Clio......why do you do this?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 4to2centBC, Sep 27, 2017.

1. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

I doubt that the Sheik ever bid on the low/mid quality stuff CNG and others offer in e-auctions. And I suspect Clio enjoys bulling small collectors at e-auctions while chickens and sits on his hands in NAC when the 6 digit figures come in.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

I don't understand your personal anger and ill will directed at this collector. He simply outbid you at the last second on the coins that you both wanted. So what? If he has a bigger coin budget than you (and he appears to have a bigger budget than any collector known), he'll win more often than lose. If you have a bigger coin budget than another collector, you'll do the same. What's the big deal?

4. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Here is the coin that I clio'ed Clio :):

VANDALS. Pseudo-Imperial coinage. Circa 440-490. Æ Nummus (9mm, 0.46 g, 12h). Diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Christogram surrounded by pellets; all within wreath. MEC 1, –; BMC Vandals 161.

[​IMG]

Ajax, Curtisimo, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I will assume it is very special and can’t wait to read your write-up about it. :)

Caesar_Augustus likes this.
  6. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Clio, schmio - my computer decided to get sluggish at the worst possible time and I never got to upgrade my bids. I got nothing. Clio was not after these either. Phooey!

TypeCoin971793 and ominus1 like this.
  7. Agricantus

Agricantus Allium aflatunense

Hats off to Clio for the interesting coins he buys. I hope some of these coins go back for sale while I’m still alive and with disposable income.

I have 4 Thessaly coins from the BCD collection (they are beautiful, trust me, people love them) that I got for good prices. I credit that to the constant availability of ex BCD coins in cng auctions.

ab initio and Ryro like this.
  8. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I really figured all this talk about Clio was hogwash but in my first ever CNG auction bid guess what? No biggie.

[​IMG]

Curtisimo and ominus1 like this.
  9. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I love CT is that whenever I lose on an auction that I really, really, really wanted to win, I just come to CT & see all the wonderful coins & possibilities & realize my target wasn't that important after all & there are many other options to pursue.

I realize that doesn't work for someone who has been searching for years for a particular coin, or for those who live & die by winning @ whatever it is they are doing, but it is a very pragmatic thing to do.

10. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

This is an issue, Daniel, that you shouldn't be asking your buddies here. Ask your conscience - something even some numismatologists have.

ominus1 likes this.
  11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Bring it, don't sing it! Let's see those beauties!

ab initio and ominus1 like this.
  12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

There are always other coins, right? :)

TBH, the chase and wait are part of the fun anyway. I have posted here I had to wait 8 years to obtain just a "scarce" coin once. It made the final acquisition that much sweeter. If we can always buy whatever we want whenever we wanted, (it is just a matter of price), we would be collecting US coins.

dlhill132, Ryro, PlanoSteve and 3 others like this.
  13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

O, it's not the kill, its the thrill of the chase(Deep Purple, knockin' on your back door ref.)....if there was no chance of losing, our hearts wouldn't race so at those last few seconds and we wouldn't sit at our computers for days watching "that" coin..i understand, i feel a loss losing a coin i wanted and "thought" i'd win* with my bid.. but after a little while, we get over it and move on to another coin/mountain to win/climb and own/conquer... the agony makes the next victory sweeter, and it may be just a coin you've wanted a while and happen upon it after that last loss you thought you'd never get over at a good price .. keep on keepin on and good hunting to you..^^..

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  14. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

15. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

You seem to be the only one "in distress". I certainly prefer my bids winning rather than losing but at the end of the day the purpose of an auction house is to sell coins to the highest bidder. As long as that bidder is paying his bills I see no reason for an auction house to stop this and further as a potential consignor one day I would find it very concerning if an auction house did anything to stop a bidder from buying too many lots. Honestly there are plenty of coins out there and one bidder is not in any way destroying the hobby. There are hundreds of auctions per year full of the same sort of stuff sold in CNG e-Auctions, not to mention fixed price venues like Vcoins and eBay stores.

16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

O kickass!!..1st time i've ever heard:singing: it done live... one of my favorite DP songs!..:) you've inspired me to dig out my Peavey and Marshall and play again..thanks Orfew.:D

Ryro likes this.
  17. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

It makes me want to get out my Peavey and Custom Shop 1957 reissue strat. It has not been played in a while. These days I am relying on my Martin acoustic.

ominus1 likes this.
  18. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Last week I saw a tetradrachm of Alexander II Zabinas on a Heritage auction. I though why not get it and replace a lesser example currently in my collection. I contacted somebody who was bidding on the auction and she said bid double estimate. I said okay but thought; Am I insane !!! Over 3K for a Zabinas. I must be crazy. Well it went for over 7 K. Thank you to all the Clio s in the world. At least I don't feel quite as stupid after this.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It was a singularly gorgeous example with a good pedigree. (And it had the magic letters and numbers on the label, which seem to guarantee big bidding from Heritage customers).

That was a surprisingly big price though.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  20. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Are you talking about this one?
    aaa.jpg
    The only reason I remember it is because I was watching the lot following it. This coin sold for 9k plus fees. I'm curious what it would have gone for in a 2018 Triton auction and no slab?

21. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

That is one gorgeous coin. Frankly if I had the money I would have gladly paid that price.

Draft saved Draft deleted