Cleopatra Thea and her son, Antiochus VIII

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Cleopatra Thea, not to be confused with the consort of Caesar and Mark Antony, was one of antiquity's most remarkable women. She was successively wife of three Seleucid kings and mother of two, the first of whom she murdered, the second of whom is seen here associated with her in rule.

For more about her, see this, this, and this.

Post your Seleucids or anything you might feel is relevant!

Cleopatra Thea Antiochus VIII.jpg
    Cleopatra Thea, Queen of Syria, with son Antiochus VIII
    Seleucid AR tetradrachm, 15.85 gm, 27 mm
    Antioch mint, 125-121 BC
    Obv: Jugate busts, r.
    Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΙΣΣΗΣ ΚΛΕΟΠΑΤΡΑΣ ΚΑΙ ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ, Zeus Nikephoros seated l., holding lotus-tipped scepter; IE outer left, A under throne
    Refs: SNG Spaer 2437; c.f. Sear 7135
    Notes: Ex-Henry Clay Lindgren. An obverse die match to an example sold in Baldwin's, Dmitry Markov and M&M Numismatics New York Sale IX, January 13, 2005.

This coin was featured in an article in the April, 2004 issue of The Celator (p. 60), previewing the auction from which I purchased it:

Capture.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Very attractive coin!!!!

I'll pile on with a bronze of Cleopatra I (Paphos?, not Alexandria?) 201-176 BC that I purchased from A-Noob.....Jeez, how many Cleo's were there anyway :confused:;)

Apparently, she was known as.....

Cleopatra I Syra, (died 176 bc), queen of Egypt (193–176 bc), wife of Ptolemy V Epiphanes and regent for her minor son, Ptolemy VI Philometor.

Daughter of Antiochus III the Great of the Syrian Empire, Cleopatra was married to Ptolemy V in 193 as part of the Peace of Lysimacheia, concluding warfare and border conflicts between Syria and Egypt. She brought as her dowry the revenues (but apparently not the ownership) of Coele-Syria, a land that Egypt had long sought to recover; and the total agreement helped to ensure Egypt’s neutrality in Syria’s continuing struggles with the Romans. When Ptolemy V died (180), Cleopatra became the true ruler of Egypt as regent for her young son, and she ruled equitably, keeping peace with Syria while doing nothing to alienate Rome, and thereby kept Egypt free of invasion.

Cleopatra_IIAE anoob.jpg

4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Nice coin of a sweet couple . Here's One of the three husbands of Cleopatra III Thea , Antiochos VII 138-129 BC:

P1140233.JPG

Puckles, Mikey Zee, zumbly and 10 others like this.
  5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

6. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

I thought that this was Isis, or perhaps Cleopatra represented as Isis.

Roman Collector, Mikey Zee and TIF like this.
  7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

:rolleyes: Yep, Cleopatra as Isis is my understanding too:)

Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted