Clio......why do you do this?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 4to2centBC, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Not that I don't pull a Clio on several auctions, it makes it worse when the person who Clio'd you is Clio!

Caesar_Augustus likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

20180304_231246.jpg

I was the under bidder, to Clio, for this unpublished Seleukos I tet and I would much rather he have outbid me than someone else. At least when Clio wins I know there was no way I was going home with the coin and it won't bug me. When someone else snipes me I will kick myself with the thought that if I had bid a few bucks more I might have won a really desired coin.

4. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

I wonder what number Clio types in when he goes for the bid 2 seconds before a lot closes.

5. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I wonder if Clio ever gets Clio'd? I picked one up today that will probably be my buy of the year.

Jay GT4 likes this.
  6. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

I think, by definition, Clio cannot be Clio'd. It simply defies the laws of physics.

beef1020, Carausius, Carthago and 2 others like this.
  7. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Well, I have Clio'd Clio when he Clio'd me with a less than a second remaining. Must have been a rift in the space-time continuum...

8. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Unless Clio is at the "nexus of the Universe"! :smuggrin:

Caesar_Augustus likes this.
  9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Hmmm ... I can't wait to see it!

Caesar_Augustus, Curtisimo and Nemo like this.
  10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Haha! Love it. As an admitted po boy collector I have never been "Clio'd". Though I aspire to be some day:artist::greedy: Until then could I ask to see the coin that you ganked from the master ganker?!

Curtisimo and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  11. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

I enjoyed witnessing yesterday Clio getting Clio'd for this Bisaltai electrotype https://cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=359318 Clio bid 1200$ around 2-3 seconds before closure and got Clio'd by "gergerly g" at 1 second before closure for 1300$. I hope that he now burns out of anger inside his dungeon. It was easy to spot at the fakes session how Clio works. There is no master strategy just brute force (money). He chose which coins he wanted and predetermined his maximum bid, which I believe was blindly 1200$ for everything.

I suspect that I have also indirectly Clio'd Clio. His last sec bid didn't pass through and then he proxied the auctioneer to pay me the double of the hammer price to resell him the coin I won.

It is not bad or unethical to bid at the last second. It is the interest of the collectors to protect themselves from shill bidders and fraudulent auctioneers. But what Clio is doing is destroying the hobby and is putting many collectors in distress. You can't simply buy 1/3 of the auction lots every time driving the prices up without any collection theme. If you don't like what Clio is doing, I would propose that you send an email to the auctioneers mentioning it and informing the auctioneers that you will abstain from any future auctions until this calling station black hole gets blocked or disappears. If there is a critical mass of complaints the auctioneers would probably get alarmed.

12. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I disagree. If you had the means and desire to win a third of the lots, would you not as well? And why would the auction house restrict the number of lots you can win? If you are going to throw a tantrum, then this hobby is not for you. Sure, it is annoying, but it is hardly the end of the world.

What you can do is wait for the coins you want to show up at smaller auction houses. Not only would you be supporting the smaller fish, you might likely be bidding in an action ignored by clio.

zumbly, Svarog, PlanoSteve and 5 others like this.
  13. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Would you tolerate an auction house dictating to you how many lots you can bid on and how much to bid? I think not.

And yes, I have been 'clio'd' in the past and do not begrudge the fact.

Svarog, PlanoSteve, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I don't begrudge Clio any of the coins he wins. In fact I admire him and think he has rather good taste in coins. About 70% of the time I can figure out what is special about a coin he targets. The other 30% reminds me I still have a lot more to learn...

I have been Clio'd on coins and at least one rarity that won't come around again soon that I threw everything I could at. I still don't begrudge it to him.

In fact I think Clio should join CT so we can all hang out and hear first hand why he chose which coin. Failing that there is always plan B:
    IMG_0786.JPG
    Hint hint

15. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that the discussion is related to CNG/ROMA/OBOLOS e-auctions that inherently contain coins of lesser quality.

16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Your point?

Curtisimo likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

As I read this theory, it is fine for you to pay more than me but when someone pays more than you they are violating your rights?

I greatly regret not being able to research his wins after the fact but you have to watch the CNG lots as they close to know who won them. I get a lot more free education out of auctions than I get coins.

It is not up to us who should and who should not be allowed to participate on CT. We have the owners for that. I appreciate all who are interested in the coins and like to talk about them. I could live without those whose ONLY interest is how much they are worth. That is usually code for how much we can trick someone into overpaying for our coins. Clio will not be selling his coins for a quick profit. I would absolutely love to have him join us here.

If the auctioneer closed the sale and then required you to accept this offer after the fact, that auctioneer should be driven out of the business. If you had the option to keep the coin and refuse the offer, no harm, no foul.

Years ago I reserved a coin by phone and mailed a check to the seller. Later that day a much more important client ordered the same coin. The seller returned my check. When the buyer found out what had been done, he ordered the seller to reverse the wrong decision. I still have that coin and considerable respect for that more important client's integrity.

18. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

The predator that will kill all prey for pleasure will die of famine in the end,

19. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Let us rise up and virtually force Clio to join our ranks! Grab the pitch forks!!

Not in Clio's case. ;)

beef1020 and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  20. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

That is an interesting data point, for a few reasons.

I have bid against 'gergerly g' in the past. Sniped Clio....wow Apparenty he/she is a bidder with some chops.

That first sentence is hyerbolic (I hope.) And as for the second sentence.....well, this thread has partially demonstrated that you can do exactly what you describe.

Auctions are more than just "buying" a coin. There is a real time competition occurring simultaneously. It is why we always call our auction hunts wins and losses. It is a bit of a sport. Don't become a sore sport. It is all just a game.

:angelic:

btw I would never sell a coin I just won, for double the hammer. But the offer would make my win feel sweeter.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Orfew and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  21. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have no idea if I have ever been Clio'ed. I know I have lost way more auctions than I ever have won. Heck, yesterday I lost by a half bid on HA.com. Do I get pissed? Yeah, at times. Am I mad at myself for not bidding more? Sometimes.

Whatever. We all have budgets and constraints in life. We buy what we can afford at the time. I wanted a coin like my avatar coins for many years before I could finally afford one, now I have about 5.

Life comes and goes, there will always be others with deeper pockets. Buy what you can, enjoy your coins, and know someday all of these coins will most likely come back onto the market. Maybe your kids will have a chance to buy them the next time.

Anyone who is mad about Clio, were you also mad about the Sheik? He destroyed markets for years as well. Imagine being an Islamic collector when he was putting together his COMPLETE Islamic collection . You had no chance of getting anything he needed.

Orfew and TypeCoin971793 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted