez

tommyc03 likes this.
  16. physics-fan3.14

Well that's interesting.

17. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

I thought the bigger the clip means the less metal being pushed across the die to form ridge areas??

Draft saved Draft deleted