Clio......why do you do this?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 4to2centBC, Sep 27, 2017.

1. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I got clipped again. I threw $2k at it with 3 seconds to go and had it for 2 seconds at $1,000

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=345007

[​IMG]

btw

This is a rehash of the Fourree Athenian Tet from the last auction. Although this time it was a much higher price that I threw at it.

And the WHY?.....Is really rhetorical. I know why.....sigh.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. He got me on 2 of my bids. Haha. I only got away with 1 win this week.

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Here is what I imagine Clio looks like...

darth-vader.jpg

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Here's what I imagine his closet looks like...

Big Stack of Money.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  6. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I am still a bit stunned. And VERY disappointed. Just as I was with the aforementioned fourree.

Been looking for the "right" one of these for over twelve years. Only bid on a few.

I was actually happy I had not bought one earlier when I saw it.

Whiplash, yes, that is the word that describes how I feel. Psychic whiplash.

Off to remember that there are greater things in life to lament.

beef1020, Stevearino and Mikey Zee like this.
  7. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

Where Clio stores his coins

[​IMG]

8. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Misery loves company perhaps, but Clio got me at literally the last second on this one
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=345081

I sniped it just ahead of him, but with a smaller number. Apparently most of us would do that. Presumably s/he knows what they got.

Ah well, this time around I got nothing. On to tomorrow and Sunday!

Mikey Zee and 4to2centBC like this.
  9. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

I have an issue I need to ask someone about. Maybe not related to this, but I just had a conversation with someone claiming to be sheikh Muhammed Bin Al Rashid from the United Arab Emirates on a YouTube video about the Houston hurricane. He wants to donate money. I responded by saying I don't live there but half jokingly said I could use $50,000 for my coin collection. He actually told me to send him a private email and provided a link. Should I?

Kentucky and iamtiberius like this.
  10. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

I will give you permission to talk to the sheikh, but only after you have read the Wikipedia article "Advance-fee scam".

11. yes

12. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

Yeah why not.. can you tell him to send me a few thousand too

13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Welcome to the Ancients Forum Daniel! Ask him to send a dhow full of ancient gold darics.

Sorry, I was going for the laughs ;) No—don't connect with him!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  14. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Well, obviously this is not the familiar 'Sheik' many of us know (or knew). al-Thani passed away about three years ago (he spent a reported billion dollars on coins and art). He was the 'Clio' of his time (though 'Clio' was active the same time, creating some really incredible prices).

As for the original post, why worry? When one goes up against billions of dollars (yea, its true. Multiple Billions!), well, there simply isn't any point worrying about it is there?

beef1020, benhur767, GerardV and 4 others like this.
  15. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Do you reckon Clio buys for an institution, like a museum? If he is who I think he is, then he is certainly a dealer, and perhaps buys many of these things for his customers, but I can't imagine the prices he pays works for just simply stocking a store...

16. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I just got an email from a Nigerian prince. As soon as we work out our little financial arrangement, I will be able to buy all the coins I want!!!

17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

LOL

Mikey Zee likes this.
  18. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Wow. That loss had to sting. Misery does indeed love company; 'clio' has sniped a few from me as well. One in particular still hurts.

4to2centBC likes this.
  19. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Ouch... I saw that one and thought it was fantastic. I thought about throwing a bid at as well but figured I would just be punching way way above my weight. So sad and so true...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    4to2centBC likes this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

For several years prior to email becoming the common means of sending messages, I used to get HAND-WRITTEN letters from Nigeria wanting to buy our inventories, and to ready-load them into Containers for them to release payments via "bank transfers." Man, those scams have been around for YEARS! Now they all go to my SPAM and I do not see the onslaught of emails anymore.

Sicily Mamertini 288-278 BCE AE Pentonkion Mars-Eagle Mercenary Samnites Messana.JPG
    Sicily Mamertini 288-278 BCE AE Pentonkion Mars-Eagle Mercenary Samnites Messana

21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@4to2centBC , man that just burns when it is the last seconds! I have lost some nasty ones like that in other auctions which take me forever to lick my wounds.

I captured one of mine in hand-to-hand combat with a good friend of mine in NC. Perry Siegel with Herakles Numismatics always has quality coins. Although I paid $25 MORE than I wanted, the relationship and actually having it in hand was a wonderful feeling:

RR Anon Quadrigatus Janus 225-215 BCE Cr 28-3 Sear 31.jpg
    RR Anon Quadrigatus Janus 225-215 BCE Craw 28/3 Sear 31

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted